Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil Light Flashing and Headlights Went Out

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 09:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Oil Light Flashing and Headlights Went Out

I was coming home from a friends tonight and my oil light started flashing, this has happened to me intermitently and I have always cut the car off and checked the oil level, well, before I could pull over my headlights went out, and my guage cluster started to get dim and bright, dim and bright. I pulled over and checked the oil level again and everything checked out, any idea's what could be going on? I drive a 92 civic CX Hatchback with Koni Yellows/Ground Controls(450/550)

Modified by SandstormGT at 9:03 AM 10/12/2008
Old 10-11-2008, 11:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Oil Light Flashing and Headlights Went Out (SandstormGT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SandstormGT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was coming home from a friends tonight and my oil light started flashing, this has happened to me intermitently and I have always cut the car off and checked the oil level, well, before I could pull over my headlights went out, and my guage cluster started to get dim and bright, dim and bright. I pulled over and checked the oil level again and everything checked out, any idea's what could be going on? I drive a 92 civic CX Hatchback with Koni Yellows/Ground Controls(450/550)</TD></TR></TABLE>

oil pump good?

you mentioned you're lowered.

you smack the oil pan, and dent the pickup causing less oil flow?
Old 10-12-2008, 04:08 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I am quite a bit lowered actually, but I have never hit anything to make me worry, I take it easy everywhere I go, I know the oil light comes on from oil pressure, but I figure if the oil pump was going out, why would it intermitently flash, why not just stay solid. And the fact that my headlights went out when this happened and now won't come back on, makes me think its something else entirely.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:57 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Ok, so I broke out the Fluke and checked the voltage to the low beam and high beam terminal on the headlight socket, both around 11.80 volts. It appears both my bulbs are blown, the fuses are still good though. So what would cause a power surge in my car, to make everything start going bright, then dim, bright then dim, then make my oil light start flashing, and then both my headlights blow out at the same time? I have checked all 3 of my main grounds, they all seem fine.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:25 PM

Default Re: (SandstormGT)

check a ground
Old 10-12-2008, 10:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (eg6sir24life)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6sir24life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check a ground</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for your valuable insight...
Old 10-12-2008, 10:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SandstormGT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am quite a bit lowered actually, but I have never hit anything to make me worry, I take it easy everywhere I go, I know the oil light comes on from oil pressure, but I figure if the oil pump was going out, why would it intermitently flash, why not just stay solid. And the fact that my headlights went out when this happened and now won't come back on, makes me think its something else entirely.</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually it will, then the engine will eventually die. i assumed your engine didnt start.

does your motor RUN?

will it crank, kinda need to know that information
Old 10-12-2008, 11:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

of course it cranks, I drove it home with no headlights about 4 miles. I don't understand what my oil pump, has to do with my headlights and cluster lights dimming and then my headlights blowing out? I wish oil pump was the problem, so I could just replace this motor with another $100 d-series, but I think there is another problem that replacing the motor won't fix...
Old 10-12-2008, 11:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SandstormGT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">of course it cranks, I drove it home with no headlights about 4 miles. I don't understand what my oil pump, has to do with my headlights and cluster lights dimming and then my headlights blowing out? I wish oil pump was the problem, so I could just replace this motor with another $100 d-series, but I think there is another problem that replacing the motor won't fix...</TD></TR></TABLE>

nah i thought you starved your car for oil, then blew the motor, and were questioning why the lights went off becuase your motor/alternator just stopped

i think you shorted one of the grounds thus blowing the head light,

does the cluster still work?

cluster lights aside.

spedo, tach etc.

id pull it apart to see if you blew any of the bulbs inside it.

i HIGHLY DOUBT it was a simple spike,

i know you said you chekced the grounds, im not going to tell you the check them,

check around them,

you know the entire motor and trans is grounded correct? / chassis is also grounded.

LOOK for a SHORt on the circuit that the cluster LIGHTS, head LIGHTS, are on.

the oil pump light is just that, it is a buulb behind the cluster.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:25 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Yea, after I checked to make sure I had the proper oil level and make sure there wasnt anything I could see under the hood, I drove the car home, cluster and interior lights work fine, headlights, high and low beam and blown, the OIL light stayed on, no flashing, the whole time i was riding home. The thing is, right before both headlights blew, my car started hesitiating, like there was a power loss, right when thte cluster lights and headlamps were dimming in and out. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

up.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:57 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Just wanted to follow this up. I replaced my headlight bulbs, they were both blown. Chcked my voltage at startup and everything seems fine but that is usually not when the problem occurs, seems like when my car gets warmed up to operating temprature, the oil light will start flashing for maybe a minute, and then stay solid, usually it starts happening right about the time that my car will hesitate every once in a while, like i was turning the A/C on and off, I know this has something to do with power flucuation, because at night time, when the headlights are on, you can see them get really bright, like I turned the high beams on, and then get really low, like the battery is going dead, and when this happens, the car hesitates. Luckily it hasnt burned the new set of bulbs out yet. Anyone got any ideas? I'm thinking maybe altenator...