Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New Shifter Bushins

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Shifter Bushins

Which bushings do I need to replace to make thing feel right again - they're already shot to ****, at least the one up front is:

I'm pretty sure I need:
9 x2

Is that all I'd need for an OEM bushing "kit" like prothane or energey suspension sells? I don't think they come with 19, do they?

////pple from cali, texas, florida, etc. woudln't understand the following ////

I replaced the transmission like 3 months ago - now when I did it - everything came out easy - no heads broke off, etc. but I was wondering still if I should replace the bolts where the bushings go while I'm down there - no intention of replacing the bitch clip - but you know what salt does to undercarriages up here in NY if you live in the NE.

25x2

5????

I think the thrust washers come with the shifter (B&M dual bend ST shifter).

Anyways, I just need help putting together the bushing list - I suppose if the bolts and everything came out fine a few months ago - there shouldn't be a problem this time - then again, I didn't touch the ones by the shifter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New Shifter Bushins (Syndacate)

my energy kit came with everything minus 17 i think, i`m not sure. you pretty much have most if not everything listed.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:53 AM
cute little bastard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New Shifter Bushins (Syndacate)

You don't really need to replace the metal collars in my opinion. The most important one from my experience is #14. I first changed just #16 b/c I didn't have a press for #14 and it didnt do anything. But then put in #14 and it felt like I was driving a brand new trans.

That bracket (17) is also not really necessary unless your current one is bent or something
Old 10-15-2007, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the ES kit you dont have to press #14. and last i checked the OEM bushing is two piece as well.. syndicate, i know your a fan of OEM, but this is one item that is a benefit from the ES upgrade.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New Shifter Bushins (SkoundrelUSA)

14 and 16 are the only bushings you get if you buy the shifter-only kit from energy
Old 10-15-2007, 07:36 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: (gsxr1k05)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsxr1k05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the ES kit you dont have to press #14. and last i checked the OEM bushing is two piece as well.. syndicate, i know your a fan of OEM, but this is one item that is a benefit from the ES upgrade.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Isn't that only for SOHC? I'm pretty sure the B-series bushings are one piece. You don't necessarily need a press but its a little tough without one.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrokeA$$Pinoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">14 and 16 are the only bushings you get if you buy the shifter-only kit from energy </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I thought, thanks.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Isn't that only for SOHC? I'm pretty sure the B-series bushings are one piece. You don't necessarily need a press but its a little tough without one.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsxr1k05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the ES kit you dont have to press #14. and last i checked the OEM bushing is two piece as well.. syndicate, i know your a fan of OEM, but this is one item that is a benefit from the ES upgrade.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

A) You don't have to press it with anything except your finger.
B) Last you checked was wrong - the OEM bushing is 1 piece - I changed mine with one in better condition - one piece (14).

It's not that I'm a fan of OEM, it's I'm a fan of paying the cheapest price - now ES bushing don't provide anything further than a cute name - You can get 14 and 16 for like 10 bucks from honda - so why pay 10 bucks for the name?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

Lemme rephrase, I don't think I quite worded it right last time.

I know 14 and 16 are a must have - I'm just saying, is there anything else I should replace under there off that diagram?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:08 AM
cute little bastard

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's what I thought, thanks.

A) You don't have to press it with anything except your finger.
B) Last you checked was wrong - the OEM bushing is 1 piece - I changed mine with one in better condition - one piece (14).
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, I meant the polyurethane bushings. They are quite hard so its hard to push it into the linkage. (For a b-series. The ES bushings for D-series ones are 2 piece)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It's not that I'm a fan of OEM, it's I'm a fan of paying the cheapest price - now ES bushing don't provide anything further than a cute name - You can get 14 and 16 for like 10 bucks from honda - so why pay 10 bucks for the name?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because polyurethane doesn't really get worn out so you don't have to replace it again. Trust me, they feel completely different than OEM.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sorry, I meant the polyurethane bushings. They are quite hard so its hard to push it into the linkage. (For a b-series. The ES bushings for D-series ones are 2 piece)

Because polyurethane doesn't really get worn out so you don't have to replace it again. Trust me, they feel completely different than OEM. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ah, IC, good to know.

Yeah, the OEM bushings are one piece.

If they're two piece I fail to see how a problem arises as you could just put half in on each end and tap in w/ a rubber mallet...

Getting OEM ones in and out is no problem .
Old 10-15-2007, 08:17 AM
cute little bastard

lol Again I was talking about B-series. That picture looked like B-series to me so I thought thats what you had now.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol Again I was talking about B-series. That picture looked like B-series to me so I thought thats what you had now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

O, I C

This part made me think you were saying the D series bushings were 2 piece:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The ES bushings for D-series ones are 2 piece</TD></TR></TABLE>

Anyways, thanks.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the b series is a 2 piece as well. i had to replace those in my crx with a b16 swap. i used the oem bushing for that cause i didnt want to wait for shipping.. you can find the es bushing on ebay for the same price as the oem one.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsxr1k05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the b series is a 2 piece as well. i had to replace those in my crx with a b16 swap. i used the oem bushing for that cause i didnt want to wait for shipping.. you can find the es bushing on ebay for the same price as the oem one. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Unless Energy changed their bushing from last year, their #14 bushing for B's is one piece. I'd be weary about buying individual bushings on eBay that are sold under a brand name... likely they're knockoffs. I bought the entire bushing kit from Summit

Anyway, lube goes a long way (ha!) when installing polyurethane. I installed mine pretty easily by hand with some lube to prevent the material from binding on the linkage. Doing it dry (double ha!) can get a little cumbersome. Excuse all the innuendo

Energy's bushings feel nice btw, and if I were you, I'd replace all the small hardware down there while you're at it. I don't need to remind you that stuff gets weathered pretty badly under there, and replacing a few bolts or nuts that are exposed now is easier than having to drill them out later if they snap off. That hardware is pretty cheap.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1.) You don't replace 9 or 19 when you do bushings - just clean the stock units up and lube them before reinstallation.

2.) 16 and 14 are the only bushings that come in most kits.

3.) B&M shifters come with plenty of 23's to replace on the 11 part in the diagram. Again, use a ton of lube (provided)

4.) 17 is metal and doesn't need to be replaced.

5.) replacing the bitch pin will likely make more of a difference in the way the shifter feels than anything else. If you're going to be under the car for bushings, you might as well put in a new pin while you're at it.

Lots of people are frightened of the bitch pin, but there's no reason to be. Use a 1/4" drive ratchet extension to drive it out - it fits perfectly (I did it two days ago) and tap the new one in from the bottom. Done deal.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1.) You don't replace 9 or 19 when you do bushings - just clean the stock units up and lube them before reinstallation.

2.) 16 and 14 are the only bushings that come in most kits.

3.) B&M shifters come with plenty of 23's to replace on the 11 part in the diagram. Again, use a ton of lube (provided)

4.) 17 is metal and doesn't need to be replaced.

5.) replacing the bitch pin will likely make more of a difference in the way the shifter feels than anything else. If you're going to be under the car for bushings, you might as well put in a new pin while you're at it.

Lots of people are frightened of the bitch pin, but there's no reason to be. Use a 1/4" drive ratchet extension to drive it out - it fits perfectly (I did it two days ago) and tap the new one in from the bottom. Done deal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you as always, Mike.

I have no clue why people bitch about the bitch pin - or even why it's called a bitch pin.

Or maybe it's just my inexperience? Who knows? All I know is that it's never taken me more than 10 seconds to pop that clip off. Just got a screwdriver against it and hit it with a wrench - popped right off. And since the other trans I just swapped had the linkage cut (not unbolted) I had to take the pin off of that too...again, same deal, &lt;10 seconds. So I really don't get what the problem with that thing is...

In any event, that's pretty much what i figured about stuff, the #11 just clean it up and put new O rings (23) on it?

So since the B&M comes with lots of O rings, I'd probably look to change:

EDIT:
And lube everything up with the grease provided upon reinstallation?
//EDIT

Then the bolts that go through the bushings just leave - they're fine? I was only thinking of that from the perspective that the salt killz up here - but again, when I changed the trans it unbolted easily so who knows .

Old 10-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The metal sleeves should be fine but after coping with soooo many seized and/or busted fasteners, I'm a firm believer of replacing them if they show signs of rust. Your call, though, as I think everything was covered. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Blk00EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blk00EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The metal sleeves should be fine but after coping with soooo many seized and/or busted fasteners, I'm a firm believer of replacing them if they show signs of rust. Your call, though, as I think everything was covered. Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good to know - thanks.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is #22 the "bitch pin"?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hittnthebz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hittnthebz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is #22 the "bitch pin"?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, and 1 is the clip that holds it - had it mixed up there first time I looked at it.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, that is a bitch. Now im gonna have to mess with the car again to try to get it out since i learned some tricks from this page.