Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

NSX calipers on a ej (EX)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NSX calipers on a ej (EX)

[....] I'm looking @ upgrading braking for my car. I'm curious as to the clearance and other issues of doing this type of swap. The most I could come up with is this:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=600967

Anyone have a walkthough on our cars?
Old 06-30-2006, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: NSX calipers on a ej (FuNkDrSpOt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FuNkDrSpOt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Anyone have a walkthough on our cars?</TD></TR></TABLE>

same thing, just you have to buy the ITR brake setup.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NSX calipers on a ej (packthis)

Cutting down the amount of FT that you skid when dropping from 65 to 0 isn't driving like a bitch, its unavoidable when you're boxed in. In essence, what you're saying is that avoiding a wreck by cutting my stopping distance from 140 ft to 115 is driving like a bitch?! Thats 2 car lengths ...! That's the difference between stopping and hitting someone.....
Old 06-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NSX calipers on a ej (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

Well, I would....except I just bought new rims and I obviously cant port them over in the [5x114.3] ITR setup.

That's why I was hoping there was a way to port them over with my current setup, or with a GSR setup.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For starters ITRs are either 4 X 114.3 or 5 X 114.3.
I think a decent set of brake pads with a bleed/good fluid should be good for you.
Also it really depends on what tires you are running when you want to choose your brake set up. You can have a great brake set up with crappy tires that will lock up. What tires are you running?
Old 07-01-2006, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NSX calipers on a ej (TR808)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TR808 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For starters ITRs are either 4 X 114.3 or 5 X 114.3.
I think a decent set of brake pads with a bleed/good fluid should be good for you.
Also it really depends on what tires you are running when you want to choose your brake set up. You can have a great brake set up with crappy tires that will lock up. What tires are you running? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I run Pirelli P-Zero Nero's. I wish i had re-purchased a set of PE2's...

Anyways, I guess I could look into the 4x114 set of ITR kits but the main thing that's making me look at this ( aside from my accident and the lackluster way that the car stopped, or failed to anyways ) was the fact that GSR brakes only avg 130-140 in the 60-0 while the ITR's avg 115!
Old 07-01-2006, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would go with the GSR brakes (I think they are the same as EG6 brakes). You have decent tires so you can go with some deceent brake pads with the GSRs. I don't know what is available in the US market but pads like Endless's CCXs/Project Myu HCs/etc are what I would recommend from personal experience. Trust me real brake pads with properly bleeded+decent fluid makes a HUGE difference.
http://www.project-mu.co.jp/
http://www.endless-sport.co.jp/
Old 07-01-2006, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, from what I've been reading, the GSR stuff will net me a total of 5 ft on the 60-0 but the ITR will net me 25 ft....I'd think even more if i was running the NSX calipers.

I've already done the brake pad upgrades, im going to do the fluid next but I just wanted to research it and see if anyone had a link to a DIY page or something.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I tried explaining it but go do what you have planned. Love the term "brake pad upgrade"
Old 07-01-2006, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TR808 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I tried explaining it but go do what you have planned. Love the term "brake pad upgrade" </TD></TR></TABLE>

All you've explained is what I already know: Pads, tires, fluids.
What I'm trying to do is get a better setup ( like the ITR's ) and THEN do the pads/tires/fluids.

I appreciate the attempt, but I just want to know about the NSX/ITR calipers on the ej/ek's....

EJ=140 stock
ITR=115 stock
NSX on an ITR=105 ( est considering 400lbs diff )

Performance pads, tires and fluid

EJ=125
ITR=100
NSX on an ITR=95

Old 07-01-2006, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After about 5 hrs of searching and a sleepless night....
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=734560
http://www.gs-r.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5477

Bless the honda gods.....ooooooommmmmmmmmm

...man im sleepy
Old 07-01-2006, 08:53 AM

try this link
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1513752
Old 07-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My Civic brakes with Honda pads work just fine, I just don't ride people's asses.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're planning on skidding to a stop then nothing you mentioned is going to help you. The fact that your brakes locked up says that your stock setup has enough braking torque to stop the car as fast as any brakes will at that speed. It looks like you've already found the info you need, but I really don't think you're going to shorten stopping distances this way.

I'd do a lot of reading on http://www.stoptech.com before spending money for the wrong reasons.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:03 PM

Yea, he hit a PARKED car in the SLOW lane. Lemmie see. What happened to the median?? I dunno. Parked cars look a lot different than moving cars, especially on the highway. NO one else seemed to hit the PARKED car before he did...
Old 07-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: NSX calipers on a ej (Sketch_hs)

you don't need 5 lug to run NSX calipers.

All you need is knuckles from either 10 inch rotor brake setup or bigger. All calipers bolt up the same. So, you can run Prelude VTEC-same as ITR calipers, NSX calipers, Legend, etc.

Then you need rotors- if you're running Integra knuckles, Prelude VTEC 4x114.3 rotors are hubcentric to the Teg knuckles and only need to be drilled to 4x100- easy to do. Then shave down the mounting bracket for the caliper to knuckle(on the caliper side) by 3-5mm.....and that's it. I've run ITR, Prelude VTEC, and NSX calipers all on Civics with Lude rotors....works Great and is VERY cheap! Oh, check out NAPA for reman calipers...buddy of mine just picked up Supra 4 piston calipers for his IS300 for 75 each
Old 07-02-2006, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NSX calipers on a ej (Kouki-EK9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kouki-EK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you're planning on skidding to a stop then nothing you mentioned is going to help you. The fact that your brakes locked up says that your stock setup has enough braking torque to stop the car as fast as any brakes will at that speed. It looks like you've already found the info you need, but I really don't think you're going to shorten stopping distances this way.

I'd do a lot of reading on http://www.stoptech.com before spending money for the wrong reasons.</TD></TR></TABLE>

K, I don't understand this line of thinking. I see all the science behind it but I think those who are quoting physics formulas dont understand physics and are messing it up. Def not stoptech, but a lot of people on H-T start engaging in physics discussions but I think they're far off because they're talking theoretical values and applying it to real life situations.

Yes, the fluids, the tires, the suspension and the weight all make a huge difference, but If I'm running 205mm and a better tire than an ITR ( 195mm and OEM Michelin's ), obviously the difference is in the suspension and the brakes....Better yet, as I quoted Packthis on, why is there a difference between the GSR and the ITR? I think the stock brakes are designed to utilize the stock setup ( 185mm + stock springs + cheap tires )....so when our cars go beyond stock ( tire size & suspension ) then we have room to improve. I'm not going to halve the braking distance, but I will decrease it.

The one person who did this upgrade and reported numbers got 100ft for his 60-0. I think what I'll do is create a DIY and post the results so that it can end this entire discussion. Of course that'll have to wait until im done with the turbo and engine rebuild....

Anyways, thank you to everyone who found an ability to stay on course of the topic, whether you were pro- or anti- brake upgrade.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NSX calipers on a ej (Evs-One)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evs-One &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you don't need 5 lug to run NSX calipers.

All you need is knuckles from either 10 inch rotor brake setup or bigger. All calipers bolt up the same. So, you can run Prelude VTEC-same as ITR calipers, NSX calipers, Legend, etc.

Then you need rotors- if you're running Integra knuckles, Prelude VTEC 4x114.3 rotors are hubcentric to the Teg knuckles and only need to be drilled to 4x100- easy to do. Then shave down the mounting bracket for the caliper to knuckle(on the caliper side) by 3-5mm.....and that's it. I've run ITR, Prelude VTEC, and NSX calipers all on Civics with Lude rotors....works Great and is VERY cheap! Oh, check out NAPA for reman calipers...buddy of mine just picked up Supra 4 piston calipers for his IS300 for 75 each </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks EVS, you always seem to chime in with very useful info. I pretty much have decided that I'm going to go that route ( NSX/Legend calipers with Prelude rotors ). I'm looking forward to the upgrade because no one on H-T has any real proof of what these setups can do.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:00 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FuNkDrSpOt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If all brakes are created equal and the stock brakes cant get any better, then why is there such a change from GSR to ITR brakes?! I mean, its the same car..... Better yet, why is there a change from Civic sedan to ITR? 24 ft of difference is 2 cars. Are you trying to tell me that 2 cars of difference isn't something?! Thats the difference between totalling my car @ 45 and hitting a car @ 30. Modified by FuNkDrSpOt at 1:25 AM 7/2/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your post fails all logic you quote your stats of two different cars with two totally different brake systems that were tested on what I will assume could be called laboratory conditions. Two car lengths is not **** in the real world a persons reaction time, road surface, weather etc all play a factor in stopping distances.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NSX calipers on a ej (packthis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by packthis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Your post fails all logic you quote your stats of two different cars with two totally different brake systems that were tested on what I will assume could be called laboratory conditions. Two car lengths is not **** in the real world a persons reaction time, road surface, weather etc all play a factor in stopping distances. </TD></TR></TABLE>
At what point does it fail logic? 2 sets of cars weighing about the same amount with comparable suspension/tires from the factory. Laboratory conditions are made because when you test something you have to control variables. With all variables controlled ( individual reaction time, error in testing, bias, weather, etc. ) there is STILL 25 ft of braking to account for. Would you like to explain that?
Old 07-02-2006, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I hear ya. It's just a pretty firm belief of mine that despit brake fluid, suspension, and brake pads, if you're running street tires, then your braking is limited by your tires. If you're not running them already I'm confident that some RT615 Azenis for the summer will drop your stopping distance quite significantly.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nevermind, I just realized you're in Sacramento.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:13 PM

I dunno yo. Bigger brakes ain't always the answer... I don't know NSX brakes at all but having too much braking powercan be create just as bad of a situation as having too little braking power.
if you've got too much power there won't be any dead space on the pedal. You can just tap that pedal and come to a screeching hault. If you don't have ABS, you're going to wear your tires fast. Secondly, the likely hood of getting rear-ended should be far greater because the people behind you will have less braking power than you.
Racecar drivers always say that the gas pedal is equally important as the brake pedal when getting avoiding accidents.
Just my two cents.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NSX calipers on a ej (bryphotoguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bryphotoguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dunno yo. Bigger brakes ain't always the answer... I don't know NSX brakes at all but having too much braking powercan be create just as bad of a situation as having too little braking power.
if you've got too much power there won't be any dead space on the pedal. You can just tap that pedal and come to a screeching hault. If you don't have ABS, you're going to wear your tires fast. Secondly, the likely hood of getting rear-ended should be far greater because the people behind you will have less braking power than you.
Racecar drivers always say that the gas pedal is equally important as the brake pedal when getting avoiding accidents.
Just my two cents.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I thought about that. The pedal feel will be different but It wont be much different than a stock NSX that's lightened 200 lbs off itself ( my EJ is about 2800 lbs ). I do have ABS so no prob there.

The idea of being rear ended I never thought about but I rarely have anyone tailgating me and I never tailgate anyone. I just want better braking for those emergency situations, like with what happened to me or if a dog were to run out in traffic. Getting hit from behind&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Hitting someone.

Thank you for trying to bring up some valid points though.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:42 PM

Location: riCk jAmes BitCh 415 fRisKo 2 cAstRo yAy aREa, CA, usa

i would defiinitely spend the money on nsx calipers rather than spending the money on spoon calipers, spoon calipers are just asking your car to get jacked, besides that, they're both 4 pistons

Quick Reply: NSX calipers on a ej (EX)