Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New Year's Eve crash, totaled 93 Civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Year's Eve crash, totaled 93 Civic LX

Sadly, the Civic gave its life for me Thursday night. I don't have any pictures, sorry. It was the other drivers fault, but I know the book on the car will be low, as in less than $2K. Here are my questions:

I just put A LOT of money into the car to ready it for the next 150,000 miles, as in head gasket, timing belt, water pump, tensioner, cam/crank seals, all drive belts, all coolant hoses, new distributor, distributor cap, wires, ignitor, rotor, fluid flush, master cylinder, etc. All genuine parts from the dealer. This is just what I can recall.

What other years will these parts work within?
What other years will body parts swap? My r front fender, hood, bumper, headlight assy, corner light are gone. Air bag deployed. The r front tire is pushed back into the rear of the fender opening.

Strangely, the car wouldn't move when dropped off of the tow truck, as in no clutch. The slave cylinder was full. Any ideas on that?

Thanks,

Ed Fisher
Dallas, Tx
Old 01-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Year's Eve crash, totaled 93 Civic LX

first of all, if its gonna be paid for by the other party's insurance, I believe they will cut you a check and tow away your car. Most likely, you can buy the car back, but do you really want to do that? Its not worth much with the damaged front end, you are gonna have to waste time and labor to take out the salvageable parts on this car, which might not sell for good money,,, seriously, I can find complete doors for your civic at the local u-pull-it junkyard for like $40 and $25 for a trunk lid... and you will have a big headache with the car as an eyesore in your front yard or driveway. not to mention a pain its gonna be to get rid of the shell. If you have receipt of the work done recently, I believe you can argue and get compensated for the money you put in your car, especially since its the other party's insurance paying for it.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B16aEk4drbeater
first of all, if its gonna be paid for by the other party's insurance, I believe they will cut you a check and tow away your car. Most likely, you can buy the car back, but do you really want to do that? Its not worth much with the damaged front end, you are gonna have to waste time and labor to take out the salvageable parts on this car, which might not sell for good money,,, seriously, I can find complete doors for your civic at the local u-pull-it junkyard for like $40 and $25 for a trunk lid... and you will have a big headache with the car as an eyesore in your front yard or driveway. not to mention a pain its gonna be to get rid of the shell. If you have receipt of the work done recently, I believe you can argue and get compensated for the money you put in your car, especially since its the other party's insurance paying for it.
this may be true, but if he could buy the whole car back for under 200 then it would pay for its self.

o/p, which motor do you have, d16z6 or d15b7? either way, you setup will swap right into any other 92-95 civic hatch coupe or sedan, you may have to use your current car's engine harness or ad wires for vtec based on weather or not your car has vtec and the car you buy has vtec.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCRB
this may be true, but if he could buy the whole car back for under 200 then it would pay for its self.

o/p, which motor do you have, d16z6 or d15b7? either way, you setup will swap right into any other 92-95 civic hatch coupe or sedan, you may have to use your current car's engine harness or ad wires for vtec based on weather or not your car has vtec and the car you buy has vtec.
Im pretty sure you can buy the car back for $200 or less but seriously, since its a Lx,,, how much is a D15b7 worth? and keep in mind that OP is not capable of yanking out the engine himself otherwise, he wouldnt have did the work at the dealership, unless I read wrong. Im from Philly and trust me, if I had a banged up civic in front of my house, the neighbors will go nuts and call on my azz if it sits in front of my house for over 2 weeks... and try finding a junkyard that would want to tow away your car without an engine in it. been there done that,,, nothing but headaches... lol
Old 01-04-2010, 12:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

This sucks.

I am parting out one of my eg's maybe I can help you with some parts of you decide to fix it.

Good luck
Old 01-06-2010, 06:09 AM

My car was a DB15. I know that this isn't the most desireable to most, but it was amazingly efficient and sturdy.

I have a house with 3 acres, and I can park a car indefinitely while watching for a car that is compatible. I can do the transplant myself, it is whether I want to is the question. I did have the past work done at a dealership, but by a trusted friend that works there. He is the only other person that turns a wrench on any of my cars because he is meticulous, and an expert in his field. I am not all that trusting when it comes to people doing work on my vehicles. I once had a timing belt done at a VERY reputable BMW dealership here in Dallas and they scarred up my radiator getting it in and out. That was it for me.

Thanks one and all for the replies and well-wishes. I appreciate the support greatly. As an aside, the Civic held together admirably given a 40-45mph crash into a relatively fixed object. My passenger wasn't hurt, and I simply stoved my shoulder while trying to miss her driver's door. It's just a tear that should be ok after some rehab.

The car kept running, didn't poke a hole in the radiator, and sat like a soldier keeping my passenger warm while I was directing traffic, getting a spare coat for the other young driver, and trying to keep another crash from happening on a cold and rainy night. I loved that car, and I loved her consistent 37mpg. Sigh.

Again, thank you all. Be safe. I am a pretty darned defensive driver, have ridden motorcycles for 40+ years and have learned to have my 'radar' on at all times. Sometimes people just do something so bizarre as to offer no early warning system. She was literally in my headlight beam before I could react. I have played it over and over and I can't see how I could have anticipated this accident given the speed that she was traveling trying to get across all lanes for a left turn. I'm just glad that I could swerve to catch her front instead of the driver's door in a T-bone. She wouldn't have fared well I'm afraid. All in all it is just a pain in the **** and if that is the worst that happens to me in 2010 I will be just fine. Who knows? She may have been heading out to see far worse that night if she hadn't "met" me. Fate is a funny thing.

I'll be back gang, and will let you know when I am and what Honda I am driving. I will monitor the list in case, on the off-chance, there is something that I can contribute.

All the best,

Ed Fisher
Dallas, Tx
Old 01-06-2010, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, in that case, negotiate with insurance company and buy the car back for like $100 from them. Especially when you got so much land, unlike me in Philly. As long as you dont mind seeing a banged up civic in front of your house all day long then hell yeah its worth it to buy it back, clusters worth money, center console, armrest, engine, trans, axle, shift linkage, etc..... Good luck on finding a shell, glad to hear nobody was really hurt, thats the main thing, cars are replaceable..
Old 01-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, if you can buy it back cheap, you can strip off what's good in a few days. Engine, trans, linkage, front sway bar, maybe struts, seats, carpet, dash, ECU (definitely since it can be modded and used for tuning). Depending how bad the chassis is, bash it out and use it as a track car!