Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Which oil to use?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which oil to use??????????????????

Sorry, got tired of going through all the threads. i need to know once and for all, what kind of oil should i be using? D15B vtec with 80,000 miles. any recomendations for oil filter would be great also.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:24 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Which oil to use?????????????????? (THC1107)

5w30 mobil drive clean w/ a genuine honda oil filter. I myself use Fram filters because I like the grippy **** on the back, makes it easier to take off.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which oil to use?????????????????? (BauleyCivic)

its all a matter of preference... my friend made me try Motul and I loved it and I will never try any other except maybe Mobil1 and Royal Purple. I use the Motul 5w40 because I tend to drive pretty hard almost all the time.

Dave
Old 02-13-2006, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry if this a repost, but ive also been searching throuh ALL the threads and weird results come up. i just bought b16a swapped integra, it has about 80k miles, i need to know wat grade of oil it uses, i repeat What GRADE not what brand so i dont get flamed, also looking for where i woud find all maitenance info on a b16? thank you
srry for thread jacking
Old 02-13-2006, 05:56 PM

look on your oil cap (unless your car came with one of those super sweet brushed aluminum JDM oil filler cap that add 15 hp over 13k rps) My guess is it will say 5w30. I run 5w30 for the winter (thinner oil wont get as sludgy when its cold) and 10w30 in the warmer months.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:12 PM

damn why didnt i think a bout that
Old 02-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'd go with a quality 5w30 synthetic oil. depending on your wallet or how much you are willing to spend will then decide on the brand. mobile1 is good as others have already stated. i use royal purple and a k&n oil filter. or an OEM honda filter.

i'd stay away from fram. IMO is a poorly made filter compared to what is available. and i'm not just saying that b/c its what i think, but b/c i did a project regarding oil filters for my engine performance class at school. wix is a really good filter, and AC Delco is even a quality filter. frams actual filter is so small and spread out compared to others, meaning less filtering capabilities. Chevy, Ford, and Honda OEM filters are all made better then a fram is.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:20 PM

i was a bout to say i actually live next to small auto store that stocks royal purple so i dont have to order it online, u get those honda oill filter at dealerships right?
Old 02-13-2006, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which oil to use?????????????????? (94hatchling)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94hatchling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'd go with a quality 5w30 synthetic oil. depending on your wallet or how much you are willing to spend will then decide on the brand. mobile1 is good as others have already stated. i use royal purple and a k&n oil filter. or an OEM honda filter.

i'd stay away from fram. IMO is a poorly made filter compared to what is available. and i'm not just saying that b/c its what i think, but b/c i did a project regarding oil filters for my engine performance class at school. wix is a really good filter, and AC Delco is even a quality filter. frams actual filter is so small and spread out compared to others, meaning less filtering capabilities. Chevy, Ford, and Honda OEM filters are all made better then a fram is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for input, think im gonna use mobile1 and k&n oil filter.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:23 PM

I think I understand the 5w and/or the 10w in the type of oil. but what does the 30 or 40 or even 50 ive seen stand for?
Old 02-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which oil to use?????????????????? (Jack8788)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jack8788 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think I understand the 5w and/or the 10w in the type of oil. but what does the 30 or 40 or even 50 ive seen stand for?</TD></TR></TABLE>
well.... for example.... 5w40.

5w is the viscosity for winter. w stands for winter. and 40 is a thicker viscosity. so the higher the number, the thicker the oil is.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by seal3k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u get those honda oill filter at dealerships right?</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes you do. or you can order them online. whichever you prefer.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:25 PM

Default Re: (SicilianSpeed42)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SicilianSpeed42 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">look on your oil cap (unless your car came with one of those super sweet brushed aluminum JDM oil filler cap that add 15 hp over 13k rps) My guess is it will say 5w30. I run 5w30 for the winter (thinner oil wont get as sludgy when its cold) and 10w30 in the warmer months.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you live in a place like California where cold is 50 degrees then I'd just get 10w30 for all seasons. I haven't really given much notice to the different brands of filters but since 94hatchling actually did research I'd follow what he says.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94hatchling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
well.... for example.... 5w40.

5w is the viscosity for winter. w stands for winter. and 40 is a thicker viscosity. so the higher the number, the thicker the oil is.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

uhh the W stands for weight, not winter. The higher the number the thicker the oil.

I never caught on to the 2nd number but i know the higher it goes the thinner the oil. Example, 5w50 (race oil) is very thin and made to be changed after a track day if not a track run.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which oil to use?????????????????? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uhh the W stands for weight, not winter. The higher the number the thicker the oil.

I never caught on to the 2nd number but i know the higher it goes the thinner the oil. Example, 5w50 (race oil) is very thin and made to be changed after a track day if not a track run. </TD></TR></TABLE>

no. w stands for winter, not weight. common mistake, but does not stand for weight. and the higher the number, the thicker the oil, not the thinner.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats odd, you both sound right. it is weight 10-30 weight. And the higher the # the thicker the oil. think its like 10 parts of somthing and 30 part another.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

W stands for wait and not winter. Also you should choose a grand that suits your driving still. If you tend to drive hard you should think of getting a thicker oil. Also race oil is not thinner oil. For new Honda's they are using a much thinner oil 5w20. Race oil is of a 5o weight so it thick.

The reason race cars use a thicker oil is because it won't breakdown as easily.

Dave
Old 02-14-2006, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which oil to use?????????????????? (93SiVtec677)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93SiVtec677 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">W stands for wait and not winter. Also you should choose a grand that suits your driving still. If you tend to drive hard you should think of getting a thicker oil. Also race oil is not thinner oil. For new Honda's they are using a much thinner oil 5w20. Race oil is of a 5o weight so it thick.

The reason race cars use a thicker oil is because it won't breakdown as easily.

Dave</TD></TR></TABLE>

going to a thicker oil just because you tend to drive harder wont do much of anything, besides causing you motor to wear down faster. specifically, the bearings. the clearances are so small, that going to a thicker oil will limit the amount of oil that will squeeze through that small passage. there is a reason why honda or whatever manufacturer recommends a certain oil. you could get away with a thicker oil in something pre-fuel injected, or something built for such an application. but there is no need for it in a stock or mostly stock honda with such small bearing clearances.

and for the last time, the w in 5w30 does NOT stand for weight, it stands for winter. this is my educated knowledge, not hear-say or my opinion. it is fact. ask any educated automotive technician and they will tell you the same.

as to the OP, just use the stock recommended oil type. a quality brand name synthetic will work wonderfully. no need for a thicker weight oil.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:14 AM

http://www.performanceoiltechn...1.htm

*SAE Grade
The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Viscosity Grade is a system based on viscosity measures taken from a variety of tests. It developed 11 distinct motor oil viscosity classifications or grades: SAE 0W, SAE 5W, SAE 10W, SAE 15W, SAE 20W, SAE 25W, SAE 20, SAE 30, SAE 40, SAE 50 and SAE 60. These are single grade or single viscosity oils.

These grades designate the specific ranges that the particular oil falls into. The "W" indicates the grade is suitable for use in cold temperatures. (Think of the "W" as meaning "Winter".) The classifications increase numerically, readily indicating the difference between them and what the difference means. Simply put, the lower the number, the lower the temperature at which the oil can be used for safe and effective protection. The higher numbers reflect better protection for high heat and high load situations.

SAE 20 and SAE 20W are two separate classifications.

Single grade oils have a limited range of protection and, therefore, a limited number of uses.

With today's well-refined, high viscosity index oils, however, an SAE 20 oil usually will meet the viscosity requirements of SAE 20W and vice versa. Those that do are classified SAE 20W-20.

This multi-grade or multi-viscosity ability increases an oil's usefulness, because it meets the requirements of two or more classifications.

Examples of multi-viscosity oils are SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30, SAE 15W-40 and SAE 20W-50. The number with the "W" designates the oil's properties at low temperatures. The other number characterizes properties at high temperatures. For instance, a multi-viscosity or multi-grade oil such as 10W-30 meets the 10W criteria when cold and the 30 criteria once hot. SAE 10W-30 and SAE 5W-30 are widely used because under all but extremely hot or cold conditions, they are light enough for easy engine cranking at low temperatures and heavy enough to protect at high temperatures.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, im sorry, i fell like a noob now. it dose sand for winter, my tech agreed with you. haha sorry. so why do they say "10-30 weight" at the store?
Old 02-14-2006, 05:40 PM

no dude dont feel bad most people dont know

hell i didnt niether

its cool bro i was just gining some info i found
Old 02-14-2006, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THC1107 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow, im sorry, i fell like a noob now. it dose sand for winter, my tech agreed with you. haha sorry. so why do they say "10-30 weight" at the store?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no problem. i used to think the same thing. common misconception. and it is said 10-30 weight because thats exactly what it is. its 10w, meaning its winter weight, or viscosity when it is cold out, and 30 meaning its weight when its completely hot.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:48 PM

i like to use royal purple 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer with a K&N oil filter, this setup i thinbk works the best i have been using it ever since i had the engine in my car rebuilt and i t runs better than new still after 2 years and 30 thousand mile or so.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which oil to use?????????????????? (hondarsr98)

supertech bro...
Old 02-14-2006, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Which oil to use?????????????????? (hondarsr98)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondarsr98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i like to use royal purple 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer with a K&N oil filter, this setup i thinbk works the best i have been using it ever since i had the engine in my car rebuilt and i t runs better than new still after 2 years and 30 thousand mile or so.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what d you drive? or should i ask what motor do you have?
Old 02-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which oil to use?????????????????? (seal3k)

fram PH3593A....and mobile one synthetic blend 5w30
oil only cost like 1.97 at wall-mart in GA.

Quick Reply: Which oil to use?