Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OBDII EG Hatch Update - It's Purdy Much Done! (Long Post)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBDII EG Hatch Update - It's Purdy Much Done! (Long Post)

First off, thanks for clicking on this topic!

What I want to present to the H-T community is my story of converting my OBDI car into an OBDII car. This isn't really done much today and isn't all too popular, due to a lot of factors, one being that most people just swap in a motor and run their chipped OBDI ECU, since it will provide them the most power for their application with the least amount of work. What I am doing is keeping all the working logistics of an OBDII vehicle, and converting the EG into an OBDII vehicle to fully comply with the strict CA smog laws.

Being that I live in CA, smog laws are harsh. The only way I can have this swap be completely legal here is to convert all the emissions equipment to OBDII standards. This means everything emissions-wise on the car must come from an OBDII Integra. All sensors, EVAP equipment, ECU, fuel equipment, etc. You get the picture.

I know it has been done before, but is never quite documented. I am seeking that BAR certificate which will certify that the vehicle is in all aspects completely legal to operate in CA.

Once I am sure everything is A-Ok, I want to be able to provide the H-T members a detailed assessment of what it takes to convert your car. This isn't a simple process, as many donor parts are needed as well as miles and miles of wire. Just bear with me and look for the write up in the near future. I know when I took on this daunting task I was pretty much in the dark. I found some help from an H-T member about a year ago. Since then, I've been pretty much learning as I go, figuring how everything works, why it's there on the car, and what I need to do to make my car operate at factory specs.

I have browsed the boards consistently looking for help with my application, but couldn't really find any. I want people to be able to refer to what I am going to post in the future as their reference for their OBDII conversion, should they choose to go that route. On with the show.

Specs:
92 Civic DX (I know this is an EH2, but I will refer to all 92-95 Civics as EG's here. It's the same concept and the same steps will need to be taken.)
00 B18C5

Everything is in and upon starting the car I only threw two codes on the MIL. Woo Hoo! Yes, that's right, I am happy that my car is throwing codes. With all the wiring that went on, I'm surprised it didn't throw more.

First one being the knock sensor (Code 23), which I'm extremely happy with because there is only 87 octane gas in there (somewhat old also, don't ask, long story), and only fires a code if I rev the motor to 4K+ RPM. I expect this to be remedied once I put in a whole tank of premium gas in.

The second MIL I have is the secondary O2 sensor (Code 65), which I am extremely relieved to have because there is no exhaust on the car. Just the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter. The O2 sensor is just chillin' at the end of the cat, exposed to the outside air, which is likely to give it some skewed readings, resulting in the code being thrown. Once I have my exhaust fabricated I expect this to be remedied as well.

I'm extremely happy that I didn't throw any codes relating to the EVAP system. That would have been fun checking every wire and connection.

I understand that Tom (B18C5-EH2) has this exact same setup, but due to where he lives he doesn't need to convert it to OBDII. His swap is clean, but lucky for him, still wouldn't cut it out here in the Golden State.

The easy route would have been to take an OBDI GSR motor and bolt it in, seeing as the OBDI emissions controls are the same as the EG originally had. I didn't want to settle for that.

Basically what I have in my garage right now is a Type R with an EG shell. Anything and everything relating to the engine is Type R spec. Anything related to the chassis remains EG spec. Simple as that.

I will keep you all informed in the future on how things are going with the referee and I hope sometime soon I'll be able to get that BAR sticker. Hopefully I'll get it before I go to Vietnam for a month.

Hope you enjoyed the read.

[Modified by acuracing, 1:30 PM 3/14/2003]
Old 03-14-2003, 12:06 AM

Default Re: OBDII EG Hatch Update - It's Purdy Much Done! (acuracing)

Sweet, I'll be waiting for your writeup. The only thing I didnt figure out (no hlems manny and no car newer than 92) was the PTANK sensor in the fuel tank. Did you put this into your civic?
Old 03-14-2003, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBDII EG Hatch Update - It's Purdy Much Done! (Slurp56)

ill also be waiting for the update. i also live in san jose and know that its a headache with the car laws and such. good luck man. hey pm me acuracing i got a few questions for you
Old 03-14-2003, 12:24 AM

too long..
<<<lazy
Old 03-14-2003, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBDII EG Hatch Update - It's Purdy Much Done! (Bseriesy0)

looking forward to seeing a complete write up..
Old 03-14-2003, 01:38 AM

thats thinking outside the box
can't wait for a full write up
Old 03-14-2003, 04:25 AM
New User

So what did you do about the EVAP system? Did you actually swap the gas tank+fuel lines+wiring? If so, Kudos, Thats one hell of a job. I had to swap all that **** on my most recent hybrid because the tank on lines on the car were so badly rusted (I didn't bother with the OBD2 though)

See my sig for some in-progress pictures of that swap. I'm particularly happy with the Type R ABS brakes. THAT was a wiring job

Mike
Old 03-14-2003, 12:25 PM

Default Re: OBDII EG Hatch Update - It's Purdy Much Done! (92sleepR)

So what did you do about the EVAP system? Did you actually swap the gas tank+fuel lines+wiring? If so, Kudos, Thats one hell of a job. I had to swap all that **** on my most recent hybrid because the tank on lines on the car were so badly rusted (I didn't bother with the OBD2 though)

See my sig for some in-progress pictures of that swap. I'm particularly happy with the Type R ABS brakes. THAT was a wiring job

Mike
I didn't swap the actual fuel tank. I do have one sitting in the garage, but we tested it with the stock fuel tank and it works fine so far. I got all the sensors from an OBDII car and plugged those in and wired it to the ECU. There was a tube extending from the fuel tank where the stock OBDI EVAP system connected to. I just used that same nub for the OBDII equipment. Honestly, for the OBD II conversion, it's mainly a hell of a lot of wiring and finding the right parts.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

too long..
<<<lazy
n00b

Detailed tech posts are the essence of this site! Honda-Tech.com, not Honda-look at my JDM ashtray and aluminum wing.com

There are many of us who would like to see even more info from that post. Definitely keep us updated along the way.

Old 03-14-2003, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBDII EG Hatch Update - It's Purdy Much Done! (gamby)

so to be legal with an obd2 motor in an obd1 car in cali you have to convert the electronics to obd2? that SUCKS if so.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:49 PM

Default Re: OBDII EG Hatch Update - It's Purdy Much Done! (YumVTEC)

so to be legal with an obd2 motor in an obd1 car in cali you have to convert the electronics to obd2? that SUCKS if so.
Yup. It does suck, but makes for a great project.