Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

NYS Inspection with a GSR swap...FAILED

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NYS Inspection with a GSR swap...FAILED

My 97 Civic w/ a 97 B18C (JDM) GSR swap went to go get an inspection yesterday, and it failed. The computer could not communicate with the ECU. Called up DMV, they told me I'm screwed and there is nothing they can do.

Anyone have any problems like this? Any ways of getting around it? This is horrible, I feel violated.

NEW YORK = the suck
Old 05-24-2005, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NYS Inspection with a GSR swap...FAILED (maxxd97)

There really isnt any way around it...... have someone with the same year civic go and get inspected and then take a heat gun or hairdyer and heat up there civic enough so it will come off thier windshield and then stick it on yours.....
Old 05-24-2005, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NYS Inspection with a GSR swap...FAILED (cnyej1)

As soon as the registration is up, I won't be able to re register it since my VIN did not receive the inspection.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well then how is that "someone else" gonna get their car inspected?? Well the only way out of this is to run a OBD2 ecu with your motor, or put your stock motor in for the test and then put the GSR motor back in.

But I agree this emission **** is getting to be bullshit. There are so many older cars out there that cause 3 times the pollution and they're ok. Buses and trucks should be their main concern. But theres nothing we can do about it. But I know the people that **** trees everyday wanna have clean air.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NYS Inspection with a GSR swap...FAILED (hondadriver)

It is an OBD2 ECU!!!
Old 05-24-2005, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's OBD-2, and your engine is wired properly, their equipment should be able to talk to your ECU. Maybe you have one of those first generation ECUs that has an OBD-2 problem - I know my state couldn't talk to my computer the first couple times, but they've since figured out whatever the issue was.

The thing is that since my car was listed as being one of the models with a problem they just did a tailpipe test those first couple times.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cnyej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There really isnt any way around it...... have someone with the same year civic go and get inspected and then take a heat gun or hairdyer and heat up there civic enough so it will come off thier windshield and then stick it on yours..... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you kidding me
Old 05-24-2005, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would look into purchasing a usdm obd2 gsr ecu
Old 05-24-2005, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: NYS Inspection with a GSR swap...FAILED (PURPLETERROR)

Couldnt you just stick your stock ecu back it the car and get it check with that???
Old 05-24-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Re: NYS Inspection with a GSR swap...FAILED (B16aDasher)

personally I'd get with a mechanic or someone who has a scan tool and do some troubleshooting to see why your port isn't communicating, could just be a silly wiring problem...you should be ok.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cnyej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There really isnt any way around it...... have someone with the same year civic go and get inspected and then take a heat gun or hairdyer and heat up there civic enough so it will come off thier windshield and then stick it on yours..... </TD></TR></TABLE>

You cant do that cause once you get an inspection the results are sent to the DMV and theyll know if you have had your car inspected or not. If he just gets the sticker off someone elses car hell get a letter in the mail threatening to suspend his license if its not inspected. Best thing for you to do is find someone with a similar setup and see how they passed or try and find a mechanic to pass the car for you.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: NYS Inspection with a GSR swap...FAILED (93civicsedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Prod &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">personally I'd get with a mechanic or someone who has a scan tool and do some troubleshooting to see why your port isn't communicating, could just be a silly wiring problem...you should be ok.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That sounds like a good idea.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondadriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
But I agree this emission **** is getting to be bullshit. There are so many older cars out there that cause 3 times the pollution and they're ok. Buses and trucks should be their main concern. But theres nothing we can do about it. But I know the people that **** trees everyday wanna have clean air.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea very true.

But really though... if we didn't have so many ******* COWS in this world we wouldn't have such a high pollution problem! -100% serious-
Old 05-24-2005, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NYS Inspection with a GSR swap...FAILED (PURPLETERROR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PURPLETERROR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would look into purchasing a usdm obd2 gsr ecu</TD></TR></TABLE>

Werd
Old 05-25-2005, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NYS Inspection with a GSR swap...FAILED (KillBot)

I am getting together with an Acura mechanic today or the next to see if I do have a wiring problem (which could be possible). Also, my uncle is going to talk to one of his buddies who works at the police station and see if there is anyway to get an inspection without the emission testing. He also heard that they give out special codes so that inspection stations can pass cars.

A USDM ECU may work, I might have to pick one up if the wiring checks out okay.

This is so ridiculous....

Has anyone with a GSR motor in their Civic passed???

Also, say goodbye to any chances of turbo that I had in mind.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maxxd97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My 97 Civic w/ a 97 B18C (JDM) GSR swap went to go get an inspection yesterday, and it failed. The computer could not communicate with the ECU. Called up DMV, they told me I'm screwed and there is nothing they can do.

Anyone have any problems like this? Any ways of getting around it? This is horrible, I feel violated.

NEW YORK = the suck</TD></TR></TABLE>PUT IN THE STOCK SINGLE CAM ECU. IT SHOULDNT HAVE ANY CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS. THEN IT WILL BE ABLE TO READ IT.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NYS Inspection with a GSR swap...FAILED (MassScene)

That won't work. Needs to have 4 start up cycles and it reads each one. It will throw codes all over the place and won't be able to run.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maxxd97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Has anyone with a GSR motor in their Civic passed??? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep I went through Emissions with my 1993 civic Dx with a 1996 GS-R motor and a USDM P61 ecu. The car also had an iceman CAI, DCsports 4-1 header and a Thermal Stealth catback exhaust.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NYS Inspection with a GSR swap...FAILED (ramtyper19)

You are OBD1 though....OBD2 is a different story. They hook the car up to the computer....
Old 05-25-2005, 06:58 AM
Electrician

Well in the state of NY, anything over 1996 is hooked up the computer. 1995 and older are roller tested.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: With my POS D15B2, Whereever whenever, United States
Default Re: (Dimitri_EG8 a.k.a. Dimi)

lol that = the suxz
that's why i have obd1
Old 05-25-2005, 07:24 AM
overrated.

Default Re: (MugenHonda)

it's because you're using the JDM ECU that it's not passing. you NEED a USDM GS-R ECU.

good luck.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (OnePointFive)

yes no jdm ecu.... the jdm ecu doesnt communicate with obd2 scanners or scan tools or any smog equipment. you can either put your stock obd2 computer that came in your car back in it and try to get away with that, but i think the bar guys read the ecu code and will fail you if its not the right one..

or you can just go buy a p72 usdm gsr ecu and try to get it bar'd again.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:43 AM
Electrician

Default Re: (siregcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siregcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yes no jdm ecu.... the jdm ecu doesnt communicate with obd2 scanners or scan tools or any smog equipment. you can either put your stock obd2 computer that came in your car back in it and try to get away with that, but i think the bar guys read the ecu code and will fail you if its not the right one..

or you can just go buy a p72 usdm gsr ecu and try to get it bar'd again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think NYS has the BAR thingamabobber. Only **** states like Cali.

All we need is an inspection saying that our car runs healthy and off we go. 99% of the mechanics here wouldn't know if it was a swap or not.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:50 AM

Default Re: (Dimitri_EG8 a.k.a. Dimi)

I dont know about in new york but in ct you can get your car tested at mom and pop mechanics even though the car fails giving them 50 bucks will usually make it pass thats what i did
Old 05-25-2005, 09:54 AM

Default Re: (superchargedex)

lol. come to cali and then bitch bout emissions =]

Quick Reply: NYS Inspection with a GSR swap...FAILED