Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OEM Driveshaft Options (B Series EG)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OEM Driveshaft Options (B Series EG)

My passenger driveshaft outer joint boot is spitting grease, and needs to be replaced soon. I am running a B series in an EG (96 spec B18C to be exact). Every single B series driveshaft from Honda/Acura dealers (dealer websites, Majesty, etc.) is discontinued. There is no way to get an OEM 97 USDM Type R driveshaft, and not even a GSR driveshaft.

Do we know who the OE supplier for Honda/Acura is? I would try to reach out to them directly to try my luck. I really wanted an OEM replacement since this is a daily driver (and some street fun) and do not want to go with an Autozone/Advance Auto driveshaft.

Thoughts on the below options?

TEGIWA DRIVESHAFTS AXLES HONDA B-SERIES 32MM 92-00 | Tegiwa Imports
The Driveshaft Shop | ACURA 1994-2001 (DC2/4) Integra Basic Axle Level 0 - Integra - Acura - Import Axles
The Driveshaft Shop | ACURA 1997-2001 USDM (DC2) Acura Integra Type R Basic Axle Level 0 - Integra - Acura - Import Axles

Thanks and looking forward to some feedback..
Old 10-23-2018, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: OEM Driveshaft Options (B Series EG)

No clunks? Can you do just the cv boot?

Not the cheapest option, but I have been running Raxles in my 90 Si HB since 2010. I've sent them in for warranty once for broken/flaking boots in 2017. They're stupid convenient since I live just south of I-75 from them, and Marty has been super helpful and only charged shipping for a full warranty service on them. It was about $60 total to and from for the pair from Gainesville to Orlando.

I do not know the OEM supplier. I went with Raxles since they were the only ones that had the anti-vibration dampeners. I've also replaced several axles in a 96 Civic, a 2002 Civic, and a 2001 Eclipse with no vibration issues. Those were Autozone axles, and still go to this day (about 2-3 years) with no issues. Your mileage may vary. I would lean toward OEM or Raxle since it's a DD and is performance minded.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A slight clunk is developing when turning into and out of parking spaces. Changing just a boot is a PITA and would rather avoid it.

Funny that you mention the location— I used to live in Gainesville.

How much did you originally pay for Raxles? I only need the passenger side and not sure if its a good idea to leave OEM drivers and Raxles passenger.

Edit: Just gave them a call and got the pricing. Pretty fair, but the Driveshaft Shop or the Tegiwa's would be a bit less expensive if getting both sides. If I wanted just the passenger side, you can get that from Raxles and would come out to be a bit less than the others which come in pairs.

Last edited by Dekorum; 10-24-2018 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TBH I'm pretty sure they're about 1.5x more expensive since I got them. I think I paid $440ish for the pair in total around early 2011 and early 12**(Just checked invoice), shipped, purchased at separate times. My quote last year for the 96 LX was $219 with OEM core, and $299 without.

One invoice was $191 in March 2011, and the other in 2012 is $450 but I'm pretty sure I bought an axle for my sister's car at the same time. I don't remember, and the invoice doesn't break down the cost per unit.

You can always call Raxles again and ask if they've had issues with replacing a single unit. I've never personally heard of a situation where different brand axles cause issues, just the shitty parts house ones do.

I do have to say their customer service is freaking amazing. Always prompt and polite, and even gave me brand new boxes that I threw in my attic for the next time I need them refreshed.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sold on Raxles. I talked to Marty earlier today and decided to just get a passenger side axle from them. It is going to be basically OEM from what I've heard. Looking forward to feeling it once installed.

Still wondering who the OE supplier is/was for Honda though
Old 10-25-2018, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Let us know how it goes. I've been super impressed with how stellar they look, even for axles. I think they even came with new axle nuts, but my memory escapes me since I keep several on hand anyway. Toss the box somewhere you have the space. It was annoying to find a box to repack mine.