Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

NEWB here with a couple of questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEWB here with a couple of questions...

Hi guys, just joined this forum and so far so good...I likes. Not alot of ricers LOL.

I'm looking around for a 92-95 white, black, grey, yellow, or red Honda Civic Hatch Back for daily driving while I save up for a 99-00 FRC 'Vette for weekend toy. I love the styling on these cars, and heard that they're very good on gas and reliability. I just want to fix up the exterior make it look nice with a good drop, nice set of black powder coated w/ polished lipped wheels, projector headlights, and a good lip on the front bumper (No nasty rice bumper). IF I ever do get a white HB, I'd get a black or CF hood on it.

I just want the basic motor (No VTEC, no Si motor) just enough to get me from point A to point B, and once in awhile point Z.

I know that the years pretty far back, and the engine's gonna have alot of miles. Which why I have these questions.

1. Would a rebuild be able to make it perform back to an almost brand new engine if the engine were to fugg up?

2. Would a rebuild fix oil leaks, burning oil, and smoking of the motor or anything that would make a motor go bad?

3. How much would an engine rebuild cost and how long does the process take?

4. Would the engine just crap out on you if it fails, or can you tell it's gonna crap out before hand by say...smoke, oil leakage and so on and so forth.

5. Is it better to get the engine rebuilt, or just to drop another basic engine?

Any other things that you guys wanna let me in on (such as motor names, free mods, or anything) please chime in.

Thanx guys!!!

edit: BTW guys, what are the average prices on these beauty?
Old 08-17-2003, 12:09 AM
New User

Default Re: NEWB here with a couple of questions... (Predator44)

seizure gif removed by request

Modified by Mr. Choi at 1:45 PM 8/17/2003
Old 08-17-2003, 01:38 AM

Default Re: NEWB here with a couple of questions... (Mr. Choi)

^^ WTF is that all about?

No you probably won't need a rebuid, and if you need a rebuild, it's easy as pie. If you're just looking for good gas mileage and good styling, get a VX.
Old 08-17-2003, 03:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEWB here with a couple of questions... (Unsung EM1)

omfg, choi, can you PLEASE not do that? it makes it almost impossible for me to read a post with that ******* THING FLICKERING EVERY SECOND.

**** like that needs to STOP. its a useless GIF that belongs in the recycling bin, and not on h-t
Old 08-17-2003, 07:06 AM

Default Re: NEWB here with a couple of questions... (JUN EK9)

i found it funny the 1st time i saw it today....yea its gettin old real quick
Old 08-17-2003, 08:41 AM
TheAutoboxer

Default Re: NEWB here with a couple of questions... (boostCreep)

bah... this sucks. i'm gonna go rip off my tires and clean my entire susspension, maybe after that **** on some elctron blue show cars
Old 08-17-2003, 12:45 PM
New User

Default Re: NEWB here with a couple of questions... (JUN EK9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JUN EK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">omfg, choi, can you PLEASE not do that? it makes it almost impossible for me to read a post with that ******* THING FLICKERING EVERY SECOND.

**** like that needs to STOP. its a useless GIF that belongs in the recycling bin, and not on h-t</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahaha, i love that gif, made me twitch and ****.
Old 08-17-2003, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEWB here with a couple of questions... (Mr. Choi)

i wanna see it i wanna see it! as long as it's not smara or anything to do with the exorcist! sorry for going off topic and WELCOME!
Old 08-17-2003, 07:02 PM

Err...bump.

Any answers?
Old 08-17-2003, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: (Predator44)

wtf?!? he asked a good question and no theres 5 replies or more with no help. What is this site good for ? My opinion is to find the car first, and have the engine checked out. You probably wont need any real work besides replacing plugs, plug wires, dist cap and rotor and fuel filter
Old 08-17-2003, 07:09 PM

Awesome dude...thanx for the quick reply.

BTW, there isn't any quote option here huh?
Old 08-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Grab either the VX or the Si hatch IMO. The SI will have more creature comforts than the VX, but the VX gets the best gas mileage out of all the EGs. Also...if that motor takes a crap, you can generally get a low mileage D series motor for under 500 dollars.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:23 PM

Would it be easier just to rebuild the current motor if it does crap out?

Edit: BTW, can you explain what each EG, VX, D series mean? I'm not too familiar with Honda's motors...just Corvettes :D
Old 08-17-2003, 07:25 PM

Would it be easier just to rebuild the current motor if it does crap out?
Old 08-17-2003, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

easier to just buy a motor.

Si has the most hp, vtec, 130?hp, sunroof
Vx gets best gas mileage 90hp i think
cx lowest of the line, 70hp
dx 90 hp
Old 08-17-2003, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Casey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Casey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">easier to just buy a motor.

Si has the most hp, vtec, 130?hp, sunroof
Vx gets best gas mileage 90hp i think
cx lowest of the line, 70hp
dx 90 hp</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea... cx is base line... lightest i think. dx is the next fastest to the Si (as far as hatches go) ..... for one that is stock and in pretty nice shape. i am going to guess you will pay about 3k-4kish? depends on the deal you find and how high the milage is. it would be easier and cheaper to buy a new engine. especially with a hatch like that if you buy another d-series. would cost a lot more to rebuild the engine.
"d-series" is the type of engines... D16Z6(1.6 sohc vtec.. 125hp/106trq)(comes in Si hatches) D15B8 (weak 70hp cx engine..) all "d-series" engines are sohc. easy swap into an eg, pretty much straight bolt in and your done. maybe add acouple wires for vtec.. no biggie."b-series" are going to be your DOHC engines. the two digits following the first letter is going to be your displacement size... like a b16a2 will be a dohc b/c it is b series.... and 1.6L.

the "eg" you asked about... that is the chassis code of the 92-95 civics in japan i think. the "eg6" is a 92-95 or 5g hatch. in america the hatch code is "eh2" i think? "ef8" is a 88-91 crx bodystyle..."ef9" is the 88-91 civic hatch style i think? the "ek" is the 96-00 civics.....

and you asked if you could tell an engine is going.. most of the time. you can see if it is smoking real bad... white smoke = burning oil. and when you rebuild the bottom end of an engine you would change the piston rings, rod and crank bearings, oil pump, and all gaskets/ seals/ and thrust washers. by replacing all of that, you would get full compression back, and no oil leaks... as long as everything was cleaned very well, all carbon build up removed from the cylinder walls with a ridge reamer... it SHOULD* have the same power as when it left the showroom. i think i have covered all the questions in mor depth than you needed. but this way you shouldnt be left still wondering about something...

o yea... your not a "NEWB" your a n00b y0!
Old 08-17-2003, 07:58 PM

Default Re: (SOHC Beast)

Just go ahead a buy and d16y8 with some low miles. They are very common to find for a low price because everyone would like to have b series. You can buy a complete motor for about $700. This way you would not have to deal with the problems that come with buying an older motor.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redcivsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redcivsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just go ahead a buy and d16y8 with some low miles. They are very common to find for a low price because everyone would like to have b series. You can buy a complete motor for about $700. This way you would not have to deal with the problems that come with buying an older motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, and then he has to worry about getting an ecu jumper harness to switch it all from OBD-1 to OBD-2. buy a d16z6, use the d16z6 engine harness, run 2 wires for vtec, and ground one out for the oil press. switch... plug in the p28 ecu like it was stock. BAM.. you have vtec.... and a much better engine. only thing the y8 has the upper hand on IMO is the intake manifold.