Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

No Spark WTH! replaced a damaged part and it made the problem worse!! Im confused

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Spark WTH! replaced a damaged part and it made the problem worse!! Im confused

I am at whits end already and pulling my hair out. I have an OBD1 GSR in a 96 civic coupe. I had been having Issues with the car dying out and not being able to start back up. we finally narrowed it down to the CKPS. Another friend gave me a spare distributor, the car fired right up and gave me no problems for about a week. I decided to take the car to the local track to see how fast the car would run. First pass out the car ran a 15.6 with a idle start. On the second pass I staged, rev'd the engine up was hitting the 5k rpm rev limiter as soon as I launched the car died. I tried restarting it and it would crank but not start. we pushed it off the line, A friend came over and troubleshot the car with me, he told me its likely my fuel pump went out. so we towed the car home and replaced the fuel pump with a walbro 255. We tried to start the engine and were unsuccessful. we verified that the new fuel pump was working and that we were getting spark. Both appeared to be good. we finally were able to get the car to start but it sounded as if it was only firing on one to two cylinders. I verified that the timing belt was still in good condition. and verified the timing was still correct. We swapped out the chipped ECU that we were using with a virgin P28. the car started and would idle but as soon as you pressed the gas the engine would die. I noticed the ECU was throwing code 4. We noted that we were still getting spark at this point. I removed the distributor and started to take it apart to replace the CKPS, while taking it apart I found that the gears on the INSIDE of the distributor had been shaved and damaged. (I have attached pics of the damage). Because of this I decided to purchase a used distributor from Steve at HmotorsOnline. The distributor got here and Installed it right away. Attempted to start the car and all of a sudden no spark. I figured ok thats odd but it is a used distributor so maybe things went bad.. so i took parts from the old distributor that I know produced spark (coil, and igniter) and swapped them into the distributor from Hmotors. still no spark. i have tried every troubleshooting guide i could find. I dont know why i would have spark with a damaged distributor but not with a distributor with the old verified working components installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I dont need flamers and haters, i need help and answers. I know that im getting Fuel. I know I am NOT getting spark. I have replaced the Coil and Igniter with KNOWN good parts. Any suggestions?

I have verified that the ECU is working properly (tried 3 different ECUs a Chipped p72, a stock p28 and a Stock automatic P72 all 3 ECUs allow other vehicles to run)
I have verified that the Main Fuel Relay is working properly (Clicks when the key comes on and when the fuel pump shuts off)
I have replaced the coil and igniter with known working replacements.
I have verified I am getting NO spark to any plug, plug wire.
I have verified that I am NOT getting any spark from the Coil
I have verified that I am getting voltage and continuity readings at the coil and igniter. I have replaced the Coil with 4 different coils, all of them to be known as working just fine before putting them into this distributor housing.
Attached Images     

Last edited by StreetDreamS808; 10-05-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: No Spark WTH! replaced a damaged part and it made the problem worse!! Im confused

can you take a picture of the wiring to the ignitor and coil, so we can see if you have the wires in the correct spot? was a guy here like a month ago with same problem, had wires in wrong spot.
Old 10-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: No Spark WTH! replaced a damaged part and it made the problem worse!! Im confused

Originally Posted by Norlael
can you take a picture of the wiring to the ignitor and coil, so we can see if you have the wires in the correct spot? was a guy here like a month ago with same problem, had wires in wrong spot.
Sure can, I will as soon as I get home and upload.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pictures as requested..
Attached Images       
Old 10-06-2014, 01:10 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

what are the specs when you tested the igniter and icm? Did you plug the spark plug wires in the correct order when you swapped the distributor multiple times? Did you check fuses? Did you swap ecu?
Old 10-06-2014, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
what are the specs when you tested the igniter and icm? Did you plug the spark plug wires in the correct order when you swapped the distributor multiple times? Did you check fuses? Did you swap ecu?
Yes the spark plug wires are in the correct order on the distributor. I checked the ecu and ign fuses and verified continuity on both ends not just visual inspection. I also swapped between 3 different ECUs all three will start other cars up and run them. When I test the signal from the ignitor to the coil I get the 12v till I attempt to start it.. then it drops to 0. During cranking I get 0.5 between the + and - on the coil itself.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I tested all the coils and two came back completely out of spec and the other two seem to be on the way out.. finally was able to get the car to start and idle, however it cannot handle a driving load without spitting and popping like crazy!. it seems to have a lack of power in motion but can rev without load no problem. No CEL and the idle seems just a little hesitant. Im gonna be doing a full tune up hopefully soon (plugs, wires, cap rotor and maybe a coil) Keep you all updated.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:50 PM
Fish Twig

Why add the blurry pictures??? Doesn't help much.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Why add the blurry pictures??? Doesn't help much.
Maybe for the same reason you chose to waste your time typing a useless response. As I stated earlier I need help and answers not some bullshit responses. Believe me reaching out to an online forum was one of my last resorts thanks to people like you. At this point blurry or not maybe someone would see something out of place and I could always retake the picture if they needed me to. It's pretty obvious even though it's blurry that the wires are connected correctly. So it's not a total loss or waste of memory. However Thank you for pointing out my lack of perfection and clarity in my photography skills. I'll make sure to only post completely crystal clear images from now on out.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Huh, this guy isn't more than 13 miles from me....

I've cracked open my backup Dist....yes, your wiring is correct. I would check the actual connectors for the distributor pigtails, look for oil, breakage, burn...etc. And even tho it seems too simple, also check the spring on the coil tower, the condition of the spring loaded button in the cap, the condition of the wires AT the various internal sensors in the distributor...and also..make sure you have the correct model distributor...sometimes things get mixed up and you'll receive the wrong part and just throw it on assuming its correct. I'm not saying these things as a condescending smart-***...it's just some of the stuff I'd check for my own sake as well. Good luck.

Checkin' in from Mountain View.

EDIT: saw your post written while composing mine. Of course ignore checking the parts you will change. But another thought, you should check all your grounds. Dirty Injectors, low fuel pressure could also be indirect problems.

Last edited by MisereNoire; 10-13-2014 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Last post
Old 10-13-2014, 06:36 AM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by StreetDreamS808
Maybe for the same reason you chose to waste your time typing a useless response. As I stated earlier I need help and answers not some bullshit responses. Believe me reaching out to an online forum was one of my last resorts thanks to people like you. At this point blurry or not maybe someone would see something out of place and I could always retake the picture if they needed me to. It's pretty obvious even though it's blurry that the wires are connected correctly. So it's not a total loss or waste of memory. However Thank you for pointing out my lack of perfection and clarity in my photography skills. I'll make sure to only post completely crystal clear images from now on out.
Worthless response to worthless effort to provide information on your testing.

Simply put, instead of constantly swapping parts and tossing more anomally to your problems start pulling out a multmeter and test wires, check continuity, and read the FAQ section on how to check your distributor.

Sititng here waiting for an EXACT answer? You're wasting more time than I am bud.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:34 AM
Fish Twig

What engine harness are you using for this particular swap? Why is the rev limiter set at 5k? Also what spark plug wires are you using? If you're going to be rev happy at 5k just to launch off the line you better damn well make sure those spark plug wires aren't loose or else you stress out the coil. Also are your spark plugs gapped correctly? Check the helms to ohm out the spark plug wires and check proper gap on plugs..simple **** right there
Old 10-13-2014, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetDreamS808
Believe me reaching out to an online forum was one of my last resorts thanks to people like you.
Time to move on.