Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OEM Security System for 99-00 Civics (Canadian Edition)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OEM Security System for 99-00 Civics (Canadian Edition)

If you're wondering why I'm doing an OEM install rather then aftermarket, it's because I'm not a fan of most aftermarket stuff.

I'm currently in the process of installing the OEM security system in my 2000 Si. For those of you that don't know, Canadian model EX's and Si's (like mine) don't use the Keyless Door Lock Control Unit that is located in the driver kick panel. Instead, the keyless functionality works from within the Security Control Main Unit that is shared between all equipped model years from 96-00. Canadian model Security Units have an antenna that pops out of the bottom of the unit next to where the green 22-pin connector would go and that is used for the keyless fobs. The system I installed so far works (2, 3A fuses installed as well) but part of the install consists of adding relays to the brown 4-pin connector and the brown 6-pin connector that are both hidden behind the driver fuse box.

Both connectors are for when the alarm is triggered; the starter becomes disabled and the parking lights flash while the horn goes off. Currently the 6-pin connector I have in my car has a jumper connector plugged into it and if I remove it, the starter is cut and no longer works; regardless if the security unit is plugged in or not (I assume this is just the stock way of saying your car didn't come with a security system). These relays seem to be discontinued as I can't find them from any OEM part suppliers. Are there any other relays that can be used as alternatives or am I **** out of luck in terms of the starter cut and flashing parking lights.

The relays look like this:

Last edited by EricEJ8; 03-25-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Re: OEM Security System for 99-00 Civics (Canadian Edition)

I'm pretty sure I sell those 2 relays at autozone, I'll bring my copy of the instructions on tomorrow to check

Old 03-26-2019, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

The installation instructions also mention incorrect prong numbers on one of those relays. At least on the usdm version.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by stin1
The installation instructions also mention incorrect prong numbers on one of those relays. At least on the usdm version.
Which instructions? I just ordered the 2 power relays, 1 of them is off a CBR600 lol

4-pin relay: 39794-SL0-J01
5-pin relay: 39793-SV4-003
Old 03-26-2019, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My apologies. The 97 pdf shows a six pin relay and was the same 5 pin relay used in the 2000. The 2000 PDF has the correct 5 pin listed. Awesome you got the relays. You are still missing the disarm switch. I couldn't find the plug for that thing. Also the led but I doubt you care about that.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My apologies. The 97 pdf shows a six pin relay and was the same 5 pin relay used in the 2000. The 2000 PDF has the correct 5 pin listed. Awesome you got the relays. You are still missing the disarm switch. I couldn't find the plug for that thing. Also the led but I doubt you care about that.
I’ve been trying to find the attachment kit for the 99-00 civics that include the LED and the disarm switch but I can’t seem to find it at all. There’s the 08E55-S01-101H and the 08E55-S01-100H which is the “security attachment” kit for the 99-00s but there’s also the 08E55-S01-100 “security attachment” kit for the 98 hatchbacks and base model coupes. I don’t know what the difference is but I highly doubt it comes with the bracket that mounts the security unit under the steering column.

I have found the connector for the LED but I still can’t find the disarm switch/valet connector.

Worse case scenario without the disarm switch: The fob dies and because you unlock the car with the key, you end up setting off the alarm and can’t start the car. Solution: Keep a spare battery in the car.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I couldn't locate it either. Supposed to be behind the fusebox. Cut my ear open looking for that thing and gave up . Also went and got a new battery for the fob so that doesn't happen. Lol. The 98 one mounts to the radio so you won't get the attachment bracket. Also the disarm switch is on the radio for the 98. I wouldn't see any reason for an attachment kit for the 96-98 (at least usdm models).
Old 03-27-2019, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just got both relays from a Honda dealer. I had to go to a specific dealership because whenever I called a dealership, they either couldn't see the relay or it said it was discontinued. Why this dealership was able to see and get both beats me. Like I said earlier, the 5-pin relay came off a CBR600 F4 so it has this rubber jacket over it to protect it. You might be able to just connect them but I took the jacket off it to try and tuck it better under the dash.

Connected both relays and tried it out. Locking the car flashes the lights once and unlocking it flashes them twice. The cluster and climate control unit light up when you unlock and lock. The lights also flash when the alarm goes off as well as the starter not working.

Although I can't find the LED and disarm switch kit, I'm happy with this. Total I ended up paying $220 CAD, most expensive part being the relays but for an OEM option that's directly plug n play, I'm not complaining.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I couldn't locate it either. Supposed to be behind the fusebox. Cut my ear open looking for that thing and gave up . Also went and got a new battery for the fob so that doesn't happen. Lol. The 98 one mounts to the radio so you won't get the attachment bracket. Also the disarm switch is on the radio for the 98. I wouldn't see any reason for an attachment kit for the 96-98 (at least usdm models).
By any chance, is the horn supposed to honk when you lock and unlock it or is it always silent unless the alarm goes off? The security units are all the same on the Canadian 6th gens as far as I know but I am using a 96-98 fob with the option button on it.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EricEJ8
By any chance, is the horn supposed to honk when you lock and unlock it or is it always silent unless the alarm goes off? The security units are all the same on the Canadian 6th gens as far as I know but I am using a 96-98 fob with the option button on it.
On the 2000 you press the lock twice for the meep meep. On the 96-98 you press the option button and another button to turn the horn on when you lock it on the fob. This will apply to only one fob for the 96-98 . Meaning if you have two you will do it to both fobs . After you do that they meep with press of the lock button .
Old 03-27-2019, 07:58 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Interesting, sucks that usdm market didn't that this. I would've modded the **** out that alarm with tilt and shock sensors.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Interesting, sucks that usdm market didn't that this. I would've modded the **** out that alarm with tilt and shock sensors.
I don’t know why they had to make it so different between the 2 markets.

My brother used to have an SE, which is the upgraded version of a DX, and he said he had keyless entry but no alarm system. It’s all super weird.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by tony_2018
They were a factory option. I have a user owners manual sitting here next to me. The shock sensor is in the radio and really just goes off if the vehicle isn't opened with the key fob. There is nothing to molest, its just a shock sensor ontop of the factory radio. Keep your eyes peeled on eBay they pop up randomly

I havent done any research on the 99-00 alarm system

I don’t know why they had to make it so different between the 2 markets.

My brother used to have an SE, which is the upgraded version of a DX, and he said he had keyless entry but no alarm system. It’s all super weird.
Different global regulations. For whatever reason USDM market cars are required to have a dimmer switch. Every car has one
Old 03-30-2019, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Different global regulations. For whatever reason USDM market cars are required to have a dimmer switch. Every car has one
CDM ones have the dimmer too, I think only Japan didn’t require it. They didn’t have cruise control either so instead of there being 2 buttons tabs under the driver vent, it’s just a little pocket.

The security unit I got has the sensitivity adjuster as well as the sensor on top. This apparently came off a 96-98 but it works just fine in my 2000. The key fobs got the option button too. If you hold down the option button and the lock button, it’ll go either silent lock/unlock or lock/unlock with horn beeps.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:38 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Hey, those relays you got are run of the mill 4-pin and 5-pin relays. If you bought new then you paid too much (too late now, though). You could have found them at junkyards for $1-2 or less. 5-pin relay is on just about any 90s Honda with a sunroof. 4-pin is on any 90s Honda with an airbag. This is just an example. There are many more locations to find those relays. Very very common.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:42 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

This is all quite interesting to me, btw. If you're keen to nerd-out even more, here's my write-up on the 5th Gen Civic Security System: https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...entry-3235682/
Old 04-01-2019, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
Hey, those relays you got are run of the mill 4-pin and 5-pin relays. If you bought new then you paid too much (too late now, though). You could have found them at junkyards for $1-2 or less. 5-pin relay is on just about any 90s Honda with a sunroof. 4-pin is on any 90s Honda with an airbag. This is just an example. There are many more locations to find those relays. Very very common.
Yeah, the guy I bought the security system from ended up going to the scrapyard on the weekend and got both relays for free haha, oh well. I learned for next time.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:35 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

hm, over the weekend I wired in a new alarm and noticed that my 99 has the green security plug....
Old 04-23-2024, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got both relays from a Honda dealer. I had to go to a specific dealership because whenever I called a dealership, they either couldn't see the relay or it said it was discontinued. Why this dealership was able to see and get both beats me. Like I said earlier, the 5-pin relay came off a CBR600 F4 so it has this rubber jacket over it to protect it. You might be able to just connect them but I took the jacket off it to try and tuck it better under the dash.

Connected both relays and tried it out. Locking the car flashes the lights once and unlocking it flashes them twice. The cluster and climate control unit light up when you unlock and lock. The lights also flash when the alarm goes off as well as the starter not working.

Although I can't find the LED and disarm switch kit, I'm happy with this. Total I ended up paying $220 CAD, most expensive part being the relays but for an OEM option that's directly plug n play, I'm not complaining.

Did u find the conector for the valet switch? At my civic 2000 I just find out the led conector:

Old 04-23-2024, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hochdecker
Did u find the conector for the valet switch? At my civic 2000 I just find out the led conector:

5 year thread bump lol

I sold the car back in 2020.

I never ended up worrying about the valet switch and moved on. I can’t recall what that connector was for, sorry.
The following users liked this post: