Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

oil and coolant mixing

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil and coolant mixing

here's the story
i put a hole in my block. its a B18b1. so i bought a complete freshly rebuilt b18b1 off a friend. i spent all week taking my motor out and putting in my new one. i got it all finished up today and filled it up with oil and it immediately leaked out of the tube that goes across the back of the block (from the lower radiator hose to the water pump)
okay so i thought it was a bad head gasket. i went to auto zone and got a new head gasket, put it on, i checked the mating surfaces, they looked spotless, checked that the head and block were flat with a flat piece of metal and they were good. i torqued them to the right specs in the right sequence.
ohh and when i had the head off i sucked all the oil out of the area around the cylinders where the coolant flows. but after all this oil still leaks out of where the coolant should be.
i'm guessing a cracked head? should i try my old head and see if its any good?
even with a crack though i wouldn't think oil would pour out as fast as its poured in.

thanks for input guys
b18b1 in 1994 civic hatchback
Old 02-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: oil and coolant mixing

You need a precision straightedge to check mating surfaces. You should have had the head checked by a shop.
How is anything leaking out of the coolant connecting pipe? Is the engine completely assembled? If filling the engine with oil is causing oil to pour into (and apparently out of) your cooling system then something is either connected wrong or you have severe internal damage (and I still don't see how it's possible). Did you put o-rings on the ends of the coolant connecting pipe?
Have you started the engine?
Old 02-16-2013, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

something could be connected wrong, i wouldn't put myself past that.
i haven't started the car yet.
would o rings on the coolant pipe make it leak oil? i would just think it would leak antifreeze. i should have been more specific but it leaks oil out of one of the nipples coming off of the pipe, i don't think i have a problem with the seals on it.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any other ideas anyone?
Old 02-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i guess I'm trying to figure out if theres anywhere other than where the head and block meet that has the potential to leak oil where antifreeze should be/ vise versa.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well it looks like no one has any ideas so if the weather is good tomorrow, i'll throw on my known good head and see if the problem persists
Old 02-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you didn't cross your PCV and coolant hoses under the manifold but I still can't see how oil from the top of the head could make its way into the coolant connecting pipe (I haven't looked at a diagram though). Where are you pouring the oil in?
Maybe you mashed one of the locating dowels between the block and head and that's allowing the oil to get from an oil passage to a coolant passage where the head and block aren't mated properly. It has happened before.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is your head or block surface
Old 02-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by strategy400
Make sure you didn't cross your PCV and coolant hoses under the manifold but I still can't see how oil from the top of the head could make its way into the coolant connecting pipe (I haven't looked at a diagram though). Where are you pouring the oil in?
Maybe you mashed one of the locating dowels between the block and head and that's allowing the oil to get from an oil passage to a coolant passage where the head and block aren't mated properly. It has happened before.
thats possible, i'll check the dowels before i put the head on and make sure