Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Noob advice for recently purchased Del sol?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Noob advice for recently purchased Del sol?

Hey guys, I just purchased my fair condition del sol s for an amazing price! It is an automatic with 143k on it and my first car! That being said, I am looking for any advice on what needs to be done to it most likely. I am putting a radio in it, I added power steering fluid, new oil, new-ish tires. Very novice work. Little rust, but that may be a summer project to tackle! Anything in your experience that I need to do?

The PO put an aftermarket muffler that is not properly connected to the catalytic converter . Also the air filter should be replaced. That being said, would this help my mpg? I am far from getting 40mpg...
Old 02-02-2015, 06:46 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Noob advice for recently purchased Del sol?

Realistically, you aren't going to get 40 MPG out of that car. Mid 30's should be attainable, but 40's would be pushing it.

Start off with a full tune-up. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil, and filters (oil, air, and fuel). Use OEM hardware. Yes, it's a little bit more expensive, but it's well worth it, and in the long run, cheaper. OEM hardware will get you another 10 years. Parts store stuff, maybe a year or two. Once you've done that, give your car a full once-over. Inspect the axles, bearings, mounts, bushings, ball joints, and every other piece of rubber you can imagine.

Once you've done all that, give our FAQ sticky, as well as our rules sticky a good read. Welcome to H-T

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...tions-1998336/

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...sting-3002401/
Old 02-02-2015, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist
Realistically, you aren't going to get 40 MPG out of that car. Mid 30's should be attainable, but 40's would be pushing it.

Start off with a full tune-up. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil, and filters (oil, air, and fuel). Use OEM hardware. Yes, it's a little bit more expensive, but it's well worth it, and in the long run, cheaper. OEM hardware will get you another 10 years. Parts store stuff, maybe a year or two. Once you've done that, give your car a full once-over. Inspect the axles, bearings, mounts, bushings, ball joints, and every other piece of rubber you can imagine.

Once you've done all that, give our FAQ sticky, as well as our rules sticky a good read. Welcome to H-T

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...tions-1998336/

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...sting-3002401/
Thanks! The PO seemed to do a decent job with the tune up (other than all the screws he managed to strip... I have always been a fan of stock, so what website would you recommend for parts?
Old 02-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't just start throwing parts at it. If it's getting good spark there's really no need for a tune-up. OEM (Prestolite) wires or even NGK wires for that matter are $45 to $60 online. OEM rotor and cap is $40 to $50. Maybe, start with new spark plugs NGK ZFR5F-11 $8 to $10.
If the car doesn't have prior maintenance and repair records then fluids are also a good place to start. Manual or Automatic transmission fluid should be changed. If, it's an automatic do a 3x3 drain and fill... there are several DIY threads here and elsewhere online for both ATF and manual. Possibly, a coolant (anti-freeze) change depending on records (age of fluid) and if you see discoloration (brownish = rust).

Did you have knowledgeable friend, family member or mechanic check it out before you purchased it?
Old 02-02-2015, 08:29 PM
Sol to Sol

Is it a D15 or D16? A D15 MIGHT get 40mpg. D16 does mid 30s at its best.

Plan on timing belt, tensioner and water pump along with N.A.R. said.

Also what year and model is it? Some things you might want to do depending.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How can I tell?
Old 02-03-2015, 03:45 PM
Sol to Sol

It says on the block just under the valve cover, left side of engine. (might be a B series too)

Yr/Model?

Or check your vin # in the FAQ to tell you what was stock on it at least. (everything could be changed now of course, but its a good start)

One easy way to tell if you STILL have an S model, and not and Si, is rear drum brakes. If you have that you have the base model, and an upgrade to disc brakes is a great first upgrade. Especially if you are planning on bigger engines etc.

Another one is to upgrade all 4 to Integra (Teg) suspension. Then you can have rear sway and larger front sway too.

LOTS of stuff you can do with stock parts, and lots of info on those in the FAQ.

There's also a few other things I'd do first to a new one to me, but I don't want to swamp you with information unless its relevant. So, Year and model will help us. You should also put that info (and engine) in EVERY first post when its time for a new tech related question. Helps us all help you
Old 02-03-2015, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JarvisW
It says on the block just under the valve cover, left side of engine. (might be a B series too)

Yr/Model?

Or check your vin # in the FAQ to tell you what was stock on it at least. (everything could be changed now of course, but its a good start)

One easy way to tell if you STILL have an S model, and not and Si, is rear drum brakes. If you have that you have the base model, and an upgrade to disc brakes is a great first upgrade. Especially if you are planning on bigger engines etc.

Another one is to upgrade all 4 to Integra (Teg) suspension. Then you can have rear sway and larger front sway too.

LOTS of stuff you can do with stock parts, and lots of info on those in the FAQ.

There's also a few other things I'd do first to a new one to me, but I don't want to swamp you with information unless its relevant. So, Year and model will help us. You should also put that info (and engine) in EVERY first post when its time for a new tech related question. Helps us all help you
I know it is a 1994 S model! I am sorry, I thought I put it up on my first post!
Old 02-03-2015, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought my first del sol last year but probably around car number 50.

There are probably lots of things that NEED doing and lots of things that you WANT to do.
So it's a matter of prioritizing things.

First check and fix things that can kill you or the car.
Mine top three would be
1) timing belt if you can't prove when it was changed - it can kill the engine
2) serious fluid leaks
3) brakes -can kill you
Old 02-03-2015, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

One other thought. The del sol and civic FSMs can be found through Google for 92-95
The civic is pretty much the same for mechanicals
Old 02-03-2015, 05:27 PM
Sol to Sol

Its ok. I had to check twice to be sure you didnt lol..

93-4 sols like to leak along the door seals. If they are, they sell the updated versions at the dealer (or Majestic Honda, or the like) Think they are under $160. Its not worth it to try and puff the seals up, or fix the early ones. It was a design flaw, but of course, they wouldn't go so far as to recall them all.

Or get one from a junk yard (if its pliable and not cracked)from some 95s or all 96-7s. it removes with a couple screws, and has a lil weatherstrip adhesive. so go slow and dont tear it..

I'd also look into upgrading the brakes when its time to change them. Might as well not throw money on new brake shoes when you can get discs all around.

Read the FAQs, most of the Civic stuff applies, only a few things are proprietary like the seals and interior.

Good luck!

EDIT: and I agree with his short list above. If you have no idea on the timing belts age, replace it, the tensioner, water pump and thermostat, STAT, lol. Then brakes.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:01 PM
Sol to Sol

Oh and the FSM = Helms Factory Service Manual.

I was lucky and got one specifically for Sols on Craigslist for $40, but you may have to pay up to $100. It is a GREAT manual. I've worked on my dads Sol for almost 20 years, and had my own for 6, but only past 2-3 have I had the Helms, and its AMAZING what Haynes and Chilton don't know, or have bad info on. Like some Torque specs etc..