Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

noob honda guy looking at '95 Civic EX for HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noob honda guy looking at '95 Civic EX for HPDE

Hi, I'm brand new to this community and hondas. Figured I'd ask the experts on this one. Looking into buying a '95 Civic EX with about 170,000 miles on it. The purpose of this car is to run autocross and track days with it and eventually get the amateur racing license through NASA (honda/acura challenge). What should I look at and what are the typical trouble spots regarding the vehicle besides the obvious (timing belts and water pump). Any other things of note and advice would be much appreciated. Like I said I'm brand new to hondas from VWs so any info would be much appreciated. Especially when it comes to hitting the track. Also, what's the difference between the '95 and '96 EX engines?? Is the '96 DOHC??Thanks in advance.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Re: noob honda guy looking at '95 Civic EX for HPDE (Hoomyster)

welcome hoomyster from another recent convert (for now ) from VWs! i do not believe the '95 or '96 ex had dohc but did have vtec. I am new myself and don't have many answers at this point, but i have been supremely impressed by the quality of my '92 civic so far. Good luck with your project!
Old 01-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: noob honda guy looking at '95 Civic EX for HPDE (jamesc2123)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jamesc2123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">welcome hoomyster from another recent convert (for now ) from VWs! i do not believe the '95 or '96 ex had dohc but did have vtec. I am new myself and don't have many answers at this point, but i have been supremely impressed by the quality of my '92 civic so far. Good luck with your project!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually neither the '95 or '96 EX's came with DOHC. The 92-95 Civic Ex's came with a SOHC D16Z6. and the 96-00 model civic ex's came with a D16Y8.

As for buying the car.. 176,000 miles is alot, but not for a honda. Check to see if the owner has any routine maintenance logs and see what's been done and hasn't. If not i'd suggest starting from the 100k tuneup. (timing belt, water pump, fuel filter, plugs, plug wires, bushings, etc not all of these are with the 100k tuneup, but i'd reccomend doing all of the above)
Old 01-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hoomyster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi, I'm brand new to this community and hondas. Figured I'd ask the experts on this one. Looking into buying a '95 Civic EX with about 170,000 miles on it. The purpose of this car is to run autocross and track days with it and eventually get the amateur racing license through NASA (honda/acura challenge). What should I look at and what are the typical trouble spots regarding the vehicle besides the obvious (timing belts and water pump). Any other things of note and advice would be much appreciated. Like I said I'm brand new to hondas from VWs so any info would be much appreciated. Especially when it comes to hitting the track. Also, what's the difference between the '95 and '96 EX engines?? Is the '96 DOHC??Thanks in advance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Decent starter vehicle. The 95 EX has a SOHC VTEC engine rated at 125hp. (I believe the 96 EX is also a SOHC engine) Keep the car stock and it will do fairly well in SCCA Solo in H Stock.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:29 AM

thanks guys, all good info...so if the correct maintenance was done on the car...it should be all right...it was owned by a family sooooo...I'm assuming yes...thanks again