Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

No Vtec crack?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Vtec crack?

I have a 99 civic si w a jdm obd2 b16, whale ***** intake, header and a full exhaust but get no benefit from vtec what so ever? not even a loud noise @ 5500? any ideas
Old 05-16-2010, 04:32 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: No Vtec crack?

Are you saying that it isn't working at all? OR are you saying that it doesn't SOUND like it's working the way you want?
Old 05-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it works but not how its supposed to. no real "vtec feel" or sound. I have a quiet exhaust but still feel it's not working properly. I just read a thread here talking about a vtec oil switch bypass people are doing on jdm motors with us ecus? could be worth a try
Old 05-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fakerims
it works but not how its supposed to. no real "vtec feel" or sound.
holy jumpin *uckin caramel covered squirrel **** batman. you have to be kidding me right?

if vtec is working properly it should be a smooth transition and virtually unnoticeable. the oil switch bypass you're reading about has to do with the jdm motors lacking oil switches, so they have to bypass them or the us ecu will throw a code. it has nothing to do with making vtec louder.

stop trying to break your perfectly functioning vehicle

and seriously, everytime somebody refers to vtec crak'n, poppin', etc, it makes me want to spear an infant with a javelin. please stop that $hit. /end rant
Old 05-16-2010, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
holy jumpin *uckin caramel covered squirrel **** batman. you have to be kidding me right?

if vtec is working properly it should be a smooth transition and virtually unnoticeable. the oil switch bypass you're reading about has to do with the jdm motors lacking oil switches, so they have to bypass them or the us ecu will throw a code. it has nothing to do with making vtec louder.

and seriously, everytime somebody refers to vtec crak'n, poppin', etc, it makes me want to spear an infant with a javelin. please stop that $hit. /end rant
this about sums it up.... if your jerking when vtec kicks in thats not a good thing
Old 05-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

lol "vtec feel"
Old 05-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man I just got back from crackin off some VTEC y0! I seriously thought that he was about to say he read something about VTEC fluid back there, lol.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

holy **** this made my whole weekend!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There really isn't any pop, crack or boom when vtec engages. It should be a smooth transition.

Several things you might want to do first.

1. check oil level
2. check oil pressure
3. check the vtec solenoid screen/filter for clogs

I hope this helps...
Old 05-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

god damn this made my weekend too... this is the reason why us tru honda/acura enthusiast have such bad reps because of people like this... in really infuriates me
Old 05-16-2010, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a D15B jdm vtec with a P08 ecu and there's a huge sound difference when vtec kicks in and you can feel the power....even though its just a little 1.5L sohc....shouldn't it be the same for this guy?

Last edited by fryman; 05-17-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ah, another my vtec snap crackels and pops. "spear an infant with a javelin" HA!
Old 05-17-2010, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tico
god damn this made my weekend too... this is the reason why us tru honda/acura enthusiast have such bad reps because of people like this... in really infuriates me
Same here, this is the reason I get *the look* when I say I drive a civic - douchy toolbags like this, right here.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know what's going on, I always here the transition with my D16Y7. Did you take the vtec decals off your car? That could do it..
Old 05-17-2010, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D Griff
I don't know what's going on, I always here the transition with my D16Y7. Did you take the vtec decals off your car? That could do it..
D16Y7's dont have VTEC?

@OP You should be able to hear VTEC (unless ofc you dont know what it sounds like). But there shouldnt be any "feel" or "crack". You should be able to feel when its not working though, because the powerband will fall off around 6k. And it will feel slower, otherwise its working.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think hes joking
Old 05-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

people other than myself have driven the car and said they feel it's not working properly. i'm not expecting vtec to feel like a jump to light speed but it doesn't seem to be working, thats all.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Master Detailer

maybe your just used to it??
My friends vtec is loud as hell but its smooth, you can however feel a difference. stupid gutless b16's
Old 05-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Stage 3 CLINGER!

ur vtec iz broken.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q24D0xv49d4

I don't see that pin *Crackin* If it does, your screwed
Old 05-18-2010, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OP,
Try disconnecting the VTEC solenoid and do a 0-60 run in the first 2 gears. Then connect it again and try again. Feel the difference? If not, it's broken. If you do, it's working. I couldn't hear VTEC at all in my GSR and was convinced it wasn't working...until I did this test.

If you're still not sure, download Dynolicious on an iPhone or iPod touch. With it running and the phone securely mounted in the car, try the 1/4 mile test (though you don't need to go all the way to the quarter. That will tell you for sure.

fm
Old 05-18-2010, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cracks me up how someone can ask a question in the tech forum and get flamed. Try what b1u3_5i said or try disconnecting it and see if theres a difference. There is a starting point.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Master Detailer

why? he already said it works.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LMAO
Old 05-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
why? he already said it works.
Originally Posted by fakerims
I have a 99 civic si w a jdm obd2 b16, whale ***** intake, header and a full exhaust but get no benefit from vtec what so ever? not even a loud noise @ 5500? any ideas
He said he gets no benifit from vtec what so ever. So it sounds like HE THINKS it may not be working. So there are suggestions to check it. He may have rode in someones car whos vtec pulls a little harder, or is a bit louder than his. So it was just to answer his question.

Quick Reply: No Vtec crack?