Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Noob looking for engine mods.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob looking for engine mods.

Well I'm 31 and got into the import scene back in 99, got married young and have been away a long time well I bought my dream car from back then. 2000 si, well what engine mods can I buy short of a turbo or super c to get the blood flowing. As far as eBay goes anything I should stay Away from? I plan on going with parts I know aem, skunk, dc etc... Just wanted to know what I can max out on without turboing it etc... Any help would be great thx.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:21 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Noob looking for engine mods.

Boost it or swap the engine. Anything else is a waste of time and money unless you're into pure looks. You're looking at maybe 10-12 horsepower with just bolt-ons. You won't even feel it.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would suggest swapping out the bottom end for a b20, then go from there
Old 07-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What about cams, cam gears, fuel rail etc...
Also what do you guys think of the value covers online
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUGEN...Q5fAccessories

Would a after market cover be a negative like not made well etc??
Old 07-02-2011, 02:17 PM
The Grumpiest

None of that stuff is cost effective. After you add all that N/A stuff you could have slapped a turbo on it with a tune.

Valve cover? Whatever floats your boat. That stuff was hot back in the day.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boost > Bolt ons
OEM > Aftermarket

/thread.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just boost. Its the best/ most cost efficient way to get power out of the b16. If you choose to go NA, then be prepared to spend serious $$. If anything work on suspension first while you put real thought into how much your willing to spend and what you want to achieve with the motor before you go spending money on mods that wont make a difference in your power band. Its your car so take your time with it.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How do you guys feel about super chargers compared to turbos. And i guess my apprehension on FI stuff is the longevity of the motor.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would just swap a gsr or itr motor in and drive it. it would be pretty fun and still be a good daily
Old 07-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is just my opinion obviously:

Dont listen to alot of these people, ya b20v, gsr, and itr are all quick, but the value of your car will suffer dramastically because its gonna be molested. If you do all the bolt ons, build the head, even semi built, the car will be a good daily driver with a lil more ... Build the block even if your up to it.

BUT, if you wanna go all out changing engine and everything and not keeping the original items, just sell it to someone that wants to keep it OG, then buy a 2000 ex and make it an SI clone. Not the same, but no one will tell the difference and youll have more $$ to use.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Theres pros and cons for both. Superchargers won't heat up your engine bay like a turbo will. But on the other hand, superchargers need power to make power, and they are belt driven so you have a small percentage of parasitic loss. Turbo's are more efficient for a 4 cylinder IMO.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not doing a engine swap just looking for NA stuff. If i go with a FUEL RAIL what else do i need to buy with it.

Basically wanted to do intake, headers, cams & gears, exhaust, fuel rail etc... It's been a while but if i get a fuel rail won't i need a FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR? Just want to do NA stuff to the stock engine.

For the most part i just want to keep it stock with some nice bolt on's no turbos or engine swaps etc... Just wanted to give it a little extra besides the standard intake, headers etc... Wanted to add some cams, fuel rail etc... Not looking to make a race car. And i don't want to hurt the longevity of the engine.

If i start adding cams will that start messing with the longevity of the engine?

Hell when i get headers i planned on getting the polished dc sport ones cause they look nicer.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:01 PM
The Grumpiest

N/A is a waste of resources. Stock fuel rail is good for more power than you'll make N/A. You won't really get the best out of cams and gears without a proper tune. By the time you're done you could have put on a entry level turbo kit with proper engine management and a tune and destroy any N/A setup you could put together with the same money.

You also seem to be stuck on supercharging. Probably under the assumption that it's somehow more reliable. A turbo setup done correctly is just as reliable as a stock engine. Don't let anyone tell you any differently.

You have a lot of research on your own to do.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Will after market cams like skunks hurt the longevity of the engine? The fuel rail is part dress up.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:14 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by RetroGamer
Will after market cams like skunks hurt the longevity of the engine?
Why do you even think that?
Old 07-02-2011, 04:16 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuel rail, valve covers, etc. . All of this stuff is just for looks and the only person likely to see it is you. If that makes you happy, then go for it because it's your car and making you happy is all that matters, but it won't add any power. You can throw on a pair of cams, increase compression with pistons, do a lot of port work, swap intake manifold/throttle body, get a quality intake/header/exhaust, increase fuel flow, and get an all motor tune if you choose. That'll increase power a bit, but it'll cost a lot more money and time than if you were to just get a turbo kit. The supercharger is nice as well, but will leave your engine bay pretty cramped and a chore to work on.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Why do you even think that?
Just being cautious it's one thing to add bolt ons but to open up the engine and start putting new stuff in. I had a 95 civic i got back in 99 and when i added the cam and cam gear it seemed like i started having problems after that. I had a buddy put in the cam and gear so well...
Old 07-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I say- keep it stock, and be happy with that.
You start modding it and your going to realize how much money you dumped in the car, to make it still a slow car-

its a 12 year old car- it was sorta fast then, and now its 12 years later. You could spend 5k on it (that you can never recover- like if you get into a pinch and need to unload it) and you still wont have a fast car with a warranty (like a STI or whatever)

Fast + reliable are two completely different things-

I mean, its your money, your car- so do what you want. Back in 1999 I spent every dollar I had to change every part of my crx to make it faster. And in 2002 I realized, I couldve saved money and just bought a RSX type S and had a faster car with a warranty-plus a/c, ps,leather interior etc etc etc etc. and I wouldnt have to change an engine, pay for shipping from japan, etc etc etc or bust my knuckles - do hours of work, troubleshooting -

If your deadset on modding the SI- sit on ebay and wait for a JRSC or greddy turbo kit to come along---drop 1k on it....install it...

and then come back to this thread in 18 months to let us know that you wished you didnt waste a grand on something you just sold on ebay for 450. lol.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slomofo
Fuel rail, valve covers, etc. . All of this stuff is just for looks and the only person likely to see it is you. If that makes you happy, then go for it because it's your car and making you happy is all that matters, but it won't add any power. You can throw on a pair of cams, increase compression with pistons, do a lot of port work, swap intake manifold/throttle body, get a quality intake/header/exhaust, increase fuel flow, and get an all motor tune if you choose. That'll increase power a bit, but it'll cost a lot more money and time than if you were to just get a turbo kit. The supercharger is nice as well, but will leave your engine bay pretty cramped and a chore to work on.
Yea i know most of it is looks but money is not a issue for me. When you go down the turbo rout it's one more thing you have to worry about. With the cool down reliability etc... I just wanted to add some simple stuff.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i like hybrid/frankinstien motors. gsr block type r rods pistions etc b16 head gsr cams blah blah i love mixing **** up like thats makes it unique i think. plus u can get a pretty bad *** motor outta it
Old 07-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redm3turbo
I say- keep it stock, and be happy with that.
You start modding it and your going to realize how much money you dumped in the car, to make it still a slow car-

its a 12 year old car- it was sorta fast then, and now its 12 years later. You could spend 5k on it (that you can never recover- like if you get into a pinch and need to unload it) and you still wont have a fast car with a warranty (like a STI or whatever)

Fast + reliable are two completely different things-

I mean, its your money, your car- so do what you want. Back in 1999 I spent every dollar I had to change every part of my crx to make it faster. And in 2002 I realized, I couldve saved money and just bought a RSX type S and had a faster car with a warranty-plus a/c, ps,leather interior etc etc etc etc. and I wouldnt have to change an engine, pay for shipping from japan, etc etc etc or bust my knuckles - do hours of work, troubleshooting -

If your deadset on modding the SI- sit on ebay and wait for a JRSC or greddy turbo kit to come along---drop 1k on it....install it...

and then come back to this thread in 18 months to let us know that you wished you didnt waste a grand on something you just sold on ebay for 450. lol.
Not a money issue and i wanted to keep it as close to stock as possible, i planned on just doing the headers, exhaust, intake and leaving it at that. Just wanted to know a little more about cams etc... hell i could have bought a 20,000 dollar car i just wanted this car. Nostalgia.

planned on working on the suspension after a few engine mods.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

understood.....
point is, I/H/E on a SI isnt going to get you any gains that you'd be able to notice, is the point. Thats the point I think everyone is getting at. You go spend 1k on top brand intake/Header/Exhaust...and your not going to get any more speed youll be able to really notice.

With the same money (say about 1k) you can score a used JRSC or cheap turbo kit and at least see some difference.

Youll notice much much more difference with a good suspension set up.

A buddy of mine says.....driving a slow car fast > driving a fast car slowly-
Old 07-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I actually never planned on doing a turbo or Super Charger but everyone fourm i've been on they keep pounding that. So i start asking questions but i never really wanted to do that.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redm3turbo
understood.....
point is, I/H/E on a SI isnt going to get you any gains that you'd be able to notice, is the point. Thats the point I think everyone is getting at. You go spend 1k on top brand intake/Header/Exhaust...and your not going to get any more speed youll be able to really notice.

With the same money (say about 1k) you can score a used JRSC or cheap turbo kit and at least see some difference.

Youll notice much much more difference with a good suspension set up.

A buddy of mine says.....driving a slow car fast > driving a fast car slowly-
Yea i'm actually more interested in suspension, camber kit, new brakes etc...
Old 07-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my suspension is nice i have god speed one peice coilovers 16 way adjustable damper pillop top hat and blackworks rear lcas megan rear lower tie bar and ebay front camber kit. im throwin my stock ones back on tho. but the set up isn't much money handles like a dream and looks badd *** from the back i have a pic in my profile. don't kno how to upload it into here tho

Quick Reply: Noob looking for engine mods.