Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New wheels and tires, alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New wheels and tires, alignment?

I just put new wheels are tires on my car and i need an alignment because it pulls to the right pretty hard now. Should i just get a 2 wheel alignment for the front? The car is lowered so the rear camber is pretty bad so i dont think i even want them to mess with the rear. My question is if i get just the front done will that correct my steering problem? Or does the rear tires have anything to do with control of the car?
Old 04-08-2007, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New wheels and tires, alignment? (zach1288)

Front alignment will deffinitely help with the steering issue however if the back is also out you could still find yourself running into tires wearing down and possibly knocking it back out of alignment.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New wheels and tires, alignment? (bart2546)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bart2546 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Front alignment will deffinitely help with the steering issue however if the back is also out you could still find yourself running into tires wearing down and possibly knocking it back out of alignment. </TD></TR></TABLE>

How would the rear being out knock the front out of alignment? I dont care if the tires wear in the back. I will get a rear camber kit eventually.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you have to correct your toe since thats the only rear adjustment you have...if not add some shim to your upper control arm....it should help a little...
Old 04-08-2007, 08:44 AM

the rears do influence the front. Whenever you do a 4 wheel alignment you start with the rear. There's a measurement called thrust angle, and what it is, is sort of the "steering angle" of the rear wheels. Just picture how a boat steers with a rudder. Kind of the same idea. Basically, don't be cheap, get it done right
Old 04-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New wheels and tires, alignment? (JDMFantasy2k)

Ok i will get a 4 wheel alignment, can they still adjust everything even tho the camber is negative in the rear? How much do you think this will run at a place like monroe?
Old 04-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 wheel alignments here in FL run around $40 to $100. I always pay about 60 no matter where I go. Don't go cheap and only do a 2 wheel alignment. It wouldn't be much cheaper anyway.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sageuvagony)

see if you can't just get a lifetime alignment package for a bit more. it's totally worth it.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New wheels and tires, alignment? (JDMFantasy2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMFantasy2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the rears do influence the front. Whenever you do a 4 wheel alignment you start with the rear. There's a measurement called thrust angle, and what it is, is sort of the "steering angle" of the rear wheels. Just picture how a boat steers with a rudder. Kind of the same idea. Basically, don't be cheap, get it done right </TD></TR></TABLE>
Exactly right. If the rear toe is out and you just choose to align the front, now your front wheels are aligned improperly along with the rears.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zach1288 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok i will get a 4 wheel alignment, can they still adjust everything even tho the camber is negative in the rear? How much do you think this will run at a place like monroe?</TD></TR></TABLE>
The shop where I do alignments charges $60. That's not bad, but that's assuming you have no faulty parts i.e. tie rod end, etc. As to your concern about how your alignment could have gotten off in the rear, you answered it yourself. You lowered your car. You really should look into getting a camber kit for the rear, or like was suggested, put some shims in there. You just bought brand new tires, and you don't want to drive on them for a year and have to replace them.

Oh, if the alignment doesn't fix the pull, have the shop cross and rebalance the front tires. Sometimes if a tire slips a cord it can cause a radial pull where the tire is responsible and not the alignment.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New wheels and tires, alignment? (hatchling37)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchling37 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Exactly right. If the rear toe is out and you just choose to align the front, now your front wheels are aligned improperly along with the rears.

The shop where I do alignments charges $60. That's not bad, but that's assuming you have no faulty parts i.e. tie rod end, etc. As to your concern about how your alignment could have gotten off in the rear, you answered it yourself. You lowered your car. You really should look into getting a camber kit for the rear, or like was suggested, put some shims in there. You just bought brand new tires, and you don't want to drive on them for a year and have to replace them.

Oh, if the alignment doesn't fix the pull, have the shop cross and rebalance the front tires. Sometimes if a tire slips a cord it can cause a radial pull where the tire is responsible and not the alignment.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah i know why the rear camber is out, i just dont have the money for a camber kit yet, but in the next couple months i am starting a new job and will have lots of money for stuff like this.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:40 PM

the camber can be a little out and not cause a total fuckus. I think mine was about 2* and i had the toe dead on and it drove great. Tire wear didn't seem too bad either but i had to take it off the road before long. But if you car isn't dumped and doesn't have very wide tires then the wear should be insane, but shimming it would probably help.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if your car off by -2 degree...... add about 3 shim to each bolt on the upper control arm...... it should solve your problem thats what i did to my car its perfect on the camber (95 honda civic coupe ex) not sure what car you drive though.....you can also check how much your tires has contact with the road by looking at the tread wear....well thats all i gotta say for now good luck.....
Old 04-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New wheels and tires, alignment? (dubzxallxstar)

I got the alignment done and it drives much better now. I will get a scan of the print out so you can look at it.

One more thing if i lower the front of my car like 1/2" will i need to get another alignment?
Old 04-14-2007, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im pretty sure ...every time when car gets lower...negative camber will show up...