Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

is nitrous legal in Indiana? .....long post

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is nitrous legal in Indiana? .....long post

So I was leaving town headed home, the roads around here are pretty much perfectly strait and see a cop come up really fast behind me. I didn't think too much about it because I dont normally speed in my civic, so i just keep going 55mph. Next thing i know the Red and blue's come on and i'm shocked that i'm getting pulled over. Then the convo went like this

me: Is there a problem?

cop: well, I was following you and you kept swirving over the median. Have you had anything to drink tonight? (right now i'm thinking it's 9p.m. on a monday night but w/e)

me: No sir...I'm just on my way home from school.

the cop then shines his light out of my eyes and towards my swichtes to the left of the steering wheel.

cop: Do you run nitrous in this thing? (at this point i was afriad of what was going to happen next)

me: Yea but my bottle is empty and all the lines are unhooked.

cop: Oh well thats cool, I run a 50 shot on my bike. And it wouldn't matter if it was ready to go right now.

he then starts asking me if i've taken it up to the local drag strip yet and lets me go with a "you be careful now"...at this point I'm asking myself all sorts of ?'s namely "did i just meet the coolest cop in the world or is it really legal?"

I dont know how to check if it is because we don't have any type of smog restrictions here unlike many other places

i rarely use it and when i do it's at the track only. i'm really curious on if it's legal or not so i can stop scracthing my bottle taking it in and out of the car and bending my brackets that hold it. Any help you guys could give me is appreciated. Thanks

heres a pic of my car:

Old 01-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: is nitrous legal in Indiana? .....long post (Xtream_V)

Not sure, but I know in Illinois as long as the bottle is not hooked up at the bottle you are fine.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive always thought that it was a "legal offroad" type thing. so if you had it installed, it could only be used at the track...in other words its only legal for the track, so if you get caught using it on the street your fukced.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (alacard)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive always thought that it was a "legal offroad" type thing. so if you had it installed, it could only be used at the track...in other words its only legal for the track, so if you get caught using it on the street your fukced.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not the case, some states, having it hooked up is more then enough to get you in trouble.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no idea about it being legal anywhere but its good he wasn't a dick haha...
Old 01-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bmoua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no idea about it being legal anywhere but its good he wasn't a dick haha...</TD></TR></TABLE>
yea...thats what i said too

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not the case, some states, having it hooked up is more then enough to get you in trouble.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I used to live in GA and thats the way it was down there thats why I dont have any idea about Indiana's rules
Old 01-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey bro what kind of stearin wheel is that and i was wondering how much you paid for it
Old 01-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not really sure how it works in my state also but my old hatch used to be stripped and a nitrous bottle on the back and cops always used to tell me if the bottle is closed ur fine if we catch u and the bottle is open ur fucked don't know if is the law or not
Old 01-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is nitrous legal in Indiana? .....long post (slayerfromhell212)

do you guys think it'd be a good idea to ask a cop from a different county while in a different car?

Modified by Xtream_V at 12:05 AM 1/9/2007
Old 01-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in california, its illegal no matter what.....if you have a empty bottle...not even hook up with a line going to your engine.......you'll get a ticket for it......
Old 01-08-2007, 11:19 PM

CA suck ball.. i rather live in my **** hole then live over there
Old 01-08-2007, 11:28 PM

Default Re: (gezzuzz)

op: have you looked online? thats what i did before i bought my radar detector. i found kentucky's laws online.

yea CA sucks, cost of living, smog, cops. in Kentucky we dont have smog tests, you could buy a "mansion" here for what a shotgun house in L.A. costs, and the cops dont pull you over just cuz you have an exhaust.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ridin98civic)

yea i've looked online but other than google i have no idea where to go.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gezzuzz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">CA suck ball.. i rather live in my **** hole then live over there</TD></TR></TABLE>
x's2
Old 01-08-2007, 11:39 PM

Default Re: (Xtream_V)

SECTION 1. IC 35-46-6-3 IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2001]: Sec. 3. A person who:
(1) knowingly or intentionally uses or distributes nitrous oxide with intent to cause a condition of intoxication, euphoria, excitement, exhilaration, stupefaction, or dulling of the senses of another person; or
(2) knowingly or intentionally distributes nitrous oxide to an individual who is less than eighteen (18) years of age;
unless the nitrous oxide is to be used for medical purposes, food preparation or packaging, agricultural or industrial purposes, motor vehicle engine enhancement, or use in scuba diving commits a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the person has a prior unrelated conviction under this section.

dont know if that means its legal or not but its a start

go herehttp://www.ai.org/legislative/ use keyword search
Old 01-08-2007, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ridin98civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
yea CA sucks, cost of living, smog, cops. in Kentucky we dont have smog tests, you could buy a "mansion" here for what a shotgun house in L.A. costs, and the cops dont pull you over just cuz you have an exhaust.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, what sucks is after all that...you're still in Kentucky...lol!

I gotta rep my state here

You think there might be a reason CA has a higher cost of living?

psst...ill give ya a hint...its not cuz it "sucks"

lol!

--Jake
Old 01-08-2007, 11:45 PM

Default Re: (soccerwuedo5)

no what sucks is all you ignorant people that think kentucky is some shithole
Old 01-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ridin98civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no what sucks is all you ignorant people that think kentucky is some shithole</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea...kentucky isn't that bad...all i know is that there's a lot less rice in kentucky than California

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ridin98civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SECTION 1. IC 35-46-6-3 IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2001]: Sec. 3. A person who:
(1) knowingly or intentionally uses or distributes nitrous oxide with intent to cause a condition of intoxication, euphoria, excitement, exhilaration, stupefaction, or dulling of the senses of another person; or
(2) knowingly or intentionally distributes nitrous oxide to an individual who is less than eighteen (18) years of age;
unless the nitrous oxide is to be used for medical purposes, food preparation or packaging, agricultural or industrial purposes, motor vehicle engine enhancement, or use in scuba diving commits a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the person has a prior unrelated conviction under this section.

go herehttp://www.ai.org/legislative/ use keyword search</TD></TR></TABLE>

does that mean it's legal?
Old 01-09-2007, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ridin98civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no what sucks is all you ignorant people that think kentucky is some shithole</TD></TR></TABLE>

All im sayin is that there is a REASON a civic costs less than, say, a bmw

...a REASON McDonald's costs less than, say, red lobster

...and a REASON houses in CA are more expensive than houses in KY

--Jake
Old 01-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

then why arent people moving out of Cali and going to KY? hehe.

back to the post...
I always thought that as long as it isnt hooked up, then you're cool. I doubt its illegal to posses a nitrous bottle.
Then again, it all matters with each state...

Old 01-09-2007, 12:20 AM

Default Re: (soccerwuedo5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by soccerwuedo5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

All im sayin is that there is a REASON a civic costs less than, say, a bmw

...a REASON McDonald's costs less than, say, red lobster

...and a REASON houses in CA are more expensive than houses in KY

--Jake</TD></TR></TABLE>

the "reason" has everything to do with place and not quality. You could find two identical houses in Kentucky and Cali, and the Cali house would cost an assload more.

I am sure Cali is a nice place to live, but some people just dont see whats so great about it. I dont see anything worth moving there for. Just my 2 cents. I get the same reaction from people cause I live in OK
Old 01-09-2007, 12:36 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ridin98civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SECTION 1. IC 35-46-6-3 IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2001]: Sec. 3. A person who:

go herehttp://www.ai.org/legislative/ use keyword search</TD></TR></TABLE>

It doesn't state the use of it for motor vehicle purposes. The second portion of the legislation only states that distribution for purposes of medical, automotive etc are legal. But distribution to a minor for other reasons "IE getting high" are class B misdemeanors.

Just ask the highway patrol.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:16 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (MyEG6)

do what i do put a blakent over the bottle and lock the trunk and back seats
Old 01-09-2007, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spork motorsports)

thats just hiding it and if i were to do that i'd rather romove my spare tire and stick it underneath the cover that's in my hacth that way it's hidden from everyone. but i want to know if it's legal not ways to hide the bottle. because if i get pulled over they are still going to see my swicthes no matter what i do to the bottle. thanks for you input though
Old 01-09-2007, 04:42 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (Xtream_V)

maybe switches inside the flip down coin tray????? also tap the lines underneth the intake not coming up and into it??????????

ya i really dont know about legality in cali your screwed for even driving a ******* car

friend got busted for having a pocket knife under a blakent in a crx (concement of weapons or some **** like that)

i got arrested and detained for exhibition of speed in my moms minivan ford aerostar

cali oklahoma
Old 01-09-2007, 05:25 AM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: (spork motorsports)

I find it interesting that nitrous could be illegal period. Nitrous is simply a power adder by allowing more fuel to be burned in a cylinder, therefore making more power. Turbo's and superchargers do the same thing mechanically, nitrous does it chemically. All three things do exactly the same thing and yet one of them is considered illegal? Hell you could argue that installing cams or a header etc should be illegal since they all aid in allowing more fuel to be burned and enhancing power.

Abusing nitrous and using it to get high is another story...but how is that any different than buying gas for your car and then sniffing the fumes from the tank and getting high? I mean really...where is the logic behind laws like that?

Quick Reply: is nitrous legal in Indiana? .....long post