Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

nitrous in a single vtec???

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrous in a single vtec???

I have a 96 ex coupe with a 98 soch vtec in it. I read in Honda Tuning about using ZC pistons for higher compression. What do you guys suggest about using nitrous? is that compression safe or should i retard the spark to avoid detonation?
Old 06-04-2007, 06:53 AM

You should always retard spark when running excessive amounts of nitrous. The problem is that detonation is never a good thing, but detonation on nitrous is the end of your day unless you luck out. I'd say go with a good forged nitrous piston, that way you don't melt your pistons.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:27 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (civicslayrx)

Sounds like a lot of work for 30whp.

Not to mention the risk.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: nitrous in a single vtec??? (mach0)

Just spray a 50 dry shot with the stock pistons and call it a day.

The PM7s will push your compression over 12:1 and that's hard enough to tune w/o nitrous.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

YEA I WAS NOT SURE, BUT THANKS
Old 06-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally I would spray a wet shot. Keep it at a reasonable level of 200 whp total or less with a healthy tune and a good timing retard activated by the nitrous (Either using crome pro or Hondata) and have at it. No reason not to.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (Jay_Sensing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jay_Sensing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Personally I would spray a wet shot. Keep it at a reasonable level of 200 whp total or less with a healthy tune and a good timing retard activated by the nitrous (Either using crome pro or Hondata) and have at it. No reason not to. </TD></TR></TABLE>

How are you going to get 200whp out of a sohc D without doing a full internal build?
Old 06-04-2007, 09:13 AM

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

200 shot .... but it would blow.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sure it could be achieved in a fairly safe manner using a multi stage setup, and decent tuning.

I recommend dry kits to everybody just getting started with nitrous. When the solenoid fails, all you do is run rich.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:22 AM

Default Re: (93sihatchy)

Could someone explain to me or direct me to a write up about nitrous kinda quik summary. Like about retarding timing and why and also how theyres different hp addnig shots ect?
Old 06-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How are you going to get 200whp out of a sohc D without doing a full internal build?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you would bother to completely read the post, you would see where I put TOTAL meaning engine output withe the spray. There are plenty of turbo D's making that rock stock, boost and nitrous don't break parts, shitty tuning and exceeding the engines ability to make power do.

Nitrous delivers power a little more violently than a turbo as the cylinder pressure increase is instant where as the turbo increases pressure gradually. You could make more that that safely but it would require multiple stages or a progressive controller.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93sihatchy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93sihatchy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">200 shot .... but it would blow. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for your killer contribution to the thread and showing me that my taxes are well spent on education
Old 06-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (Jay_Sensing)

Statement retracted. But $400-$500 he's still got a mid 15's car.

Whatever floats his boat though, I was just contributing my nickle.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:35 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PM the user oc_civic and ask him about his setup. He has been running a 75 shot on a stock Y7 for about three years.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Re: (Eran)

man this forumn is stupid when it comes to nitrous, a 50 shot isnt much, a 75 shot isnt much,

as long as you run 91 or higher octane and adjust your timing acccordingly you shouldnt have a problem with a 125 wet kit, no its not a 30 horsepower gain ek forever, that proves righh there youve never modded your car.

so in short, deck the nitrous system out, remote bottle openers are a plus, purge solenoid helps (dont be a ricer and purge all your nitrous its meant to remove gasoues nitrous for liquid nitrous)

you get the power from the n20 liquid seprating into gas thus cooling the combustion chamber

so it makes no sense to shove gasoues nitrous and fuel into your car

Old 06-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Statement retracted. But $400-$500 he's still got a mid 15's car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mista Bone was DEEEEEP into the 13's (~13.01) with a 65 shot on a Z6. Change the tranny, loose some weight and go for broke.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:44 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (Team RS2)

^^ before you start calling names, i never said a 130 shot was 30hp.

I said a "50" shot ends up being about 30 once it gets to the wheels. Which is a typical n2o charge.

Running a nitrous shot that's rated at more than twice again the motors output is very difficult and requires a lot of money.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Team RS2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you get the power from the n20 liquid seprating into gas thus cooling the combustion chamber
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please, tell me again how little I know. It's not that it cools the mixture, it's that it oxidates the fuel mixture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide
Old 06-04-2007, 12:47 PM

what you linked a wikipedia article, awesome you know so much about nitrous, ps you should know they have a gas mixed into automotive grade so that you cant huff it, sulfur

have you ever even used nitrous?

**** i bet you couldnt even set a kit up
Old 06-04-2007, 12:48 PM

here is a better article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous
Old 06-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Now your argument is irrelevant and babble.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:51 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Team RS2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you get the power from the n20 liquid seprating into gas thus cooling the combustion chamber </TD></TR></TABLE>

Automotive nitrous injectoion actually works by displacing the nitrogen and combusting off the oxygen .... in the same way that a gasoline engine works by igniting fuel, combusting oxygen and hydrogen, and displacing other atmospheric gases.

Oxygen + Fuel = Power

Oxygen + Fuel + More Oxygen = More Power

I loved chemistry.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wikipedia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nitrous oxide is stored as a liquid in tanks, but because of its low boiling point it will vaporize when it enters a cylinder during the intake stroke. As it boils, the cylinder temperature will drop, reducing the pressure during the compression stroke and thus reducing power loss. This drop in intake manifold temperature also increases the density of the air/fuel charge, thereby increasing the cylinder's volumetric efficiency.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now your argument is irrelevant and babble. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you're an idiot dude serious, when you get up and start doing things to cars ill listen to you but you arent very nowledgable and you play it off like you are
Old 06-04-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Automotive nitrous injectoion actually works by displacing the nitrogen and combusting off the oxygen .... in the same way that a gasoline engine works by igniting fuel, combusting oxygen and hydrogen, and displacing other atmospheric gases.

Oxygen + Fuel = Power

Oxygen + Fuel + More Oxygen = More Power

I loved chemistry.</TD></TR></TABLE>

re read the article again, nitrous is preffered becuase of its temeputire drop (well thats what we mainly use it for anywyas, technically you are half right along with cooling of the engine both increase horsepower
Old 06-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: nitrous in a single vtec??? (mach0)

Im gonna say dont even bother using nitrous. Cause once you run out your call will be ***** slow again. Save a little bit more and do backyard boost and tune it. I know a dude whos been running a Z6 for 3 years like that and hasnt had any real issues. I knew another guy running 45shot and he went through 2 engines in a summer. The choice is yours.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Ek Forever y0!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Team RS2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
re read the article again, nitrous is preffered becuase of its temeputire drop (well thats what we mainly use it for anywyas, technically you are half right along with cooling of the engine both increase horsepower </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agreed with you on the cooling part. But that's not entirely what creates power.

We're arguing when we both know how it works. You just decided to try and convince the world I know nothing and your basis is because I've never modded my car.

Some of the most knowledgeable people on this forum drive stock cars.

Quick Reply: nitrous in a single vtec???