Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Not impressed with Teins...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not impressed with Teins...

After about 1 yr of driving around with GC coils and stock blown shocks, I decided it was time for a full coilover setup. I had enough with the bounciness so I decided on Teins becuase of the praise I read about them.

I finally got my HAs on my 92 hatch after some unexpected problems today. I bought them beause of such high reccomendations of them and how well they're supposed to be built. Anyhow, the ride quality isn't what I expected, nowhere near stock at all at their softest settings. Most of the bounciness of my GC coils and stock shocks is elminated, but the roads here in orlando still make them noticeable. At the firmest setting the ride is nearly intolerable. Extremely stiff which I admit was kind of cool going around turns and I could feel every bump in the road. Perhaps its the spring rates, but I was hoping the ride would be a bit softer than what it is, it just feels like any other lowered car to me.....

Comfort is important to me, I drive on average 80-90 miles a day so I want something that's not too hard on my back. Atleast it's better than my previous setup.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Not impressed with Teins... (CXHatchback)

what spring rates did you get?
Old 12-02-2002, 04:48 PM

LOL. Who told you HA's rode like stock? LOL.

If you want to ride like stock the only way to do it is to use stock parts.

DONT LET ANYONE TELL YOU ANY DIFFERENT NEXT TIME.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not impressed with Teins... (tonyxcom)

well I read that the softest settings would be close to stock. But its' nowhere near it. Much better than the previous setup but far from OE comfort. The spring rates I got were the default ones, don't remember offhand
Old 12-02-2002, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they are a high preformance comp. suspension component. You will handle like WHOA! but you have to sacrifice the Buick ride quality.
What size tires are you running????

might want to go to a 16 or 15 with a 50-55" sidewall.

Old 12-02-2002, 04:58 PM

If you got the HA's for an EK you have 12k front and 8K rear. If you got the HA's for an ITR (had to use ITR rear LCA's) then the springs are somewhat softter.

There is no way you can get a ride anywhere close to stock with spring rates that are 2x and even 3x higher. You can valve them or adjust them so they aren't "bouncy" but all this means is that more of the rode will be transferred into your seat.

With my HA's in my EK, I can't ride at the lowest settings. The impacts aren't as gutt busting but the car is too bouncy. I am usually around 4-5 in front and 3 in the rear. Still a slight bounce and doesn't bust my gut.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not impressed with Teins... (greebler)

dude are you retarded? Aftermarket coilovers do not ride soft.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not impressed with Teins... (greebler)

What size tires are you running????
I've got 205/40s on 16x7s.

I've got the EK HAs, so 12k and 8k I guess. Damn that's pretty high. Anyone know how much softer springs cost?
Old 12-02-2002, 05:29 PM

your tires are a little small too.

You might want to try some 205/45's

They should give a better ride then what you have now, assuming you stick to the same brand and model tire. You may have different results with a different type of tire. But in general, a 205/45 will ride smoother then a 205/40, especially on a 7" rim.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:33 PM

If you looking for stock ride mabyee it would be best to go with a spring and strut combo like eibach springs and koni struts. I don't have much expierence with those (only coilovers) but ive heard they are a bit better. There is a product out there that will honestly lower your car and retain factory ride. They are spindle replacements for the front and back. I don't know the name of the company but they put some on a 99 civic SI in a copy of HCI magazine. They were really trick but a bit expensive and a pain in the *** to install. but if stock ride is important then thats probaly your best bet.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not impressed with Teins... (Sweet Sol)

Kinda sucks cause I guess you DO have to sacrifice somewhere. I was hoping this high up you wouldn't. I do like the firmness around corners, but I wish it was smoother along the road so I don't feel every bump. I know Bec-Tec Adjustable struts were built for people who wanted to lower and retain factory ride quality. I don't know if they make them anymore. They're not dampening adjustable though.

Ive got Kumho Ecsta Supra 712s on right now. I'll probably have them for a while since I stripped my wheel lock key But 45s might be my next choice.

A softer spring rate would help though, correct? And what would be a good rate that's a bit firmer than stock?
Old 12-02-2002, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WOAH...who said EK rates are 12k/8k on HA's? According to Tien, they are 10k/7k. That is equal to 559lbs/in and 392lbs/in. Zeal B6's are 12k/8k. The Tien's are known for their "relative" comfort compared to other JDM suspension manufacturers.

EDIT: You should have gotten Super Streets or Progress for comfort

Progress Competition
Front: 6k (329lb/in)
Rear: 3k (177lb/in)

Tien SS
Front: 8k (448lb/in)
Rear: 4k (224lb/in)

Tien HA
Front: 10k (559lb/in)
Rear: 7k (392lb/in)

Tien FLEX
Front: 9k (504lb/in)
Rear: 5k (280lb/in)

Zeal B6/S6
Soft
Front: 12k (672lb/in)
Rear: 8k (448lb/in)

Hard
Front: 14k (784lb/in)
Rear: 10k (560lb/in)

All rates are for EK

[Modified by SpoonEK2, 6:42 PM 12/2/2002]

[Modified by SpoonEK2, 6:55 PM 12/2/2002]
Old 12-02-2002, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not impressed with Teins... (SpoonEK2)

WOAH...who said EK rates are 12k/8k on HA's?
Tonyxcom

I got the HAs mainly for the helper spring since I hated hearing that noise when my GCs settled back down during awkward inclines. Damn, should've gotten softer springs.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:54 PM

WOAH...who said EK rates are 12k/8k on HA's?

Tonyxcom

I got the HAs mainly for the helper spring since I hated hearing that noise when my GCs settled back down during awkward inclines. Damn, should've gotten softer springs.
It was my mistake. I just know they aint soft

You should be ok with a 400lb front and 300-350lb rear.
If you like to oversteer you can go 300lb front and 350-400lb rear
Old 12-02-2002, 05:57 PM

stop bitchin, i roll Tein RA's on the reccomended settings of 12F, 6R and thats with 784lb/in F and 560lb/in R. And thats with the Aluminum upper mounts too. Its not that bad once u get used to it

[Modified by , 9:59 PM 12/2/2002]
Old 12-02-2002, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't ridden on anything besides stock and RSR Down springs which were only slightly stiffer than stock. I'm waiting on my B6's to come in (12k/8k) but I don't know what to expect as far as street comfort is concerned. Keep in mind that that is considered the "soft" setup from Zeal. The "hard" setup is 14k/10k!!!! I can't imagine anything stiffer than that, but a lot of guys in Japan run stiffer rates than that on the track. I don't think my kidney's would survive that ride on the street.

Get some softer springs from Tien and try them out. I think the rates that Tony suggested are good. 300lbs/in to 400lbs/in front and back. BTW, what rates were your GC's?
Old 12-02-2002, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not impressed with Teins... (SpoonEK2)

Not sure on the GC spring rates, but I'll check once I clean them up. (for sale btw). Yeah maybe I'll try a different spring rate, I'll sacrifice that extra bit of handling for sure. How much does it cost for a different set of springs?
Old 12-02-2002, 06:11 PM

i think springs for HA's shoud run you about 100-200 for a set of 4.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh that's not bad at all. Thanks for the help guys. For now I think I'll give them a couple of months and see how I adjust to the ride before I go out and buy new springs.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:58 PM
Future Texas Boy

They don`t ride like stock, but I can deal with it around town. I loved mine.

Ryan
Old 12-02-2002, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Not impressed with Teins... (:hammer:)

stop bitchin, i roll Tein RA's on the reccomended settings of 12F, 6R and thats with 784lb/in F and 560lb/in R. And thats with the Aluminum upper mounts too. Its not that bad once u get used to it

[Modified by , 9:59 PM 12/2/2002]
thats what i was gonna say, dont mislead people in saying youre unimpressed with your teins. first of all ha's are known to be mediocre coilovers on the street and track, but theyre still better than so many other "good" setups. you bought a set of true "race oriented" coilovers, and youre complaining about them b/c they dont feel as comfy as the stock dampers. THEYRE NOT ****** SUSPOSED TO.

im running ra's too with the pillowballs, after alot of chasis stregthening, rear 4 point cage, and 26/22 mm front/rear swaybars, my eg can take some pretty sharp curves at over 90mph and my car stays neutral the whole way through, with no ****** body roll, its on rails, and im not exagerating... backroads and offramps have become my new latenight pleasure, and i have complete confidence in my car for basically anything that its approaching. be forwarned about going with a "race" suspension, you will need a new seat, a racing bucket does the job just fine!

but seriously i know not everyone wants an aggresive setup, but i like it, and im really used to it now. you should have done your homework, if a stock ride for a 100 mile commute is what you really wanted, tein ha's werent your solution, so dont dis em.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not impressed with Teins... (euclid)

Duh, read. I didn't say I wanted a completely stock ride. I just said the HAs are nowhere near it. The handling is good but comfort lacks. I've been reading and reading and reading for months about coilovers and I've heard ZERO complaints about them, often hearing that the ride was great too. That's why I opted for them.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:21 PM

try raising your car, i was riding pretty low and my ride was reallly harsh. now im only like 1" lower than stock and the difference is night and day, the more room the damper has to move the softer it will be. my suggestion is not to replace any springs or **** like that, the rates were ment to go with the dampers in a kit like that, thats what works the best. if you raise it up and its still really hard then go with it and start modding your car for performance, every civic is a sleeper b/c people have no idea the performance theyre capable of. also make sure your camber is correct front and rear that will roughen the ride too. good things to say about skunk2 front camber kit, and ingalls rear but make sure the ingalls is rubber bushings b/c the uerethane is loud.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what did you expect from Teins??? they were meant for the track but people use them on the streets because they like the response of the car around tight turns as well as an increase in handling. take it on the track and see how your car goes around the turns...then you'll learn to appreciate Teins...

[Modified by acydphryck, 6:17 AM 12/3/2002]
Old 12-02-2002, 09:34 PM

hey what up cxhatchback. I have seen you at a light before w/ the beef tag on the front. Clean wheels All see you around, i have the grey and black(spray piant) hatch w/ just the crapy crome five stars in just the front. Pretty gay but I am working on it. Later, maybe see you up at speedworld some time.

Quick Reply: Not impressed with Teins...