Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Oil Change gone bad....help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change gone bad....help

Went to go change the oil, and the nut is almost completly rounded off. I have no idea how this happened, but it is. Any ideas on how to get it off or where to take it to?

In the mean time, while I'm tryin to figure out how to get the SOB off, I notice a **** load of grease all over the inside of my passanger wheel. UH OH. Torn CV Boot, ****. Time to get a new axel or just duct tape the rip? bearing isn't making any noise yet...suggestions?

damn hondas.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Trial User

use a vise grip to get the round nut of. and for the axel, if nothign is wrong with the joints, just re-boot it (if you know how). if u dont know how, trade in your old one at kragen or an auto parts store and get a remanufactured one.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Oil Change gone bad....help (MrIllegalX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MrIllegalX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Went to go change the oil, and the nut is almost completly rounded off. I have no idea how this happened, but it is. Any ideas on how to get it off or where to take it to?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Use a 6-point socket and see if it holds the bolt. Most to all hondas (if not changed) are 17mm drain plug bolts. If that does not work, try to hammer on a smaller SAE or metric socket (careful, it is your oil pan, do not hammer the socket on too hard, you will bend the pan).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MrIllegalX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or just duct tape the rip? </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, that will not hold. Get a replace boot or (I always do) buy a new axle.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Oil Change gone bad....help (MrIllegalX)

Duct tape won't help that much because it'll just start coming apart again. Just go get the new axle and put it in. It's a bitch the first time. But you'll be much wiser for having done it.

Or upon inspection, you may discover that the CV is actually very good, but the boot is just torn. In that case, you can just replace the boot.

As for that rounded bolt, you may have to pick up a tool to get that off of there. There's all sorts that do that. A trip to Sears would not be wasted.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Electrician

We sell (Sears) sockets to remove rounded nuts. But let me tell you, they're kinda pricey.

Use a pair of locking pliers to get the bolt off. Lock real tight, hammer it off.

Replace the boot, the duct tape is not going to hold.

Damn Hondas? It's not Hondas. It's n00bs who work on Hondas and **** things up.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:20 AM

Default Re: (Dimi)

Just don't be stupid and forget to pick up a new bolt before you pull the old one, unless you have a ride or another car.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (crashN2u)

vice grips for the bolt, just get a new one from honda only a couple bucks

and get a new axle, duct tape wont work for ****.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:29 AM

Default Re: (Kamin)

Simplest thing ive done on a stripped oil pan bolt is don don don use a pipe wrench! Ta Dah will get it off no proplem i dont care if its completly round sqaure or even a triangle! Ta Dah proplem solved! hehe why must ppl make things harder then they must? and as for the torn axel boot, Why replace a perfectly good axel? get a new boot and clamps and just regrease it and put your new booty on. Ta DAH! proplem solved for propaly under $20 less my $50 tech advice fee of course i acept checks cash and paypal
Old 07-16-2004, 11:52 AM

vise grips....hit it with a hammer, thing just flew off and hit my friend in the leg.
pipe wrench...tore the **** out of the bolt, but it got it off. good call.

thank you all. goin to get a new bolt now, then im gonna tackle the boot.

Old 07-16-2004, 12:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">vice grips for the bolt, just get a new one from honda only a couple bucks

and get a new axle, duct tape wont work for ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>