Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OEM EG CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM EG CD Changer

Hey guys,
I've been bustin my *** looking for pics of this installed, the original 6 cd magazine changer. I want to see how it's set-up from factory so I know I get it right. Plus, I think I found it online but I wanna make sure it's not a scam. check it out

here's the site: http://www.oemautosound.com/pm-58-11...ger-honda.aspx
Attached Images  
Old 12-15-2010, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OEM EG CD Changer

Price for it from Honda is $600. Nice
Old 12-15-2010, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmm...I find it odd that the ad says it fits a 94-98 Civic...this time span crosses over between the EG (92-95) and EK (96-00). Why would it fit a '94 Civic, but not a '93? Also, it doesn't say WHICH Civic it fits: Is this for a sedan, coupe, or hatch? I'd take this ad with a grain of salt if I were you.

What do you plan on installing it in? I don't recall USDM EG Civics coming with a CD changer. The JDM hatches and sedans had an option for one, which was installed in the long JDM armrest. The JDM coupe and SiR-S hatch (both of which had short armrests) had it installed in the trunk. Here is a pic of one installed in an SiR-S trunk box:

Old 12-15-2010, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know for a fact that the usdm hatches came with that option because of this:
1- The USDM radios have a cd button
2- My owner's manual provides directions for the "optional cd changer"
3- I went to a Honda dealership and they had the part in stock

In that pic, is that the way CD changers came oem or did you come up with that setup?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll have to look through my '92 hatch's owners manual. It's possible it came with one as an option, though I've never seen a hatch with it. In a USDM hatch, I would imagine it would have had to be installed in the trunk somehow, probably somewhere around the spare tire. I can't think of any other place to put it, and I'm not even sure where there's room for it.

I did a little digging and found that the 4-door definitely had the changer option. Here are the instructions for installing the changer into a 4-door.

As a bonus, it shows you how the armrest is installed. If you go here, you'll see other install instructions of optional accessories. Note that they list instructions for installing a changer in a 2 and 3 door Civic, but clicking on the links leads you nowhere. Not sure why, unless CD changers were not options for the coupe or hatches.

fm
Old 12-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I did see a hatch at a junkyard once that had the OEM CD changer at some point, The Din cable was still there, but the changer itself was gone. As for why it says '94 - '98, it probably had to do with factory stereos for those years have a DIN plug on the back.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
I did see a hatch at a junkyard once that had the OEM CD changer at some point, The Din cable was still there, but the changer itself was gone. As for why it says '94 - '98, it probably had to do with factory stereos for those years have a DIN plug on the back.
I thought about that too...it makes sense. Just wondering why the instructions are gone from the link I posted? :/

fm
Old 12-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man, I wish I was there so I could see the setup. I don't care much for getting it because expensive or not, I'll get it. But where, Where?? That's what I want to know. The oem setup mystifies me...
Old 12-16-2010, 06:12 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I had an OE-type CD changer in my '93 Accord EX sedan (and in my '98 Civic EX coupe IIRC) for awhile. It wasn't the one sold by Honda, but the same item by the original maker of the changer.

Anyway, it mounts to the bottom of the rear deck.

My changer cost something like $50. It was the same as the ones Honda sold.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX
I had an OE-type CD changer in my '93 Accord EX sedan (and in my '98 Civic EX coupe IIRC) for awhile. It wasn't the one sold by Honda, but the same item by the original maker of the changer.

Anyway, it mounts to the bottom of the rear deck.

My changer cost something like $50. It was the same as the ones Honda sold.
I see.. Nice deal for it. Unfortunately the hatch has no similar spot to place it on.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm still in for seeing where you'd mount one in a USDM hatch. Just can't see a really clean way of doing it.

fm
Old 12-17-2010, 09:44 AM
H-T White Ops

I've been told the 6G hatch mounts this in a cage.

Also being told that the changer in the first post is likely not one sold through Honda.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its not a scam....the one i have is made by alpine and came in my uncles old eg when he bought it new from the dealer on his oem radio...once he sold his eg he gave me the 6 disc changer which i then put in my cd accord with a oem radio

but now it just sits in my shed
Old 12-17-2010, 10:47 AM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by wolfy47
its not a scam....the one i have is made by alpine and came in my uncles old eg when he bought it new from the dealer on his oem radio...once he sold his eg he gave me the 6 disc changer which i then put in my cd accord with a oem radio

but now it just sits in my shed
I've seen dealers sell after market parts before (that's where the Apline currently in my old/Eran's Accord came from). This could be the same type of changer, but without the logo package that a lot of the Honda/Acura authorized ones got.

Hell, I've got an Audi one here that plugs right into Honda radios as well.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:48 AM
H-T White Ops

Oh, and if you want installation instructions for anything US, all you have to do is go into Honda and ask for them. Often they can print them right off the computer.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:50 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's NOT an OEM changer. The OEM Changers are BLACK (not grey) and say Honda on them, and are made my Panasonic. There's also the JDM ones that are gray and say Honda Gathers, and are made by Kenwood or Alpine (depending on the model).

There are DEALER optional changers made by Alpine, and they say Alpine. I have one in my Accord.

Just because something has an MBUS plug doesn't mean it's Honda. Older Audi and BMW use MBUS changers, as do some aftermarket Alpine units.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So if I really wanted wanted oem style, I should just get it from Honda and ask for instructions? I assume it comes with everything necessary for installation. Can anyone vouch for the quality?
Old 12-17-2010, 02:02 PM
HT White Ops

Here's the mounting kit:

08B13-SR0-100

And the din cable:

08A30-142-010

Order those from a Honda dealership, it costs about $50 each piece. That will mount both the Alpine and the Honda OEM changer. Hell, I've even got a changer I'd sell you for pretty cheap.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: OEM EG CD Changer

Originally Posted by Eran
Here's the mounting kit:

08B13-SR0-100

And the din cable:

08A30-142-010

Order those from a Honda dealership, it costs about $50 each piece. That will mount both the Alpine and the Honda OEM changer. Hell, I've even got a changer I'd sell you for pretty cheap.
OEM?
Old 12-17-2010, 05:17 PM
HT White Ops

No, not oem. That's why I said HONDA DEALERSHIP. Because they're aftermarket. That's why they have Honda part numbers.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Seagull Management

No, not oem. That's why I said HONDA DEALERSHIP. Because they're aftermarket. That's why they have Honda part numbers.
lol.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep in mind that those parts may not be available anymore...you'll have to call and check to see if they can order them. But yeah, your best bet is to call a Honda dealer with that part number and see if they can get it. If so, then order it online at hondapartsdeals.com or somewhere that gives the 30% net discount. That is, unless your dealer gives you the discount.

fm
Old 12-18-2010, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol.
Yeah, that line struck me as odd. Now I feel like my honda world is turned upside down and they've been screwing me with aftermarket stuff.
Are you telling me the parts I buy at a honda dealership isn't genuine honda?

(I foresee a thread name change...:Honda Dealerships: OEM or BS?)
Old 12-18-2010, 04:52 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by Heart4Tuners
Yeah, that line struck me as odd. Now I feel like my honda world is turned upside down and they've been screwing me with aftermarket stuff.

No, that line was clever sarcasm.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:23 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by Heart4Tuners

No, see, he gave you part numbers to mount an OE CD changer in an OE fashion.

Who do you think would sell such a part? He even tells you Honda.

So all signs point to..?

Honda part numbers are mostly set up in a 5-3-3 set up. The last "3" can be more though, I'll describe in a second.

Okay, the first five digits say what sort of part it is. For example, if a part number starts with 37820, it's an ECU.

The second set of digits, the three in the middle, tell you what car the part was originally intended for. Keep in mind that a lot of times you'll find a part used on another car on cars that don't match that part number sequence. S04 stands for '96-'00 Civic sedan, but the sedans were the most common body style of Civic for that year in the world, so it's sort of a "base". You'll find S04 parts on the coupes (S02) and hatches (S03) as well.

The last set of digits appear to denote where in a series that part number might lie, or what color or material it might be. While I put down that this sequence is three digits, it's just that none is less than three digits long. Say you're looking at spoilers that come pre-painted. It's likely there will be two letters after the three numbers. The letters are a code for the color.

So look again at Eran's post.
Here's the mounting kit:

08B13-SR0-100

And the din cable:

08A30-142-010

Quick Reply: OEM EG CD Changer