Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OMG! will the problems end New fuel pump installed and Raw Fuel smell

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG! will the problems end New fuel pump installed and Raw Fuel smell

Last night I installed a new Walbro fuel pump I had just bought from a friend. Everything went nice and smooth. BUt now after driving the car it smells like raw fuel. I popped the hood checked everything with the car running no leaks anywhere at all. Checked the fuel pump again no leaks there either. Why the hell am I smelling fuel. I have double and tripple checked everything.

92 Honda Civic Si w/B18C-R changed from stock fuel pump to Walbro.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OMG! will the problems end New fuel pump installed and Raw Fuel smell (awdwagon)

bump for ideas
Old 05-15-2004, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OMG! will the problems end New fuel pump installed and Raw Fuel smell (awdwagon)

do you have any kind of fuel managment? cause now your are sending a whole lot more fuel into the lines and have no way of controling it.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OMG! will the problems end New fuel pump installed and Raw Fuel smell (sohcvtec1995)

I have Hondata.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FPR?

did you install it right? maybe its leaking back there.

where is the smell comming from?
Old 05-15-2004, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OMG! will the problems end New fuel pump installed and Raw Fuel smell (JUN EK9)

I am using the stock FPR. Its not leaking at the pump. The smell is coming from the engine bay. I just finished following all the lines looking for leaks and still nothing but the smell is very strong. I am clueless.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe you spilled some fuel when you were installing it and it left a smell.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OMG! will the problems end New fuel pump installed and Raw Fuel smell (sean)

The smell is not in the cabin its outside in the engine bay. When I start the car and rev it up I can smell it but I don't see any leaks. That would be the best time to find a leak because its not evaporated yet. The cabins fine I have done fuel pumps before but this is just strange.

Unfortunately because my A/C doesnt work I have to smell this and its giving me a fricken headache.

Bump for more help
Old 05-15-2004, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont know but maybe you have to have the hondata tuned to accomadate the extra amount of fuel.
Old 05-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OMG! will the problems end New fuel pump installed and Raw Fuel smell (sohcvtec1995)

Thanks for the reply. Bump for more help
Old 05-15-2004, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you get it tuned before or after the install? Because if it was tuned before then it was tuned to the stock fuel pump. Now that you upgraded you need to tune to the new one. (i think)
Old 05-15-2004, 04:31 PM

Default Re: OMG! will the problems end New fuel pump installed and Raw Fuel smell (Luserkid)

no sign of a leak anywhere??? the install was only a day agfo right? you shouldnt really start worrying till after a few days if the smell doent go away.. its probably just som fuel that leaked during the install an hasnt fully burned away yet.. but yeah you need to upgrade .. you running bigger injectors or fuel rail?? upgrade the FPR... whats your set up exactly?? why did you upgrade the fuel pump?? no sense pumpong more fuel into a stock motor
Old 05-15-2004, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OMG! will the problems end New fuel pump installed and Raw Fuel smell (ekb18cCivic)

ok its a 92 Civic Si with a JDM B18C-R engine with Hondata and an exhaust no other mods.

I bought this fuel PUMP from a friend because he had no need for it. I figured it would be better than the stock one in the car. Plus it was a brand new Walbro/BBK for $40.

I was having problems with the car starting didnt hear the fuel pump though hell it cant hurt to put this in now maybe the pump has an intermittant problem. It wasnt the pump turned out to be the Main Relay.

The install was easy and CLEAN as I have done them before. The inside cabin has NO fuel smell from the pump install.

The smell is coming from under the hood but there are NO VISIBLE LEAKS!

Once the car is running again the smell is evident when its not running you smell nothing.

I am running STOCK injectors, filter, fuel rail, and FPR. There are NO other fuel mods other than this PUMP.

The car does run better with this pump in it as it feels faster.
Old 05-15-2004, 04:53 PM

your probably just forcing more fuel into your motor now... and the excess fuel while the car is running is creating that smell... do you notcie a build up of black **** on your back bumper??
Old 05-15-2004, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OMG! will the problems end New fuel pump installed and Raw Fuel smell (ekb18cCivic)

not yet
Old 05-15-2004, 05:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by awdwagon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not yet</TD></TR></TABLE> lol well give it a few days .. your probably just forcing to much motor into your engine..
Old 05-15-2004, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekb18cCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> lol well give it a few days .. your probably just forcing to much motor into your engine.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

How is he forcing too much fuel into the engine? He has the stock FPR.. anything over the pressure its set to will return to the tank...

Did you touch anything in the engine bay at all??
Old 05-15-2004, 05:37 PM

Default Re: OMG! will the problems end New fuel pump installed and Raw Fuel smell (hadehatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hadehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How is he forcing too much fuel into the engine? He has the stock FPR.. anything over the pressure its set to will return to the tank...

Did you touch anything in the engine bay at all??</TD></TR></TABLE> he said he was running hondata.. so odds are his FPR is allowing more fuel then normal.. his stock FPR isnt capable of returning the exta fuel to the tank.. he needs to upgrade it

Modified by ekb18cCivic at 4:16 PM 5/16/2004
Old 05-15-2004, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by awdwagon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am using the stock FPR.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is your problem. The stock FPR can't return the excess volume of fuel supplied by the Walbro, so fuel pressure goes up.

Do you have fuel pressure gauge?
Old 05-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OMG! will the problems end New fuel pump installed and Raw Fuel smell (EE_Chris)

I figured the stock FPR would be sufficient. No I do not have a fuel pressure gauge.

Why the smell of raw fuel though?
Old 05-15-2004, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i believe you getting the smell because you have all this extra fuel going to the motor but it knows it cant handle it so the fpr cant take all the extra and send it back to the tank so the motor is just being bombarded with fuel that why ur getting the over abundence of gas smell
Old 05-16-2004, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OMG! will the problems end New fuel pump installed and Raw Fuel smell (Donkey85)

isnt there something that is supposed to recirculate the fuel vapors. Could that be bad?

Bump for more help and info
Old 05-16-2004, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BUMP
Old 05-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OMG! will the problems end New fuel pump installed and Raw Fuel smell (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is your problem. The stock FPR can't return the excess volume of fuel supplied by the Walbro, so fuel pressure goes up.

Do you have fuel pressure gauge?</TD></TR></TABLE>

not true. i have a 255lph walbro and stock fpr. my fuel pressure is within stock specs, 39 psi at idle, 42 with the hose off an pinched
Old 05-16-2004, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OMG! will the problems end New fuel pump installed and Raw Fuel smell (dantastic)

so why the smell? anyone with ideas. Its really strong and giving me a headache now.

Quick Reply: OMG! will the problems end New fuel pump installed and Raw Fuel smell