Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New paint job: exotic or simple?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New paint job: exotic or simple?

Hey HT, i have a 94 del sol vtec. I destroyed the motor :S and I'm in the process of building a b20vtec when money allows. In the meantime it's time for my 3rd paint job.

I have a choice, I could go for somethin simple, a flat black/gray/pavement-color mix...
OR
An exotic showy-low profile look with urban camoflauge. Let me explain what I'd do, and then tell me which you think would look sweeter.....

It would be a camoflauge pattern, based off waterspots and leaves. I would put a powerful light up in a tree late at night, shining down through the tree onto the car. I would trace the shadows of the leaves on the upper parts of the car, then the next day I would spray the car down til it was soaked and let it dry slowly. Flat paints seem to hold water for longer than gloss (I'm a housepainter by trade)... When the water had half dried up, I would trace the spots of the drips and waterspots, so I had a completely random pattern of water on the lower portions of the car (the stuff that didn't have the leaf pattern on it.)

The end result would be a completely sick urban camoflauge, based off of waterspots and shadows from trees. My car would blend in where ever I parked it.

Which one?

Basic simple pavement color, or exotic urban camoflauge?

Needless to say, I'm goin for low profile. A car that cops drive past and don't notice

What's it gonna be HT? I am paintgodwarrior so either way it will be sick. Just don't know what's what.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New paint job: exotic or simple?

thats a creative way to get camo patterns!

although a camo paintjob would be sorta ricey imo (or just too much showoff actually)

painting the hood camo then a basic color for the rest of the car would be an awesome balance
Old 06-06-2010, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always liked simple and clean so that's my vote. And I absolutely HATE camo paint jobs. Limp wrist gay IMO.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:11 AM
PSU
formerly DxHatchback

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt93eg
I've always liked simple and clean so that's my vote.
QFT.

Wish I had the money to get my car sprayed professionally.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, I think a flat black or a camo would attract cops because it isn't at all stock.

Of your choices I would go with the camo because it least it's unique. I hate flat black paint jobs. Personally, I like glossy factory colors, not necessarily only ones that came on the particular car or from Honda, but something with a nice showroom look. But go for the camo if that's your thing, I'm sure it'll be nicely done since you're a pro. Post pics when you're finished!
Old 06-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright, I have decided.

I am going to go with a flat/non-reflective blackish gray. It will be a pavement color, to blend into the road.

Needless to say, I am going for unobtrusive and low-key. A car that blends in instead of standing out. There are only 60k ppl on this island (Maui) so you recognize cars easily. I think I am one of three black del sols, but I am sure there are a few more black ones hiding in people's garages though...

The camo would be cool, but just a little too loud for this tiny island. I would be recognized instantly, where ever I drove. Not what I'm after.

If someone wants to steal my idea though, go for it.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, a well done flat black looks nice and your idea of a pavement /greyish flat will look sick as well.

Please put up some pics once completed.