Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

noob: how to HID EG headlights??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob: how to HID EG headlights??

I have a friend that said that if i was to get the black housing with projectors for the EG, i would still have to swap out the projectors and get OEM ones and HID bulbs and balance? i think its called that...anywhos question is that he said the HID kits they sell aftermarket ones, usually dont last long and arnt good quality so what OEM projectors and balance and wiring harnesses that will fit the black housing should i get? is the HID kits really that bad?
Old 09-15-2006, 01:54 PM

Default Re: noob: how to HID EG headlights?? (EG-tofu)

no way my homie has a rsx with projectors and he bought the aftermarket kit with like 80000 bulbs or something and they look bad been about a year now still lookin good
Old 09-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG-tofu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a friend that said that if i was to get the black housing with projectors for the EG, i would still have to swap out the projectors and get OEM ones and HID bulbs and balance? i think its called that...anywhos question is that he said the HID kits they sell aftermarket ones, usually dont last long and arnt good quality so what OEM projectors and balance and wiring harnesses that will fit the black housing should i get? is the HID kits really that bad?</TD></TR></TABLE>

there is no oem HID for 92-95 civics. everyone who has them are either aftermarket or have made them cutomized by using HID's from other cars. the aftermarket kits allow you to make HID's work with your current civic housing (some kits, and that's with ballast, bulbs, wiring, etc.). IMO, just get some PIAA's and a set of nice fog lights.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: noob: how to HID EG headlights?? (philosofy1)

ebay seller lucenthid sells good kits, with hella ballasts. $225 shipped
Old 09-16-2006, 09:57 AM

hmm, you wouldnt know which projectors from other cars would fit in my civic black housing would you? o yea i got some fog lights too n im thinkin of wanting to HID those too lolz =P
Old 09-16-2006, 10:07 AM

There are a bunch of topics on this, please search. There was a really good, lengthly write up on HID conversion about a year ago. Just please don't buy a kit and stick them in your housings, you will blind the **** out of everyone on the road. Get some OEM HID projectors and balasts from a BMW, Audi, etc, and retrofit them into your headlights (aftermarket housings work best because our stock ones are fluted).
Old 09-16-2006, 10:12 AM

Default Re: noob: how to HID EG headlights?? (polishrifle)

yea see thats why I didnt want to just stick a HID kit in my stock housing cuz i dont wanna blind anyone. i was thinkin of using the black housing with projectors and swap out the aftermarket projectors with OEM projectors. so a BMW or Audi's projectors will fit into that housing? what about a RX300 projectors and balast?
Old 09-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you know anyone with the june 2005 issue of honda tuning, they have a whole DIY on 92-95 civic HID cvonversion, using a ballast from a s2000. does anyone know if i can get in trouble for posting the pages? if not, it wouldn't hurt for me to scan them and post it.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:22 AM

if you can that would be great. I just need to know which projectors will fit and balast. so an s2000 balast would work with any OEM car that has projectors? sorry bout all these questions guys, im a noob to lights and wiring.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry for the delay, my scanner is old and slow! hope these help you.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

philosofy1 saves the day .... thanks HondaTuning
Old 09-17-2006, 09:51 AM

hey thanks alot man
Old 09-17-2006, 11:05 AM

hey also do you know which projectors they used? and also if those projectors would be an easier fit into the black housing that comes with the aftermarket projectors?
Old 09-17-2006, 11:10 AM
H-T Poker champion

OEM Honda HIDS came on the Acura TL and the S2000.. I'm sure they are an option on most new Hondas now. The S2000 had HID projectors while the TL had HID reflective housings. The S2000 HIDs are D2S bulbs while the TL HIDs are D2R bulbs (a shield is painted on the bulbs to reduce some glair caused by the HID reflective housings). If you were going to do a true HID retrofit you would want D2S HIDs because you would be putting them in true HID projectors.

HIDs have 3 parts: Blub, Igniter, Balast. If you say "balance" again I'm going to stab myself in the eye.

Your friend mentioned having to swap the projectors from EG projector head lamps because most (if not all) projector headlights for EG civics (actually EH civics, but whatever) use foglight projectors (shitty, shitty output) instead of actual HID or halogen projectors. You would need to swap in a set of HID projectors in to the EG projectors in order to get the best possible output for your lighting.

HID retrofits are not the easiest thing in the world to do, and if you do it wrong you risk blinding the expletive out of everyone else on the road. From the sound of things you are not too automotively inclined, and I wouldnt recommend trying to tackle something like an HID retrofit when you have little to no knowledge on lighting or HIDs in general. This may be something you want to pay someone to do for you. I know there are a few people on Honda-Tech who do really nice retrofits for people.

Just a little more info: HIDs came stock on a lot of BMWs and Audis as well. They also come on the later model Maximas and some Lexus cars. Actually a lot of cars come equiped with HIDs from the factory these days, so you dont have to stick with an OEM honda HID kit.

The HID kits designed for the EG headlights (H4 kit) are ****. Dont waste your money on a HID kit that is not OEM. Any "HID" kit that uses halogen bulb sizes is crap.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:17 AM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: noob: how to HID EG headlights?? (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG-tofu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey also do you know which projectors they used? and also if those projectors would be an easier fit into the black housing that comes with the aftermarket projectors?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Looks like they used projectors made by the guys at HIDPlanet.com. These projectors are decent, but not going to be as good as S2000 or Audi projectors.

And no one is gonna be able to tell you if they will "fit easier". You'll probably have to make slight modifications to the headlight housings to get them to fit, but maybe not. If you could take the current projectors out of your headlights and get the measurements for them, then you could do research and find some HID projectors that have the same measurements.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:30 AM

Default Re: noob: how to HID EG headlights?? (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

so I would still have to do some modification to the projector housing even I use the S2000 projectors?

If I just wanted to use my stock housing with the S2000 projectors, I'm guessing I still would have to do some modifications to the stock housing but I wouldnt be able to use high beam right?
Old 09-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With S2000 projectors you would only have lowbeams.

You would have to do some major mods to the stock headlight to retrofit any projector in there.

If you care to keep your hi beams, go with a Bi-Xenon projector (E55/Audi).
Old 09-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG-tofu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so I would still have to do some modification to the projector housing even I use the S2000 projectors?

If I just wanted to use my stock housing with the S2000 projectors, I'm guessing I still would have to do some modifications to the stock housing but I wouldnt be able to use high beam right? </TD></TR></TABLE>

1: goodluck finding s2000 projectors
2: goodluck meeting the asking price (300-350)
3: it seems to me you're still clueless in this entire matter, i am NO pro at this but i collected all the needed parts already and i started giving one guy some advice on the subject, go here and scroll down

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1748585

PM me if you have real questions about the basic workings and stuff, if its about the entire retrofit process, all i can give you is theory, i havent started mine yet.

edit: some bling pics of why the TSX projectors OWN....(some of the world's best, under NSX and S2000 projectors)

the setup (and how im powering it from my room )
TSX projectors, TL bulbs (notched to fit, they are D2R) Ballasts and Ignitors

the cutoff (7 feet away i guess?)

the cutoff from 100 feet away (my bedroom window to across the street, on my neighbor's wall)

THIS is what i like about the TSX projectors, the output is HUGE and the cutoff is STILL sharp from so far away
Old 09-17-2006, 12:10 PM

Default Re: noob: how to HID EG headlights?? (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

ok thanks i'll do that, I'm just tryin to find out what parts I should get in order to do this.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG-tofu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok thanks i'll do that, I'm just tryin to find out what parts I should get in order to do this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

quite honnestly, TSX projectors if you want really good lighting (im gona have a set for sale too), audi A6's if you want a budget build, any ballast/ignitor will do really, but opt for an OEM one rather then a aftermarket solution (mines are on sale on ebay too (search: TL ballast) but yeah man, just cee what kinda budget you have and cee what you can fit in there
Old 09-18-2006, 12:51 AM

Default Re: noob: how to HID EG headlights?? (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

damn tats nice! hmm thinkin of using the TL projectors now lolz just have to find someone who knows how to retrofit them now cuz after seein what has to be done to retrofit them, i think ima mess up somewhere heh. let me know how yours turn out, maybe i'll ask you to help me retrofit it heh if you want.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go to HIDPLANET.COM for more hid info, its better than hondatech cause this site is about cars/perfomance, not headlights

EURO GOLF IV projectors in TYC 92-95 EG headlights. I don't care if you like TYC's or not, didn't ask........

Old 09-18-2006, 02:08 PM

Default Re: noob: how to HID EG headlights?? (mike1114)

the pics arnt commin up.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:52 PM

I currently have retrofitted TSX Projectors on my 92 Civic Hatch... Love them!
Old 09-18-2006, 09:27 PM

Default Re: noob: how to HID EG headlights?? (fms1day)

so im guessin that we wouldnt be able to have high beams huh? if not then could u retrofit the blackhousing already with the projectors and swap TSX projectors in that way the housing already split the high and low beams?

Quick Reply: noob: how to HID EG headlights??