Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OPINION!! quick release?? or Airbag??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OPINION!! quick release?? or Airbag??

aight im just a 16 year old kid that is in love with nr g quick releases but my parents arent fond of me getting one because then i would lose the only airbag in my car.

but my question is

if i sit how i do in my seats sooo far back from the wheel, would the airbag even affect me? because i locked the seat belt where it would be and my face isnt near my steering wheel like i would hit my head on it.

but soon im getting racing seats and i was thinking if i had harnesses, would i really need airbags? because the harnesses would keep me strapped down to the seat.

what are your opinions

i have the money saved for the quick release and everything and want one SO bad
but its obviously not worth my life. but even at 16 honestly im a slow driver and dont street race and only go to the track. im not a crazy teen driver.
it would also add in security cuz i would get the hub lock.

let me know your opinions and if anything can convince my parents to be more comfortable with me having one.

thanks in advanced!

ps .. i know about ctr wheels and i dont want one because i hate how humongous my steering wheel is already and also want it to be smaller and less bulky
and the ctr is just as big as stock
Old 03-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OPINION!! quick release?? or Airbag?? (jxhxb)

Airbags are there for a reason. If you choose to give them up, then you are sacrificing your safety in a high speed crash. If you choose to keep them, you are sacrificing your face in a low speed crash because those things hurt like hell. Feels like you just got your *** kicked when that thing deploys. Of course its worth it in a highway speed crash, or a 40-0 impact even.

With a harness, you still might break your neck. you just wont fly out. Point is, crashes arent safe no matter what. airbags make them a little bit more survivable.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:34 PM

Default Re: OPINION!! quick release?? or Airbag?? (jadugartir)

i wouldn't sacrafice my airbag.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:26 PM
memoryFAB.com representative

Default Re: OPINION!! quick release?? or Airbag?? (slo_ej8)

your 16... keep the damned airbag!! i dont know what a quick release would do to save your life.. or how you would benefit from it at the time being.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:47 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jxhxb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">aight im just a 16 year old kid that is in love with nr g quick releases but my parents arent fond of me getting one because then i would lose the only airbag in my car.

but my question is

if i sit how i do in my seats sooo far back from the wheel, would the airbag even affect me? because i locked the seat belt where it would be and my face isnt near my steering wheel like i would hit my head on it.

but soon im getting racing seats and i was thinking if i had harnesses, would i really need airbags? because the harnesses would keep me strapped down to the seat.

what are your opinions

i have the money saved for the quick release and everything and want one SO bad
but its obviously not worth my life. but even at 16 honestly im a slow driver and dont street race and only go to the track. im not a crazy teen driver.
it would also add in security cuz i would get the hub lock.

let me know your opinions and if anything can convince my parents to be more comfortable with me having one.

thanks in advanced!

ps .. i know about ctr wheels and i dont want one because i hate how humongous my steering wheel is already and also want it to be smaller and less bulky
and the ctr is just as big as stock</TD></TR></TABLE>
Listen to your parents. They pay for most of your bills at this point anyway. They also have a better idea of what's good for you than you would have at this point, unfortunately.

You ARE a crazy teen driver. Driving fast isn't the only thing teenagers (and other new drivers for that matter) do that puts them at risk. You're just inexperienced. Experience will come with time.

IIRC, the CTR wheel is a little bit smaller than the stock US ones. Many quick releases still don't have short hubs, which means they put the wheel closer to your face.

If you get racing seats and harnesses, you're going to need a harness bar (takes stress off the back of the seat) and a roll bar or roll cage to protect you in the event of a roll over.

All in all, for your average daily driver driven by your average driver or even your average teenage driver, they're not the best mods in the world to have.

It's only a few more years until you're out of the home and able to do what you want to your car. So you'll be held back on your options for a few years. Big deal. More than likely you will end up crashing or otherwise getting rid of this car before that time anyway.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

crap. i understand. its just i want the freaken quick release so bad. oh well .

i guess its not worth it. ionno . thanks for your opinions so far.
more are definately welcome
Old 03-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jxhxb)

the qr and lock wont prevent sum1 from stealing your car. ive heard of a lot of guys out here in L.A. getting their cars stolen with the qr lock AND the autolock on. it sucks. i have the nrg qr and short hub with a personal steering wheel. the reason for going aftermarket was that i just liked the personal wheel a lot more than any oem wheel i looked at. its just personal preference. but since you are only 16 you should listen to your parents. you'll have plenty of time later on to do whatever you want to your car. besides, you're too young to die.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i like the look and the feel of a smaller steering wheel and everything but one more step to security is never a bad thing.

yeah i guess ill just haveto wait then.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its really just preference bro, if you like it get it. I like the NRG setup as well, but i rather keep my airbag. If anything look into a oem steering wheel swap.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:45 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (bmoua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its really just preference bro, if you like it get it. I like the NRG setup as well, but i rather keep my airbag. If anything look into a oem steering wheel swap. </TD></TR></TABLE>
No. No, it's not just about preference for him. He's 16, lives at home and mom and dad don't want him to have the quick release and aftermarket wheel since they want him to have an airbag.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:46 PM

go for it. my first car was a 79 malibu w/ no air bag and got hit on the dallas freeway @ like 50 mph and didnt even phase me
Old 03-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does anyone know of a small steering wheel that wont look out of place in my car with an airbag? i dont know what the s2000 steering wheels look like but i bet they might be smaller?

or is there a certain year that will work in my car form certain cars?
Old 03-24-2008, 08:50 PM

Default Re: (NOFX)

Dude, just swap out your steering wheel with your choice and hide/throw away/sell/etc. the old steering wheel with the airbag and then your parents can't do anything if you want the quick release that bad. Just think about the consequences though (parents will biatch about it for a while, insurance may go up if they find out, crashes, or depending on how strict your parents are: spank you and take your car.)

I know how you feel though, I want a Quick Release V2.5, short hub, hub lock, and NRG steering wheel but the wifey won't let me because will the above mentioned feed me, clothe me, and shelter me (all that is well over $350 I think) but I might just get it and tell her that there are no refunds.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
No. No, it's not just about preference for him. He's 16, lives at home and mom and dad don't want him to have the quick release and aftermarket wheel since they want him to have an airbag.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i get where your coming from NOFX, i just think its all opinion. I mean come on, when was the last time you remember listening to your parents? I know safety comes first, if he doesn't realize that then its up to him.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:36 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (mypreludeissexy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mypreludeissexy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude, just swap out your steering wheel with your choice and hide/throw away/sell/etc. the old steering wheel with the airbag and then your parents can't do anything if you want the quick release that bad. Just think about the consequences though (parents will biatch about it for a while, insurance may go up if they find out, crashes, or depending on how strict your parents are: spank you and take your car.)

I know how you feel though, I want a Quick Release V2.5, short hub, hub lock, and NRG steering wheel but the wifey won't let me because will the above mentioned feed me, clothe me, and shelter me (all that is well over $350 I think) but I might just get it and tell her that there are no refunds. </TD></TR></TABLE>
If my kid did that, I'd make him buy another airbag and then I'd take the car away from him. Then there would be more punishment in order. He'd be restricted to home, school and job.

If I expressly tell my child not to do something and they still go and do it, much less when I have made my concerns (about safety) clear, there will be punishment.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i get where your coming from NOFX, i just think its all opinion. I mean come on, when was the last time you remember listening to your parents? I know safety comes first, if he doesn't realize that then its up to him. </TD></TR></TABLE>
When I was 16, I listened. I'm 25 now. It's not really up to my parents if I want to do something to my car.

He's not an adult. He is a child. There is a good chance that car doesn't even belong to him, isn't in his name, was cosigned for (and therefore has a parent on the title) or the car was purchased for him. Now, this might not be true and at that age if any of it is, I don't think it's shameful.

He lives under his parents' roof. They pay for his food. They pay for nearly or all of his bills.

They DO have a say in this. They DO know best at this point in time.

Having a quick release will only give him a little thrill of having a new mod, having somethign to show off, etc. The only real benefit besides that might be that some kiddy thieves might pass the car up if it has no steering wheel. It's still very possible to steal the car though and there are other anti-theft measures that will protect it equally, if not better, than the quick release will and won't put him or anyone else at risk while driving the car.

It's a matter of opinion. If his opinion is to give reason for his parents not to trust him and to punish him, then go ahead and do it. If he doesn't do it and listens to them, that's one more time that he has shown his parents that they can trust him. So then in the event he might have to hide something from them, they would be less likely to pry.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:44 PM
memoryFAB.com representative

im backing up NOFX on this.. he is a new driver and no offense but sounds like a spoiled brat "i want a quick release soooo bad" c-mon.. and why? so he can put his steering wheel on his rear view mirror for a photo shoot?! i mean i understand the want for a smaller wheel, but there are smaller OEM wheels that would in my opinion would make things a lot safer and maybe give your parents a piece of mind.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You've heard the opinions from both sides. Which sounds more reasonable? Exactly.

Keep the airbag, you're steering wheel's fine. I was in the same situation, and decided against it, as it doesn't make the car any faster, just more perilous. Did you know our little econo Hondas are spot welded together? Well they are, and not in too many places. Why make your car more dangerous than it already is, just because you like carrying your steering wheel around with you?

Now, if you had a car that didn't come with an airbag, then I'd be all for it, but since you've got it, you ought to stick with it. You want an NRG quick release? Then you should look into building a separate track car when you're old enough or have money to burn. Don't listen to people suggesting you go behind your parents' backs to make a decision that is directly against their will, because that is retarded advice. Plenty more to live for at 16, and it's not worth a "sweet quick release steering wheel" to sacrifice.

Modified by BlackoutVTi at 10:51 PM 3/24/2008
Old 03-24-2008, 09:53 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (spock_rocker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spock_rocker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im backing up NOFX on this.. he is a new driver and no offense but sounds like a spoiled brat "i want a quick release soooo bad" c-mon.. and why? so he can put his steering wheel on his rear view mirror for a photo shoot?! i mean i understand the want for a smaller wheel, but there are smaller OEM wheels that would in my opinion would make things a lot safer and maybe give your parents a piece of mind. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks for seeing eye to eye with me.

He doesn't sound spoiled to me. I mean, sure, he wants it, but he seemed pretty reasonable when some of us explained why we wouldn't do it.

It sounds like he still wants it, and perhaps he'll get it when he's older, but he sounds like unless he gets a really good argument together that would change his parents' minds, he's going to keep the stock wheel.

If the OP really has a problem with the stock wheel size, I'd look into other stock wheels that come with airbags. Discuss your idea with your parents once you find a steering wheel. Back your decision up with posts that show how to make the wheel work in your car. That it fits on the column, that it plugs in correctly, etc.

This will make them trust you and make them more likely to give you more allowances in the future. If you follow the rules, they won't feel like they need to be as strict later on.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spock_rocker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spock_rocker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im backing up NOFX on this.. he is a new driver and no offense but sounds like a spoiled brat "i want a quick release soooo bad" c-mon.. and why? so he can put his steering wheel on his rear view mirror for a photo shoot?! i mean i understand the want for a smaller wheel, but there are smaller OEM wheels that would in my opinion would make things a lot safer and maybe give your parents a piece of mind. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ight i agree with nofx cuz his reasoning does sound right. but i just think your an *******.

dont call me a spoiled brat if you dont know who the hell i am.
i put so much of my own money into my car.i just worked 6 days in a row and my shitty paying job. And i have school. 6 bucks an hour. i guarantee half of you guys on here make as much as i do in one day in an hour. but i didnt complain about that to you until you think you know who i am callen me a "Spoiled brat"

its just a mod i always thought was cool and always wanted and thought that maybe it would still be safe if i got seats with harnesses but didnt have an airbag, but i was quickly convinced that isnt the case.

thanks for the replies everyone else
im obviously not getting one.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and thanks especially nofx. cuz i completely get where you coming from with my parents trusting me and if i just went out and did it not only would they probably take my car away, but then i wouldn't be trusted for other things later on.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jxhxb)

Glad to see you made the right decision. Maybe you'll be able to put one on your track car in the future.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:36 AM

Default Re: (BlackoutVTi)

Go and set the airbag off and then they can't say anything. You don't have to wreck to set it off either. But yeah, you should listen to your parents. It is just what I would do but then again, I'm almost 20.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OPINION!! quick release?? or Airbag?? (killmeamerika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by killmeamerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">go for it. my first car was a 79 malibu w/ no air bag and got hit on the dallas freeway @ like 50 mph and didnt even phase me </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah you know because a malibu and civic share SUCH similiar chassis integrity
Old 03-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

quick release :D
Old 03-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What kind of car is this for? "EK"s can do both an S2k wheel and the CTR Momo. Not sure what an "EG" can bolt on that has an airbag. I'm all for keeping the bag. Some states have the airbag as an inspectable item I believe.

this is a S2k wheel btw

Maybe an EP3 or DC5 wheel?

Here is another thread touching on this subject: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1862182

Modified by D50boy at 3:46 PM 3/25/2008

Quick Reply: OPINION!! quick release?? or Airbag??