Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New User asking Experts! PLEASE READ AND RESPOND! tHaNkS guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New User asking Experts! PLEASE READ AND RESPOND! tHaNkS guys

Wassup Honda-tech heads and Vtec Vets...Im new to this site so bare with my ignorance. I've been looking for a hatch back civic(2000) for a while, and I just stumbled across one that has plenty of potential but is banged up.. There is a few dents in the front fenders but nothing done to the engine at all. Thats not the issue though...the issue is, the back was hit and the collission pushed in the rear bumper, and I think it made the subframe(I guess where the floor for the trunk is fold in a little...like a small wave) The rear light was crushed and the hatch is locked stuck. The rear frame damage dosent continue thorugh the rest of the car from what i see, and the doors are perfectly straight, as well as the roof. There is no rear bumper, just the thing that holds it. The muffler wasn't damaged at all.

What I would like to know is if it's worth it to buy it for $4000. It has only 45k miles on it. It's a standard and is a 2000, silver with a black interior.

ALso...how much am i looking at to repair the damage, Can anyone get discounts? Im a rookie college student. Thanks folks.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New User asking Experts! PLEASE READ AND RESPOND! tHaNkS guys (wzamor)

im not one of the experts.

but ive bought cars before.

you have to ask yourself a couple of questions as per your situation as of now.

1. is $4,000 lot of money for you right now?
2. can you bare with spending at the minimum of $2,000+ extra to fix the damage?
3. do you have time to leave the car at the shop for about 1-4 months depending on the shop?
4. why get a broken car to start out with?
5. understand that school is more important im sure, so why stress yourself out worrying about how to fix this car you just paid $4,000 on..
Old 04-30-2004, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to pick u a nice EK for around 4-5k in good condition. may have high miles. but if u plan to swap that shouldnt matter. check the classified section and u might find one in your area
Old 04-30-2004, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: New User asking Experts! PLEASE READ AND RESPOND! tHaNkS guys (wzamor)

I just got my first car in December, a 96 civic EX completely stock with about 90k on it, I was in beautiful condition, the carpets were so clean I could pet them. I got it for 3,750 and I can tell it's gonna last me a really long time, I've already driven across country in it had no problems what so ever, it's ok to get an older car, as long as you treat it right it can last you a really long time.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i wouldn't pay 4000 for a rear ended 2000 ek. you looking to pay about that much to get the rear section coming out as stock as possible. frame adjustment labor is costly. i was just rear ended and totalled my EH hatch, i didn't even want to keep it and fix it because it'd cost too much. btw, my car was worth 3200, and the damage cost more than my car ...i would just do what was said above.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJcoupe)

i wouldnt pay that much for one.. I paid 1250 for mine with light front end damage which included having to replace one fender, hood, bumper, grill. I think i ended up spending a total of like a thousand dollars to get it back to like new.

by the way its a 98 hatch and had 63000 miles on it.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (90crxzcgasd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90crxzcgasd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wouldnt pay that much for one.. I paid 1250 for mine with light front end damage which included having to replace one fender, hood, bumper, grill. I think i ended up spending a total of like a thousand dollars to get it back to like new.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats sick, you owned the last owner!
Old 05-02-2004, 01:01 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

just need a real ctr lip w/ painted side molds and side skirts and you got yoself a hot hatch
Old 05-02-2004, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJcoupe)

already have a real CTR lip, thin side moldings and ctr spoiler.......just waiting for some time to put it into spray booth since i work so much and have an 8 month old daughter to take care of too.......gonna go everything VSM skirts, molding, mirrors, and door handles... also trying to get all the parts for gsr swap together to do it all at one time........
Old 05-02-2004, 01:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (QuikJaysun)

i thought i had an original way to spell Jayson but Jaysun is tight too.........
Old 05-02-2004, 01:41 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90crxzcgasd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wouldnt pay that much for one.. I paid 1250 for mine with light front end damage which included having to replace one fender, hood, bumper, grill. I think i ended up spending a total of like a thousand dollars to get it back to like new.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats pretty much the hookup of the century
Old 05-02-2004, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wzamor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wassup Honda-tech heads and Vtec Vets...Im new to this site so bare with my ignorance. I've been looking for a hatch back civic(2000) for a while, and I just stumbled across one that has plenty of potential but is banged up.. There is a few dents in the front fenders but nothing done to the engine at all. Thats not the issue though...the issue is, the back was hit and the collission pushed in the rear bumper, and I think it made the subframe(I guess where the floor for the trunk is fold in a little...like a small wave) The rear light was crushed and the hatch is locked stuck. The rear frame damage dosent continue thorugh the rest of the car from what i see, and the doors are perfectly straight, as well as the roof. There is no rear bumper, just the thing that holds it. The muffler wasn't damaged at all.

What I would like to know is if it's worth it to buy it for $4000. It has only 45k miles on it. It's a standard and is a 2000, silver with a black interior.

ALso...how much am i looking at to repair the damage, Can anyone get discounts? Im a rookie college student. Thanks folks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

WAY too much damage. That car is worth less than a grand.

Here is how you find out if its worth it.

1) is it a totlal loss (Salvage Title)
2) is the unibody wrecked, just because you cant see it - doesnt mean it isnt.
3) Did the air bags deploy! Most important, those suckers are exspensive!
4) Will it cost you more than the car's value (in good condition) to fix. If you're paying 4500 and the car is worth 5,000 in good conidition then its clearly not worth it.

If any one of those four are yes, then the car is not worth it at all.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:41 AM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If i was you i wouldn't chance it.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90crxzcgasd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i thought i had an original way to spell Jayson but Jaysun is tight too.........</TD></TR></TABLE>

thx

to the poster: don't do it