Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Noob Question - How many drive automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob Question - How many drive automatic?

Just curious as to how many people here drive manual or automatic. My civic is automatic and I wanted to do some minor work to it (intake/exhaust), nothing hardcore like engine swaps, I don't race.

Will I be considered an idiot for modding an automatic? and is there an HP gain difference between manual/automatic for intake/exhaust?
Old 01-01-2007, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Noob Question - How many drive automatic? (Mitsu)

save your money on the exhaust . it will just be loud . if you dont want it fast , just save the money for looks , i.e. carbon hood , wheels , suspension etc.......
Old 01-01-2007, 06:51 PM

I drive a manual and love it. Although there are times (winter/ice) when driving an auto would be easier, i still love my manual civic. As for modding your auto. As long as you dont put huge wings that are hideous, ugly rims, ugly body kits, a bunch of stickers, and a loud exhuast, you wouldnt seem like an idiot/ricer in my book.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not many people mod an automatic, its almost pointless.

Any power you make from an intake or an exhaust will probably be robbed by the transmission.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I drive an automatic....it sucks. Thats why iam sellin it
Old 01-01-2007, 07:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Noob Question - How many drive automatic? (. a d a m)

just leave it stock...

nice suspension and teg brakes are a good mod...
Old 01-01-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Noob Question - How many drive automatic? (. a d a m)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by . a d a m &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not many people mod an automatic, its almost pointless.

Any power you make from an intake or an exhaust will probably be robbed by the transmission.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmm okay I was afraid of that. I'll skip the exhaust system but maybe go for a muffler, I wanted a more defined sound than stock.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just leave it stock...

nice suspension and teg brakes are a good mod...</TD></TR></TABLE>

The car is dropped so suspension is shot
Old 01-01-2007, 07:26 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by . a d a m &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not many people mod an automatic, its almost pointless.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 01-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i drive an auto but when its the weekend i take the 5speed out to have some fun i like the auto because now a days so many civics get into trouble and if you drive one with a exhaust you have a good chance of getting pull so i have a stock auto just to keep the fuzz off my ***
Old 01-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Noob Question - How many drive automatic? (egmatt93)

Wow you guys are idiots. Talking out your *** as usual.

I have a 93 Civic hatch auto turbo full suspension and a roll bar. My first love. Great car. It rips on 90% of other cars on the road. How is that pointless? 92-95 is the only Civic that has 1, 2, 3, 4.

I have a 90 Si Civic hatch. Love the car. But I'm fixing it to sell it cuz it's just too similar to my 93 to be worth having. I'd rather get the money that it's worth.

I just got a 92 Integra hatch manual. Amazing car. No major mods planned.

My girlfriend has a 01 Civic EX manual. Nice car, very comfortable but too soft for my taste. But she shifts too soon and it gets on my nerves. Then when I drive she thinks I'm going to blow it up. I don't even take it to redline. I kind of wish her car was an auto but not if it means losing the VTEC or the EX trim.

Is it more fun to drive stick? No. It's about the same. Sometimes it's even inconvenient. I've modified autos and sticks. It really doesn't make a difference. If you're getting into some serious numbers, then having LSD is very very nice. It's damn near impossible to find a factory auto trans with LSD. I never have but I know they exist.

Another bad thing about autos is that they're too complicated to work on yourself and you can't trust anyone else but the dealership to work on it either. So when the tranny starts going out, you just get a used JDM tranny. But they're not weak, they handle power just fine as long as you keep the fluid cool, and they're not prone to failure. I have a long history of owning Honda automatics with decent power so don't argue with me.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Noob Question - How many drive automatic? (suspendedHatch)

i heard superstreet say that when u run nitrous on an auto its safer beecause u dont have to make sure that the gas is all the way off for detonation
Old 01-01-2007, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I have a automatic, I got my 94 civic for $700 what do you expected?? But I want to get a manual.. Well I did mod my car..I have a CAI and some axle back muffler just for cool, and some other thing like lowering and stuff...Well I think i'm a ricer bump for me being rice
Old 01-01-2007, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My car used to be automatic until I converted it to stick shift, do I regret doing that? Hell no, was totally worth it. In a performance aspect from an auto to manual, there is a difference. Well I got the ex/si tranny haha.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might have/had more luck if you set this up with a poll.

PS: Modifying an auto? Maybe an auto Honda, who knows, I wouldn't consider you an idiot if that helps any .

Though do remember the fastest drag cars are all autos...not Honda autos...but autos none-the-less .
Old 01-01-2007, 10:25 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

hes at it again
Old 01-01-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Noob Question - How many drive automatic? (byronl)

my cars a auto, 92 hatch. I like the car but im goona find a manual shell to put my motor,springs,ect on it. But as far as a auto being slower than a manual at times it can be. But my car has a zc vtec in it and i have beat every single 92-95 ex andls tegs that i have raced. Untill top end
Old 01-01-2007, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Noob Question - How many drive automatic? (I_dont_want_a_user_name)

y dont u just swap ur tranny
Old 01-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've got a 5speed but never take her out(damn theives), so i drive my girls auto...but all in all dont do nothing with it...maybe some suspension work and you'll be fine. I have alot of suspension work and went for interior/exterior also...still running my bone stock y8 with a k/n drop in filter
Old 01-01-2007, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Noob Question - How many drive automatic? (hatch96y7)

cause the cars preety much raged out
Old 01-02-2007, 03:48 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mitsu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Will I be considered an idiot for modding an automatic?</TD></TR></TABLE>
By most people here, yes.

My ears bleed when I hear an automatic vehicle driving by with an obnoxious-sounding exhaust. The difference in sound is painfully obvious to anyone remotely familiar with tuning or motorsports.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is there an HP gain difference between manual/automatic for intake/exhaust?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Gains for intake and exhaust are minimal at best for either drivetrain. The manual car will benefit slightly more, but the difference is still negligible. The automatic will still run 1320' times in the order of 1 second slower.

Most people do I/E as inexpensive, easy to install, and visible/audible first modifications. They have more placebo effect than anything.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[...]</TD></TR></TABLE>
There once was a time when I used to think that you actually knew what you were talking about.

After reading your post in this thread, I've realized that time is long gone.

Modified by Targa250R at 9:09 AM 1/2/2007
Old 01-02-2007, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Noob Question - How many drive automatic? (Targa250R)

I drive a manual, I must say that I love it. The main reason is because just like the previous poster stated, there is a MAJOR difference between an automatic with an exhaust on it and a manual with an exhaust. An automatic with an exhaust sounds terrible and (at least from around here) you would be made fun of whether you tried to "show off" or not. Not because you have an automatic, but because you'd have an automatic with some kind of mod. Now don't take it like I'm attacking you personally because I am not, just giving you some information on it. It may be different where you're at so who knows. But I can tell you that the only manual I have is my civic. My girlfriend just picked up an '01 Celica that's an automatic with tiptronic shifters on the steering wheel. I'd drive that thing until it blows up, I love the car. Comfortable with a little bit of ballage. I'd just say take it and do what you want with it, just don't be an ******* with it and try to be Mr. Badass and then have an auto to back it up unless you have some SERIOUS modding under the hood, then you can be as cocky as you want.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Noob Question - How many drive automatic? (USDMej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just leave it stock...

nice suspension and teg brakes are a good mod...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I tried to search but couldn't find any concrete info, what makes integra brakes better then civic? the larger disc? why?
Old 01-02-2007, 07:49 PM

Like you said you don't race, so I wouldn't worry. As long as you enjoy driving it and know your priorities, I'd hope no one would consider you an idiot.

Whether you decide to modify it or not, don't worry whether honda-tech or anybody else for that matter approves, one of my best friends drives an automatic civic with some bolt on's and he doesn't mind it...he knows it's just for the time being until he can buy his 300zx.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mitsu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Will I be considered an idiot for modding an automatic?</TD></TR></TABLE>

An automatic, no. An automatic Civic, yes.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Noob Question - How many drive automatic? (leeminho86)

I drive a manual Del Sol and love it.

On the other hand, there are time when I wish it was auto, or I had another car that was an auto. Just keep the car looking nice, and driving great, and you can sell it down the road. Just becuase you have an auto now, doesn't mean you cant buy something different later down the road.

Save some $$$ And buy a ITR or s2000, and do the same thing with them as you did with your civic. Keep them looking good and running great!

Quick Reply: Noob Question - How many drive automatic?