Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ok im your lab rat.... Seafoamed my turbo GSR.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isnt seafoam a company? Whats the specific product name?
Also after you use it you change the oil but you can leave it in ur gas tank and brake booster?
Thanks
Old 07-24-2005, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (TurboEM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Isnt seafoam a company? Whats the specific product name?
Also after you use it you change the oil but you can leave it in ur gas tank and brake booster?
Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>
You aren't pouring it into the brake booster, but rather the vacuum line to the manifold that the brake booster connects to. This is to clean out the manifold and ports (and combustion chamber in turn).

And in the fuel tank, eventually it will all be used as you use all the fuel up, it's in there to clean out injectors.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:31 AM

Default Re: (TurboEM1)

is BG 44k similar to this product? i went to my local honda dealership, and they recommended BG 44k to me. you can only get it through select dealers. has anyone tried it before? just wondering if you get the same results, or if they are supposed to work in the same way.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Redline96LX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redline96LX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I understand the "worry" of seafoam getting into the oil line for the turbo. but think about it. the **** you run through the motor, out the exhaust side of the turbo doesnt get in the oil. if the turbo wasnt sealed (the oil from the blades) then oil would get into the intake and exhaust. So, i guess running it through the motor might get a little into the turbo, but i guess if you dont rev the turbo that high, you ought to be okay, id say open the wastegate manually if you could. so it seems adding seafoam to the intake side of the turbo would be ok. ANy thoughts? then, anyone wanna try it to confirm and we can put this **** in our book of facts, on the DIY ****?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I could do that next seafoam/oil change. Just put some air to the wastegate and open it goes. Or put a little in my intake arm and send it through the intake system like that but i think Deep Creep would be better because thats what its made for. Ill let you guys know how that goes, should be this week.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (string)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by string &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You aren't pouring it into the brake booster, but rather the vacuum line to the manifold that the brake booster connects to. This is to clean out the manifold and ports (and combustion chamber in turn).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok thanks. Thats what I was confused about. Is it possible to do any damage or anything? Im looking into this for a 1991 CRX Si.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tweakedrice79)

seafoam is the ****. worked on four of my cars. mr2, civic, s13, and s14. i ran the seafoam in my mr2s crank case for about 500 miles. from LA to SD and SD back to LA plus some. THIS STUFF WORKS! by the way, i poured 1/2 into the IM and 1/2 into the oil and one can into my tank no problem.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:45 PM

Location: We Cant Stop Here This Is Bat Country, So CaL, USDM
Default Re: (shyboi)

I dunno about putting it in the crankcase....it seems like even after you drained the oil there would still be some seafoam in the engine thinning out the new oil. But I'm all for it in the gas tank and IM....gonna do it to my 105K y7 next week and post it up.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:01 AM

ehh dude just cause seafoam didnt kill your turbo doesnt mean it wont kill someone elses

if u have an engine with huge carbon buildup im sure ull clog that turbo right up
Old 07-25-2005, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Morning Call)

I've foamed my boosted y7 more than once and had 0 issues with it.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:07 AM

Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

man i am lost about this seafoam stuff....what is seafoam?? and man i have no clue of what to do even after reading this post..eek! i wanna try it but i dont want to goof up...I have a EJ8 (98 ex) so can anyone help me here? my car STINKS like crap when i gas it or when its diling..ewww..anyway help??
Old 07-25-2005, 09:26 AM

Default Re: (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">**** we should have thought about that, taking a pic with the valve cover off and then do the seafoam and see how it looks after. Maybe the next person that does it could do that </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll do it when I go to install my turbo. Since the oil has to be drained to tap the pan anyway.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ok im your lab rat.... Seafoamed my turbo GSR....... (Luserkid)

**** I think I am going to do it to mine soon.
Good job!!!!!! Dont worry I think we are all ***** when it comes to hurting our cars......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave
Old 07-25-2005, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Ok im your lab rat.... Seafoamed my turbo GSR....... (93SiVtec677)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93SiVtec677 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">**** I think I am going to do it to mine soon.
Good job!!!!!! Dont worry I think we are all ***** when it comes to hurting our cars......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave </TD></TR></TABLE>

That we are. Unless you are running a stock D16 and have a 2nd in your garage. Makes me feel a litle ballsy and like a baller
Old 07-25-2005, 10:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Ok im your lab rat.... Seafoamed my turbo GSR....... (nota-eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Morning Call &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ehh dude just cause seafoam didnt kill your turbo doesnt mean it wont kill someone elses

if u have an engine with huge carbon buildup im sure ull clog that turbo right up</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, we've done this to his car so many times and it still runs perfect. We've done it to numerous other turbo cars we work on and they are all still fine, and one had the worst carbon build up on it I had ever seen. (the head was pulled cause it was a mini-me) I've done it to my car and it runs great. It has over 142,000 miles on it too. The first time I did it was at 139,000 ish.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by *****est_raver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man i am lost about this seafoam stuff....what is seafoam?? and man i have no clue of what to do even after reading this post..eek! i wanna try it but i don't want to goof up...I have a EJ8 (98 ex) so can anyone help me here? my car STINKS like crap when i gas it or when its diling..ewww..anyway help?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Buy a can of seafoam from auto-zone or Napa auto parts. Remove the vacuum line from your break booster (only the half after the check valve to the intake manifold) let the car suck in about a third of the can (do this very slowly and DO NOT let your car die). Pour another third into the crank case and let the car sit for about 15-20 minutes. Next take it out for a "spirited drive" and then bring it home and do an oil change.(this part is IMPERATIVE!) Now if you have a full tank of gas, pour the remaining third into the gas tank, and you're done.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Ok im your lab rat.... Seafoamed my turbo GSR....... (SOHC4life 96)

I was also thinking about pouring an ounce or two directly into the spark plug holes and letting it clean the pistons overnight without running it. Not enough to hydrolock it, just enough to clean. I plan on pulling my 02 sensor before I start it up to keep the sensor clean. I might even disconnect the exhaust system right after the header so all the **** will blow out and not get caught in the exhaust.
what do ya think?
Old 07-25-2005, 10:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Ok im your lab rat.... Seafoamed my turbo GSR....... (2000psi)

Seafoam doesnt do anything unless it is cumbusted. So just pouring some into the combustion chambers while the car is off isnt gonna do ****. It will more than likely slowly creep down into the oil. Seafoam won't hurt you O2 sensor, and pulling your exhaust could possibly **** up your motor more than seafoaming it would. I say, do it the right way or don't do it at all.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Ok im your lab rat.... Seafoamed my turbo GSR....... (SOHC4life 96)

It only works when it's combusted??? Then why do people pour it into the crankcase??? open header isn't going to hurt anything but my neighboor's eardrums.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:58 PM

automatic tranny fluid will work too if you cant find the seaweed. Just make sure it says Dextron 3 on the bottle...
Old 07-25-2005, 09:05 PM

The DSM pour it their spark plug holes and let it sit overnight. Both with Seafoam and a product called Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner (MCCC). Apparently it works really well to clean out the rings and any deposits on the pistons.

CHANGE YOUR OIL AFTER AS ITS LUBRICATING PROPERTIES WILL BE GREATLY DIMINISHED.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Ok im your lab rat.... Seafoamed my turbo GSR....... (jdurston)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdurston &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The DSM pour it their spark plug holes and let it sit overnight. Both with Seafoam and a product called Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner (MCCC). Apparently it works really well to clean out the rings and any deposits on the pistons.

CHANGE YOUR OIL AFTER AS ITS LUBRICATING PROPERTIES WILL BE GREATLY DIMINISHED. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats the only part I'm worried about is some of the seafoam staying in the crankcase even after you change the oil and thinning out the new oil.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2000psi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats the only part I'm worried about is some of the seafoam staying in the crankcase even after you change the oil and thinning out the new oil.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'd agree with this guy, dont u have a massive amount (1/2 quart or so??) of oil left in your oil filter? i suppose the greatly diminished amount wouldent be as effective but on a turbo'd or high milage motor??
Old 07-25-2005, 09:37 PM

Default Re: Ok im your lab rat.... Seafoamed my turbo GSR....... (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

well i would change the filter too of course...i guess I'm just paranoid about this ****
Old 08-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i seafoam'd my engine...and really didn't notice anything...but it was smokey as hell..so i'd assume it was doing something.....i read up on seafoaming before i did it....and i had no problem with seafoam...but if you think carbon desposits are whats holding your 200k engine alive or just beat up engine i wouldn't reccomend seafoaming...i saw compression tests and some have lost compession but have also equal'd all the cylinders out....its sometimes a win or lose situations...but to add to this thread i would seafoam again....after seeing all that carbon fly out the exhaust i know it had to of done something..kill it or help it..
Old 08-03-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Ok im your lab rat.... Seafoamed my turbo GSR....... (b16delteg)

damn... i didn't know people were scared to seafoam their boosted motors.
i seafoamed my turbo'd Y8 over a year ago. I would have informed you guys that it was safe..haha
Old 08-03-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Ok im your lab rat.... Seafoamed my turbo GSR....... (DruWO)

Yea, seafoam is good stuff but technically what you are doing when you are putting it in through a vacuum line is just steam cleaning the engine. You can do that much of it with just plain water. Works great, and is safe as long as you do it in moderation.

Quick Reply: Ok im your lab rat.... Seafoamed my turbo GSR.......