Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new rotors and pads grinding ... need some help

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new rotors and pads grinding ... need some help

this is my first brake job so bear with me.

car: 1994 civic ex sedan
brakes: changed front
new brakes: cobalt gt sports and brembo rotors

there were no problems changing the rotors and when i attached the caliper back i just put in the cobalt pads, with no shims, my stock shims were shot. i then sprayed the rotor with some brake cleaner.

when i put everything back together, i torqued the bolts according to helms specs.

after the left rotor and pads were done i pumped the pedal, first pump went all the way to the floor, then after that it was pretty normal pedal feel.

after i installed the right rotor and pads i pumped the pedal again, it didn't go to the floor this time but it went down a little and then after the first pump it went back to normal.

as soon as i started the test drive, backing out of my drive way i applied the breaks, all i heard was grinding.

it sounded just like the grinding i had before i replaced the pads and rotor. (btw my olds pad were shot big time)

so i continued, thinking this is normal for new rotors and pads, and while i was driving, no braking, i would hear slight grinding, so i turned around and drove back home and it just sounded to me like it got worse.

so needless to say i'm a bit paranoid about going out and driving the car at the moment.

with my little story here, can you guys/gals see anything i did wrong and venture forth some of your wisdom to get me out of this pickle.

(btw: it felt pretty rewarding to my own brakes instead of forking over the cash for someone else to do them)
Old 04-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new rotors and pads grinding ... need some help (bisket)

did you open the bleeder valve or something? pedal shouldnt hit the floor.

also youll need put the shims back on. thats the culprit for the scratching noises.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:18 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new rotors and pads grinding ... need some help (=Gameover=)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by =Gameover= &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you open the bleeder valve or something? pedal shouldnt hit the floor.

also youll need put the shims back on. thats the culprit for the scratching noises.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it will. that's why you always pump the brakes before you put the car in reverse, otherwise you will end up hitting something without being able to stop.

And yes you will need to put your shims back on (get some new ones), put some brake quiet **** on there too. The noise will prolly go away. Regrease your slidding pins too.