Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil pressure light!!! PLEAS HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure light!!! PLEAS HELP!!!

My oil light is coming on recently. It will barely light up... then go out. Other times, it will flash on/off. Other times it will flash dim/bright.

I swapped in a new pressure sending unit and it didn't do the trick.
I swapped in a new oil pump [had a spare pump and some spare time].

It is still doing it. I don't believe I spun a bearing b/c there was nothing in the oil, and there is no noise coming from the motor! It's quiet and runs smooth as hell!

I checked for a faulty wire between the pressure sending unit and the ecu and didn't find anything wrong.

Pleas help... does anyone know what this could be?
Old 07-25-2005, 01:01 AM
grammer nawzi

Default Re: Oil pressure light!!! PLEAS HELP!!! (nub.96ek)

Have you tried adding oil?
Old 07-25-2005, 04:00 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: Oil pressure light!!! PLEAS HELP!!! (sicky)

It's going to come right on as you start the car for a couple seconds. Now, if it's dim.. I'm guessing it may be the bulb, try replacing the bulb.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:22 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Sounds like what happened to my D16Z6.

2 things I would try, even if you changed the oil pump...

1. Check the codes, you might get a 43.

2. See does the car feel sluggish over the whole rpm range.

And lastly drive like a grandma, or you will catch on fire.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:34 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: Oil pressure light!!! PLEAS HELP!!! (diegoaccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by diegoaccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like what happened to my D16Z6.

2 things I would try, even if you changed the oil pump...

1. Check the codes, you might get a 43.

2. See does the car feel sluggish over the whole rpm range.

And lastly drive like a grandma, or you will catch on fire.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He said he car ran fine, so I think we can throw out the majority of your comments. If your oil light comes on for a couple of seconds when you start your car, you're fine it's going to do that.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:41 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Oil pressure light!!! PLEAS HELP!!! (JDM-EJ1)

"Drives fine" could mean...."I can drive it."

When my **** was sluggish, I only noticed it because I still revved the **** out of it, and saw that..hey I'm not moving. Then I was able to feel it all around, instead of only the lack of VTEC.

Had I not beat on it, I would have assumed mine "drove fine" too. It never sounded any different, or any of that ****.

Old 07-25-2005, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil pressure light!!! PLEAS HELP!!! (diegoaccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sicky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you tried adding oil?</TD></TR></TABLE>
It is full of oil... the first time the light came on I checked the level and all was good. I only wish the problem was that I was so lazy or absent minded that it would be something so easy.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's going to come right on as you start the car for a couple seconds. Now, if it's dim.. I'm guessing it may be the bulb, try replacing the bulb.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I know it comes on right when the car starts... it does this and will stay off for a minute or two then starts slowly coming on... dim at first then brighter [still solid], then it will start to flash.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

He said he car ran fine, so I think we can throw out the majority of your comments. If your oil light comes on for a couple of seconds when you start your car, you're fine it's going to do that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is not the problem... it is coming on after running for a few moments and then does all the funky flashing mess...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by diegoaccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"Drives fine" could mean...."I can drive it."

When my **** was sluggish, I only noticed it because I still revved the **** out of it, and saw that..hey I'm not moving. Then I was able to feel it all around, instead of only the lack of VTEC.

Had I not beat on it, I would have assumed mine "drove fine" too. It never sounded any different, or any of that ****.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The car runs like normal... at all rpm! not sluggish at all. However... I'm not gonna rev the hell out of it b/c that light makes me scared as hell and I don't want to blow it.

Im gonna hook up an oil pressure guage today and see if for some reason I'm not finding a short somewhere in the wiring and I'll just run off the guage from here on out. Can anyone tell me If I should be hearing anything if a DO have a spun bearing? This is what's scaring the hell out of me... like the other guy said I don't want it to "catch on fire"!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure of the technical name for it, so you may have adressed this by the "pressure sending unit" but have you checked the little sensor that goes in the back of the block right by the Oil filter?

I broke that sensor one time and broke it just enough that it was acting all crazy like you've described. Another thing you may want to check is the oil pickup in the pan.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil pressure light!!! PLEAS HELP!!! (Ricey McRicerton)

Checked the pick up when I pulled it to change the pump... screen was clean and no sign of problems.
This is really beginning to **** me off... I don't want to rebuild it if I don't have to.
And to think the car was going up for sale in like 2 weeks!
Old 07-25-2005, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When you replaced the sensor did you check the wire? Sounds like it might be coming loose but that still doesnt explain why it would be blinking on or dimming on and off. Really all that would do is turn it off and not come on if it was disconnected.

Basic things to check which i know you did most already but start slow and move your way up.

Oil, always check if you have some.
Oil pick up, you said it was clean so thats good.
Next would be pressure so you have the oil pump, but you changed that.

Sounds like you did just about everything you could do, you changed the sensor and the filter right? Try getting a oil pressure gauge. Those dummy lights never work right to begin with. With an oil pressure gauge you could tell exactly where your at. I would get a mechanical one over electrical because you see it move as the oil moves.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:12 AM
H-T White Ops

Like the dude above said, try hooking up an oil pressure gauge to see what you get with the engine running at normal operating temp for about 15-20 minutes. Should be seeing between 10-14 psi.
Also, check your oil pan. Is it dented? Have you hit anything lately? I know you said your pickup was fine but how about the actual pan?
Old 07-25-2005, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IslandSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Like the dude above said, try hooking up an oil pressure gauge to see what you get with the engine running at normal operating temp for about 15-20 minutes. Should be seeing between 10-14 psi.
Also, check your oil pan. Is it dented? Have you hit anything lately? I know you said your pickup was fine but how about the actual pan?</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is a small dent in the pan, right behind the drain plug, but it was there when I put the motor in 2 years ago. The light has never come on until now so I don't think that would be it.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nub.96ek)

The next day when I went to check the pressure w/ a guage... the light never came back on and the car runs great! Go figure... guess it was just acting up... the light I mean. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

...back in busness...