Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Off-Topic... but I dont care. READ ME.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off-Topic... but I dont care. READ ME.

Let me just first say that I care not that this is off topic. I am posting this in the civic forum because this is the forum that I spend the most time browsing and this is the car that I care about the most (even though I just bought my girlfriends 240).

ALSO Im not meaning to step on any toes here so dont take offense Tom.

1. Id really like to see an end put to all the "flaming" crap that goes on. If someone posts a picture of their car, 1. It should be moved to the appearance anyway. But it seems that you ppl really like to keep that kind of crap alive by simply responding. If someone posts a car and you dont like it... DONT RESPOND. what a novel idea. Its because of the responses that the civic forum is so littered with crap now. Granted I like to see pictures of ppls hard work. Its gratifying and even inspirational at times but there is a WHOLE FORUM devoted to pictures.

2. You guys need to lighten up. I posted a thread recently that was meant to be light hearted and uplifting. It was a thread poking fun of ppl that replace washer lights and I get hammered immediately by ppl saying that it was a waste of space. Now i know this sounds hypocritical that I posted an off-topic thread in the civic forum but my point is not to cast out all off-topic threads or pointless threads but to cut down on negative attitudes which seem to run rampant.

I like this forum alot and think its full of fun personalities. Im just kinda pitching the old addage... If you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all. Simply doing that would cut down on alot of negativity.

PEACE BROTHER!!!
(intentionally hippyish)

soapbox - over
Old 09-17-2002, 10:39 AM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: Off-Topic... but I dont care. READ ME. (thinkbrianthink)

Dood, you have 22 posts, your opinion doesn`t matter yet
Old 09-17-2002, 10:42 AM

Man if you think that forum is hard, that's nothing. I have seen alot worse in mmorpg's forums.

LOL Voodoo

[Modified by SpeedyPat, 7:43 PM 9/17/2002]
Old 09-17-2002, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Off-Topic... but I dont care. READ ME. (vtecvoodoo)

I'd have to disagree. Even though neither him nor I have been around for years and years to amass 5000+ posts, everyone's opinion is worth something. He has some very valid points. I, too, am tired of everyone posting negative comments about a pic that someone posts to show off their car. I'm sure that they've put as much time, money, and love into their car with altezzas or washer lights or visors on the mirror or whatever. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Even though they have different tastes than you, me, or others in the car community, who's place is it to say their car is ugly? The way others modify their cars is their prerogative.

And I have been on Internet bulletin boards since I started college 6 years ago and every one I have been on has the same characteristics: people hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet and using it to poke, prode, and insult others. The only reason i'm still part of them is because of the wealth of knowledge that others have and I don't. I'm trying to learn things about many different cars that currently I know nothing about. If I wanted to hear petty arguments and low-blow insults, i'd go back to kindergarten. And some of you should, too!

Vtecvoodoo -> If you posted that in jest, then I apologize for my retort. But I feel these are some things that just needed to be said.

Thanks to those who are adding to the educational content of this and other sites. To those who aren't, try posting here in the future:

http://www.clubsi.com

*Steps off his soapbox and waits for the grammar patrol*

B96v6

[Modified by B96v6, 12:13 AM 9/18/2002]
Old 09-17-2002, 11:01 AM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: Off-Topic... but I dont care. READ ME. (B96v6)

No worries.

It`s a message "forum", members can say just anything they want, within reason. I`d love for the gay posts to stop. Is it going to happen, no. Do I really care, no. Bottom line: It`s the internet, I don`t let it bother me.

Ryan
Old 09-17-2002, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No worries.

It`s a message "forum", members can say just anything they want, within reason. I`d love for the gay posts to stop. Is it going to happen, no. Do I really care, no. Bottom line: It`s the internet, I don`t let it bother me.

Ryan
I agree.

B96v6
Old 09-17-2002, 11:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was a thread poking fun of ppl that replace washer lights and I get hammered immediately by ppl saying that it was a waste of space.
If you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all. Simply doing that would cut down on alot of negativity.
Practice what you are planning to preach.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:38 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Well I thank you for your input, but really I think it was all covered just the same in the thread that is sticky at the top of this forum, don't you think?

I pretty much covered your points plus more.

The problem with "lightening up" is that if everyone decided to post a "funny, light-hearted" thread about a long drawn-out bulb replacement then the forum would be cluttered with non-tech threads and then where's the TECH in honda-TECH then?

Look back at your thread and I even replied in there saying I thought it was pretty funny - others didn't get the joke so they let you know how they felt.

You'll have to grow thicker skin to "live" on the internet.

I've seen your point in #1 in your post and I feel the same way to an extent.

If you're flaming just to be an *******, then yes I think it's unwarranted. If someone is asking for a good flame by typing up stupid-*** posts, or they act like they know something when they are clueless, or if they basically say everyobe else is a moron then please flame away, but do so in an educational manner.

What do I mean?

An obvious noobie posts in his first post that he's going to do an NSX swap in his Civic and turbo it and run 10's on street tires. He's not kidding and he's acting like it's an easy task even thouigh everyone else knows he's full of ****.

Flame if you must, but tell him WHY he's freaking clueless rather than just type "You're an idiot..." or whatever. The more you explain WHY he's wrong the less he can argue back with.

then you'll get those rewarding replies that follow where others post "OwNeD!!!" on your behalf.

Old 09-17-2002, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Off-Topic... but I dont care. READ ME. (tonyxcom)

It was a thread poking fun of ppl that replace washer lights and I get hammered immediately by ppl saying that it was a waste of space.

If you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all. Simply doing that would cut down on alot of negativity.

Practice what you are planning to preach.
That is what I was thinking.

You are saying if you dont like something keep your comments to yourself? That seems funny, maybe because you made a thread devoted strictly to bashing people with a modification that you dont like. Granted wiper lights may not be the greastest way to spend your money, some people like them. You were poking fun at something that some people dont like, and because of this it seems that other people poking fun at someones car when they post it in here is the same thing, but you are telling them not to. Seems a bit hypocritical to me.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:40 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Off-Topic... but I dont care. READ ME. (B18C5-EH2)

...By the way, save posting a pic of the NSX-Powered CRX because I know the owners of it. they live in Georgia and run a shop west of Atlanta.

My example was one of an extreme.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i enjoy reading between the flames.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Off-Topic... but I dont care. READ ME. (ejprimo)

Me too!
Old 09-17-2002, 12:21 PM
Future Texas Boy

Me 3. I enjoy flaming, too
Old 09-17-2002, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

...By the way, save posting a pic of the NSX-Powered CRX because I know the owners of it. they live in Georgia and run a shop west of Atlanta.

My example was one of an extreme.
i saw a picture of that, its sweet!!
Old 09-17-2002, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Off-Topic... but I dont care. READ ME. (pennies_hatchie)

This was already covered.... Take some time and read the 1st post on the forum.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:08 PM

And I have been on Internet bulletin boards since I started college 6 years ago and every one I have been on has the same characteristics: people hiding behind the anonymity of the Internet and using it to poke, prode, and insult others. The only reason i'm still part of them is because of the wealth of knowledge that others have and I don't. I'm trying to learn things about many different cars that currently I know nothing about. If I wanted to hear petty arguments and low-blow insults, i'd go back to kindergarten. And some of you should, too!
Wah. Wah.

*Steps off his soapbox and waits for the grammar patrol*
Well, despite criticizing the above, the spelling **** (i.e. me) is impressed that you could spell prerogative. Can you use it in a complete sentence?

Notably, the next to last sentence in the first paragraph is a horrible run on. The use of the contraction "it's" in the next sentence confuses the heck out of the issue, and makes the fact that you spelled prerogative correctly irrelevant.

Shawn

[Modified by shawnhayes, 6:09 PM 9/17/2002]
Old 09-17-2002, 02:14 PM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: Off-Topic... but I dont care. READ ME. (shawnhayes)

lol

Old 09-17-2002, 02:32 PM

B96v6

Old 09-17-2002, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ouch! You guys are harsh!

*Runs crying to his room*

Baby96v6

Oh -> orginal post has been corrected grammatically. Thanks, Spellcheck-ShawnHayes!

[Modified by B96v6, 12:14 AM 9/18/2002]
Old 09-17-2002, 03:15 PM

Ouch! You guys are harsh!

*Runs crying to his room*

Baby96v6
Come on. We know you can take it. These are adult forums for gear heads - notoriously thick skinned. You knew the fangs would come out - you even asked for the grammar patrol. (heck, so I'm the spelling ****, didn't you know I'd be along for the ride?)

Shawn
Old 09-17-2002, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Let me just first say that I care not that this is off topic. I am posting this in the civic forum because this is the forum that I spend the most time browsing and this is the car that I care about the most (even though I just bought my girlfriends 240).

ALSO Im not meaning to step on any toes here so dont take offense Tom.

1. Id really like to see an end put to all the "flaming" crap that goes on. If someone posts a picture of their car, 1. It should be moved to the appearance anyway. But it seems that you ppl really like to keep that kind of crap alive by simply responding. If someone posts a car and you dont like it... DONT RESPOND. what a novel idea. Its because of the responses that the civic forum is so littered with crap now. Granted I like to see pictures of ppls hard work. Its gratifying and even inspirational at times but there is a WHOLE FORUM devoted to pictures.

2. You guys need to lighten up. I posted a thread recently that was meant to be light hearted and uplifting. It was a thread poking fun of ppl that replace washer lights and I get hammered immediately by ppl saying that it was a waste of space. Now i know this sounds hypocritical that I posted an off-topic thread in the civic forum but my point is not to cast out all off-topic threads or pointless threads but to cut down on negative attitudes which seem to run rampant.

I like this forum alot and think its full of fun personalities. Im just kinda pitching the old addage... If you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything at all. Simply doing that would cut down on alot of negativity.

PEACE BROTHER!!!
(intentionally hippyish)

soapbox - over
1) if somebody posts a picture of their car and it has altezzas, a touring wing, unpainted body kit etc, the person is looking for opinions, and if it looks like ***, im gonna tell them it LOOKS LIKE ***. people dont post pictures of the OUTSIDE of their car to just say "here i think this looks good i dont care what you think" because if they didnt care, they wouldnt post it at all.

2) i kinda agree, im all for making fun of the stunnaz but the civic/tech forums arent the place for it.
thats what members corner is for
Old 09-17-2002, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Off-Topic... but I dont care. READ ME. (shawnhayes)

I love this forums. There will always be flames everywhere you go in the internet. Its fun, some people take it to heart. It really doesn't matter because you will rarely meet anyone from here and when you do, those that you think are ******** they are usually bunch of great people in person. I've met a few and its always a pleasant experience.

By the way did someone change the font design here ? I went to Rhode Island and back and the font looks different. Maybe the abscence from the internet for a week made me forget about how this placed looked.
Old 09-17-2002, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Off-Topic... but I dont care. READ ME. (ejprimo)

yes sir !
Old 09-17-2002, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Off-Topic... but I dont care. READ ME. (E M 1)

I love you guys.
I took no offense to any of this.

My post count is low but its just cause i dont post

"in befoe da lock!"
and
"oWnEDD!!!"

If i dont have any knowledge on a subject or if my only experience must include the phrase "this guy i know" or "a friend of mine" I just dont post. Ive been around plenty. I have participated in plenty of swaps (and by this i do NOT mean handing someone tools...) to have a good grip of knowledge. But this doesnt lead me to believe that im the ultra-uber god of honda knowledge either.

Mainly this post was to stir up some conversation.

Looks like it worked.

BTW... My post on the headlights was supposed to be "lighthearted". I was not trying to DIRECTLY offend anyone and if i didnt state that somewhere in the post I appologize to anyone that has swapped out there headlights.

All in all i love reading the board and will continue to do so.

I cant stand to see ppl on the moderators jock but I do have to give props to Tom. The forum is looking closer to ship-shape and its definitely headed in the right direction. I just think of the civic forum as a community within a community. If we cant have humorous posts every once in a bit then we need to learn to laugh at ourselves.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:12 PM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

Quick Reply: Off-Topic... but I dont care. READ ME.