Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Newb to the forum. 96 EX body parts interchange question!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:51 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb to the forum. 96 EX body parts interchange question!

Hey there everyone, how are you?

I'm Ralph, and I've been driving civics for a while now. My passion is Mustangs, but I've found myself appreciating these little cars quite a bit. I really miss my '91 4-speed hatchback

Anyway, I currently have a '96 EX Sedan. I've had no trouble with it and put about 35k on it since I bought it. It currently has 151k miles and still runs like a top. I really like this car.

Which is why it bummed me out so much when my girlfriend called me in tears this morning to tell me that she hit a telephone pole with it.

She was fine, but it left the car needing some new parts. Hood, both fenders, bumper cover (at least, if not the support as well) and windshield (from her head, which ironically isn't hurt at all).

It hit on the passenger side right about in line with the headlamp. The headlamp assemblies are still intact and seem sturdy, there wasn't any damage to the radiator support at all, but the PS fender is wrinkled and the hood is shoved over a bit. Driver's side fender was dented when I got it, so seems like no better time to fix that.

Well, after all that rambling, my question is what year parts can I use on this? I know the 4-door fenders are different, or at least that's what I remember reading? I'm hoping to find stuff in the correct color to bolt on until I can get some proper paint on it (black). I know that it's popular to change out this stuff with the youngsters trying to get the Fast and Furious look going, so I'd imagine it would be fairly easy to find OEM takeoff sheetmetal and plastic, right?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Ralph
Old 03-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Newb to the forum. 96 EX body parts interchange question! (BadBlk95GT)

you wont find anything interchangeable body wise in this generation, 01-05. everything changed.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:11 PM
New User

Default Re: Newb to the forum. 96 EX body parts interchange question! (bakerboy0642)

Ugh, so I need specifically 1996 parts? Or what range of years?

Edit: I see, I posted in the wrong forum. Great, 5 posts per day trial account and I wasted three of 'em in here. Sorry!!!
Old 03-25-2008, 02:36 PM
New User

Default Re: Newb to the forum. 96 EX body parts interchange question! (BadBlk95GT)

Recaroem2, thanks for the IM. I can't reply yet though, still a trial member.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can do the 98-00 front ends, but nothing from the 7thgen (01-05)
Old 03-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Now hold up. If you're dong the entire front end, you can swap 96-00. Any from that generation (6th gen) but it must be the same style (IE coupe-coupe or sedan to sedan, although the hatch and coupe an compatible). Note though that 99-00 front end parts and 96-98 cannot be mixed, so you can't take a 99 fender and a 98 bumper and put them together. Also since you say the headlights seem to be fine i would suggest finding parts from another 96-98 civic sedan and using those that way you don't have to buy new headlights as well (since 99-00 headlights don't fit with 96-98 front end parts. Questions? Post'em up.

by the way... an entire front end consists of hood, fenders, bumper, and headlights.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eskimo10)

you could change the whole front end out to a 99-00 like eskimo stated, but thats a whole different story.

you plan on just replacing the damaged parts, and returning it to the way it was, then you will need the parts from a 96-98 4 door.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:22 PM

Default Re: (EJ8 944)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8 944 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">then you will need the parts from a 96-98 4 door.</TD></TR></TABLE>

he doesnt have to have a 4dr front end any 96-98 front end will work
Old 03-28-2008, 11:16 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: (eskimo10)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eskimo10 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now hold up. If you're dong the entire front end, you can swap 96-00. Any from that generation (6th gen) but it must be the same style (IE coupe-coupe or sedan to sedan, although the hatch and coupe an compatible). Note though that 99-00 front end parts and 96-98 cannot be mixed, so you can't take a 99 fender and a 98 bumper and put them together. Also since you say the headlights seem to be fine i would suggest finding parts from another 96-98 civic sedan and using those that way you don't have to buy new headlights as well (since 99-00 headlights don't fit with 96-98 front end parts. Questions? Post'em up.

by the way... an entire front end consists of hood, fenders, bumper, and headlights.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Okay, this post in particular came off really confusing. I'll try to clear it up for the OP.

I'll try to focus on coupes in particular, but will post a little other information too.

1996 to 2000 Civics make up the sixth generation of the Civic. These cars are called 6th gens or EKs (even though this moniker is not true by Honda's word).

All US Civic models got an "update" for the year 1999.

So, for coupes the body is basically the same from 1996 to 2000. Trim does not matter as far as fitment goes, but there are some other slight differences.

The coupe came as a DX (D16Y7 1.6L SOHC non-VTEC), EX (D16Y8 1.6L SOHC VTEC) and HX (D16Y5 1.6L SOHC VTEC-E).

The EX had all color matched trim besides the sideskirts. On the DX and HX the side mirrors, side molding and license plate garnish were all unpainted, along with the sideskirts.

The EX has a moonroof, but not the other trims. The EX also came with power windows, door locks, power steering, and other creature comforts. The '98 EX and up (and Si later) all had maplights too.

I have gone over the options a little bit better in this thread.

No hatch came with painted trim like the EX. The DX did have a longer painted spoiler and rear wiper while the CX had an unpainted short spoiler and no wiper. There was no option for power doors, power locks or a moonroof. The DX had optional power steering.

For the sedans the trims were similar to the coupes, though there was no HX but there was an LX, which had the DX engine but more creature comforts.

With the update in 1999 came a completely different front end (fenders, bumper, core support, hood, headlights, grille) and different taillights. The coupe and hatch taillights lost their amber and turned just red and white. The sedan taillights changed shape on the inner section, changing the trunk shape too. Sedan taillights still had amber though. Coupes and sedans got a slightly different rear bumper too. The climate control went from manual control (slide controls) to power (*****).

So any '96-'98 Civic coupe will have parts that fit. Trim won't be painted on the DX or HX though. If the exterior body part isn't part of the front (well, all of the front) then '99-'00 coupe paints will also fit.

All '96-'98 front ends are the same. Well, besides the grille. Coupes and hatches had painted grille shells with fewer spokes in the grille. Sedans had chrome shells with more spokes.

The same goes for '99-'00, though the Si coupe got it's own special grille which is similar to the Civic Type R grille for 1999 to 2000.

I'll have to check on the windshield, but I know the rear glass is different for all bodies.

If I were you I'd stick with the '96-'98 front end for ease. This front also has more options for lips, at least for the stock lips.