Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OBD2 ecu plug ? (searched)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD2 ecu plug ? (searched)

i am new to the world of OBD2 unfortunatly i cannot get away from it due to my states inspection stuff. I have searched and have not found any detailed pics of the plugs that go into the ECU. Can someone please just post me a pic of the plugs and also the connectors on the ECU of an OBD2 p72.

Next question if I wanted to get a jumper harness and an OBD1 P72 how much trouble would it cause at inspection time to just unplug the OBD1 p72/jumper harness and plug up to OBD2 just for the inspection. Basically what im asking is if the OBD2 ECU is not throwing codes when put in the OBD1 ECU... when i switch it back there should be no issues correct??

My next question is with the obd1 ecu in an obd2 car is it possible to jump it to make the CEL blink codes when it comes on?? like jumping the green plug in my 95 del sol?

And also my last question is what ECU is in the 99-00 Si's?? From what i ahve read here the p72 is a GSR ECU??
Old 07-31-2005, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD2 ecu plug ? (EKRboi)

ok with further searching of here and other places i have answered a few of my questions.... i now know what ecu and such i am running exactly.. the last two of my questions i would still like to know.

Now i have another... I am running an p72 (GSR) in my hatch with a b16a2... is this ok? am I getting best |stock| performance out of it? If not what ODB2 ECU should I be running?? Or if its an OK idea to be switching back and forth between OBD1 and OBD2... which OBD1 ecu would be the best or optimal for the b16a2?
Old 07-31-2005, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My next question is with the obd1 ecu in an obd2 car is it possible to jump it to make the CEL blink codes when it comes on?? like jumping the green plug in my 95 del sol?

Yes, you will be able to check the codes the same way.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (specv5150)

thank you. Mow can someone tell me if it is ok or good to be running the GSR ECU with the b16?? i know that at full throttle it blows smoke.. i am guessing this to be because of running to rich.. although I am throwing an o2 code also because of the DC header and no cat is this causing me to run way rich at full throttle??
Old 08-03-2005, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (EKRboi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKRboi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thank you. Mow can someone tell me if it is ok or good to be running the GSR ECU with the b16?? i know that at full throttle it blows smoke.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Define ok or good. The engine runs right? Well, then the ECU seems to be getting the job done. You say it blows smoke - have you ever known that to be a good thing?
Old 08-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EE_Chris)

"define ok or good" - different ecu's have different fuel maps

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You say it blows smoke - have you ever known that to be a good thing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

not to be a smart *** but i didnt ask if it was a good thing or not.. i asked if blowing blowing smoke at full throttle could have something to do with the air/fuel mixture at full throttle seeing as how its not the ecu for the motor and the fact that im throwing an o2 code.. so if anyone has a knowledgable answer to this it would be appreciated.

ps. there is no smoke at all at 1/4 throttle... 1/2 throttle... 3/4 throttle.. just when ive got it wide open (pedal to the floor).

also the question from above about switching back and forth between OBD1 and OBD2 ecu's at inspection time... if someone knows please let me know.. im assuming if everything is AOK when i take out the OBD2 ecu and put in the OBD1 when i put the OBD2 back in there should be no problems.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (EKRboi)

Please be a smart-***....I was.

Different ECUs have different fuel and timing maps because they control DIFFERENT engines.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKRboi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i asked if blowing smoke at full throttle could have something to do with the air/fuel mixture at full throttle seeing as how its not the ecu for the motor and the fact that im throwing an o2 code.. so if anyone has a knowledgable answer to this it would be appreciated.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why bother us with questions like this? The CEL is on - fix the damn problem. Its an O2 code. Well, the last time I checked, the O2 sensor controls fuel mixture feedback. So yeah, you're probably running rich due to the code. The ECU has to revert to something when a sensor it was counting on fails in operation. But it surely isn't going to revert to 'power' settings. It has to revert to something 'safe' and that means adding a little extra fuel to do so.

But I mean, nevermind the fact that you're running a 1.8l ECU on a 1.6l motor - that can't be contributing to your rich condition....

As for switching ECUs when it comes time for inspection, your logic there sounds fine. If you had a completely working and smogable OBD2 setup (with no CEL) and go install an OBD1 ECU, then that should imply that when it comes time for inspection, just pop the OBD2 ECU back in and complete all the readiness monitors and you should be set. Just remember, don't plug the ECU back in and go straight to the station. You have to put some drive cycles on it in order for the ECU to complete its tests. Even though the CEL isn't on, the scanning machine looks 'deeper' that just CEL illumination.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKRboi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not to be a smart *** but i didnt ask if it was a good thing or not.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKRboi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thank you. Mow can someone tell me if it is ok or good to be running the GSR ECU with the b16??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes...you did.