Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

No VTEC engagement

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No VTEC engagement

Hey whats up guys, I was wondering if anybody could give me possible reasons for no vtec engagement. What I've done so far is bled my oil feed line to my oil pressure switch, bled the oil pressure switch, bled the vtec solenoid and also hooked up a light to my vtec wire. It says that it's hitting at 6600 rpm's on a lift but doesn't hit when I'm on the ground and it's so weak you cant even tell. The motor is an ls/vtec setup, I had it installed into a 95 ex coupe and everything went great with it. Then I was involved into an accident that totalled that car, now it's in a 92 cx, everything is pinned and such so that's not the problem. I'm just wondering if anybody has some positive input for me to try. I've swapped ecu's thinking it might be the chip but still.....no vtec!!! Somebody help please. Thanks.

Also there are no cels running. Although it does throw a cel when I'm at 6500 + in 3-4th gear because the ecu is sending the fuel needed for the secondary cam but it's not engaging. Maybe something internal? I'm going to be pulling the valve cover next week to investigate further.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gotta love lsv... sorry i dont have any positive input, bbut this is why i would never go ls/vtec becouse of all the problems and storys ive heard
Old 05-24-2006, 02:50 PM

Default Re: (xJDMCx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xJDMCx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">gotta love lsv... sorry i dont have any positive input, bbut this is why i would never go ls/vtec becouse of all the problems and storys ive heard</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well it was kick *** in my ex coupe, I had never expierienced DOHC VTEC and this was just insane!!! And then a GMC Savanna doing 65mph T-Boned me and now everything is just fucked!!! My tranny blew like 300 miles after I swapped it into my new hatch and the hatch is having issues with alot of little ****. I'm tempted just to sell the ls/vtec and get a d15b and boost the hell of it or something. I'm just sick of banging my head off the valve cover trying to get this **** to hit!
Old 05-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

life without vtec sucks.. bump for you!
Old 05-24-2006, 03:54 PM

Default Re: (ballerchild)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ballerchild &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">life without vtec sucks.. bump for you!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks man, for real dude. This **** sucks!!! And with gas being 3.41 a gallon for super and just dumping it out of my exhaust really doesn't make it much better either!!
Old 05-24-2006, 04:00 PM

whats the code at 6500? Sure it isnt 22?
Old 05-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (one bad dx)

Their is a never ending selection of threads on vtec malfunctions.

make sure your oil pan isn"t dented severly
cause low oil pressure
Old 05-24-2006, 04:26 PM

Default Re: (Slamaccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slamaccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Their is a never ending selection of threads on vtec malfunctions.

make sure your oil pan isn"t dented severly
cause low oil pressure</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is no external damage to any of the componets. I know there are thousands of threads with this topic but I'd like to think that mine is special, haha.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:29 PM

Default Re: (D16Z6TURBO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16Z6TURBO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats the code at 6500? Sure it isnt 22?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It was the for the oil pressure switch, since then I've changed the switch. I'm going to run it again and then check it to see whats up now. But I know it's not going to be as easy as a code problem.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:39 PM

Default Re: (xJDMCx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xJDMCx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">gotta love lsv... sorry i dont have any positive input, bbut this is why i would never go ls/vtec becouse of all the problems and storys ive heard</TD></TR></TABLE>
^^ this was absolutely useless input, nobody cares about "what you heard", too many people talk about the LS/Vtec like its the ******* anti-christ, just ask somebody that's had one and you'd realize it really isn't all that difficult and many don't have that many problems...

bump for you finding your answers, its pretty unusual that your vtec isnt engaging and you don't have a CEL... i would investigate that light you have first of all connected to the vtec wire, however... good luck and keep us posted
Old 05-24-2006, 04:44 PM

Default Re: (thahuhstunna)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thahuhstunna &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
^^ this was absolutely useless input, nobody cares about "what you heard", too many people talk about the LS/Vtec like its the ******* anti-christ, just ask somebody that's had one and you'd realize it really isn't all that difficult and many don't have that many problems...

bump for you finding your answers, its pretty unusual that your vtec isnt engaging and you don't have a CEL... i would investigate that light you have first of all connected to the vtec wire, however... good luck and keep us posted</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for keeping it positive. The ls/vtec is very under rated that's for sure, with minimal tunning and mods I've stomped modded gsr's and also a type r. They make more torque due to more displacement and if there built right there no different than anyother honda motor. I'm gonna try and crack this bitch early next week and see whats up. If I crack into the valve train and find a broken rocker I'm gonna be pissed!!!
Old 05-24-2006, 05:37 PM

Bump for some tech support or something, lol.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:01 PM

Bump
Old 05-24-2006, 09:10 PM

i had the same problem with my civic i took off the valve cover and it was a bolt that had came from some were and was blocking the oil pressure hole for the vtec solinoid
Old 05-24-2006, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cashshoes)

if its making noise at the change over and isnt really making the power, you need to check the wire that goes to the thermo. make sure you didnt just ground it out (under a screw or what ever on the block) good luck
Old 05-25-2006, 04:43 AM

Default Re: (nekoabandoned)

Thanks for the input guys, I'm going to check the thermo ground right now and also as I said earlier the valve train as well. I'll keep you's posted.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:22 AM

ls v is a pain. my buddy had the same problem when he swapped heads and it took days to get it to run right. cuz of that i will never do ls v.
good luck.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:40 AM

Default Re: (sTEAMD_rICE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sTEAMD_rICE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ls v is a pain. my buddy had the same problem when he swapped heads and it took days to get it to run right. cuz of that i will never do ls v.
good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I never had any problems prior to the accident. Now it seems that aside from loosing my beloved coupe I've lost VTEC!!! This has been an ongoing problem for a couple of weeks now. I've been trying everything I can think of and still no hope's. I checked the grounds and everyone is secured. I have like uber grounds on my car so I dont assume that's the problem. But thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:04 PM

keep after that press switch issue Im thinking your on the right track. There is a way to bypass it but probably better to address the real issue first LOL
Old 05-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

imma have to say that the solenoid is bad and is not allowing oil to flow through the head when vtec engages. maybe it was working before and then it just took a ****
Old 05-25-2006, 04:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16Z6TURBO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">keep after that press switch issue Im thinking your on the right track. There is a way to bypass it but probably better to address the real issue first LOL</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm going to remove all the oil lines early next week before I remove the valve cover and blow them out with a 150psi air hose to see it there might be something lodged in there.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:33 PM

Default Re: (fmrprojects)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">imma have to say that the solenoid is bad and is not allowing oil to flow through the head when vtec engages. maybe it was working before and then it just took a ****</TD></TR></TABLE>

That could vary well be, I'm gonna see if I can locate another one and see if that works but I did hook up a volt meter to it to see if it was "popping" and it lit up the stick, IDK? It's getting old quick, I washed my car today because it was like 75 out and thats hot for here (upstate, ny) and there was soo much black carbon build up on my rear bumper it was insane!! Damn unspent gasses!!!
Old 05-25-2006, 08:47 PM

Bump
Old 05-25-2006, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hrmm so on lift it works and then on the ground it dont..weird..when i got my lsv in vtec was weak...theni jus fix oil line and get rid of shitty fram l oil filter...then my vtec was workin better then ever....but thats my car.....and for the people that hate on LSv...lick sack! ahah..
Old 05-26-2006, 05:36 AM

Default Re: (jdmjaser)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmjaser &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hrmm so on lift it works and then on the ground it dont..weird..when i got my lsv in vtec was weak...theni jus fix oil line and get rid of shitty fram l oil filter...then my vtec was workin better then ever....but thats my car.....and for the people that hate on LSv...lick sack! ahah..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well my buddy/mechanic said that when it was on the lift the light would flash at 6600 but when it engaged before the accident there was no question. It just popped and you were off like a prom dress so there's deffinetly something wrong in there somewhere. I'll do an oil change while I'm out at the shop as well and see if that helps too. Thanks for the input guys.

Quick Reply: No VTEC engagement