Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OK, Got the head off, not sure if block/pistons are ok. Pictures.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, Got the head off, not sure if block/pistons are ok. Pictures.

I'm replacing a head gasket on a friends 95 Civic D15B7 motor. Finally got the head off and I have only done this on one other car and it didn't look nearly this bad. Just wondering if this is fixable by me or if I need to have them take it to a shop.

A bunch of the head gasket material seems to have melted onto the top of the block and the bottom of the head. Can i just scrape this off of the block and it be OK? I know the head will need to be resurfaced.

Also, how do these pistons look? THere is some build up on the top of them all, but doesn't look too bad. No holes from what I can see.

This thing had about a million oil leaks and was overheating all the time. Oil was everywhere when I took it apart, in the intake manifold, spark plug holes, everywhere. Also, is there a way to drain the coolant out of the block, maybe just a drain plug somewhere on the bottom?

Thanks.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Re: OK, Got the head off, not sure if block/pistons are ok. Pictures. (cobaltss)

yes,scrape the old head gasket material off the deck of the block and it will be fine,how many miles is on that motor,it looks from the picure,piston to cylinder wall clearance is way out,rings look burned up,I wouldnt bother shaving the head either,it will be fine,bc if your gettin oil in the manifolds valve seals are probably worn too.i mean your talking $50 to get the head shaved,$20 for a head gasket,and if it needs to be rebuilt you probably better off gettin another engine for $100 or so,these things come a dime a dozen.it most likely runs but is obviously burning oil,those cylinder walls look worn.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Banned

Everything looks ok to me? Looks like the motor has a lot of carbon build up. But yes the headgasket you can just scrape off to remove it. As for the coolant, im guess you can remove the radiator hoses and let the coolant drain out.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Re: (yoffer)

oh the coolant drain is a 19mm on the back of block near the oil filter,most of the time its hard to get loose bc of corrosion,id just drain the radiator,oh and look at all the carbon in the top of the head shows the valve seals are worn
Old 12-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if they are made, but try finding a metal HG instead. The composite ones are a mess to replace as you can see!
Old 12-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: OK, Got the head off, not sure if block/pistons are ok. Pictures. (cobaltss)

You got some toasty white valves there. You should be able to locate a 3-ply metal HG, I know they make them.

When my JDM B16A got delivered to me the head had scorched back oil on it too. I though it would burn oil badly or not run at all. Six years later, it still runs strong and does not consume abnormal amounts of oil. Lucky.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

unless this motor is different, every honda i've had has a drain plug on the front of the block.

i went through the same thing with my ef, you gotta scrape the gasket off, its A LOT of fun. really it is.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: (instrument)

FYI the drain plug everyone is refering to is only for when the head is still on the block... it allows air in to the cylinder wall cooling jacket so that ALL the coolant will flow out when the head is sealed... since the head is already off you just need to remove the lower radiator hose or just open the petcock as long as you're willing to wait it out... lol.

In regards to the head/cyliners... My car had 215k when I did mine and it looked 10,000 times better than that. I'd either just slap it back together w/o resurfacing the head and live with what you got... or spend 0-200 bucks and get a z6 or another replacement motor.

Also FYI that's not really carbon deposits... that's straight up burnt oil on the pistons... and as mentioned before the valves are burnt (not terribly) which indicates the car has a detonation problem as well...

It will bolt back together and run fine for a long time I'm sure... but it's not a good engine by any stretch.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (NonovUrbizniz)

i am sure the coolant drain is on the front of the block.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:59 AM

Looks like you got some burnt oil caked on top of the pistons there .
You've already mentioned how this engine has alot of oil leaks, and we can tell by how dirty the block looks. Just save yourself the hassle and buy a new motor, these engines are very cheap anyways.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: (fmrprojects)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am sure the coolant drain is on the front of the block. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, Yes you are... it is 19mm behind the exhaust manifold. Also nearly impossible to remove given the heat cycles it goes through... I had to take off the exhaust manifold to get mine off... even then it was a beotch.

OP: Heads off you don't need the drain bolt removed
Old 12-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're a good friend for helping a buddy out with that.