Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new owner of an eg coupe.... couple ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default new owner of an eg coupe.... couple ?'s

hey i just got a 94 civic dx coupe. i dont have a ton of cash and want to upgrade it with junkyard thins. im already planning on putting 96 ex seats in to replace the ripped on in it now. the guage cluster has already been upgraded so it has an rpm gauge. im getting an exhaust system this weekend, i have a muffler but am wondering what size piping.. i want it to be louder than regular but not sooo loud. it has a sohc 1.5. for the back seats, will the 96 civic coupe seats bolt in and fit right and stuff? will doorpanels from a hatch or sedan replace the ones i have now? is there are center console upgrades such as an armrest or something like that? im used to my crx so i dont know a ton about these civics. it doesnt run now, but this weekend i am putting in a replacement. any help would be awesome. and also, can i put a bigger radiator in? the one in it now looks so puny... maybe it will be fine. thanks guys
Old 12-08-2004, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: new owner of an eg coupe.... couple ?'s (homeskillet)

im not sure about the seats
the door panels will only bolt on if they are taken from a 92-95 coupe or hatch, NOT a 4 door.
I do not believe you can get a arm rest, maybe one from an integra?

you can get a radiator from a del sol that is full size, but then you will have to remove the ac. i think that it also requires modification, but if you aren't generating tons of heat, you don't need it. I drive mine at high rpms almost always and the water temp never moves.

I would get a motor out of a 94-95 ex and drop that in, then you have vtec, or do the mini me swap.

do a search, lots of these have been covered previously.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new owner of an eg coupe.... couple ?'s (civiccpedx)

you don't want loose nuts.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u may have to swap the rails to get the front seats to fit perfectly. don't know if the backs fit at all. u can get a oem armrest...I have a ton of em... like 5 or 6.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Integra seats are a direct bolt in for the fronts.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:30 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Re: new owner of an eg coupe.... couple ?'s (97civicdx)

As for the radiator, the del sol one is the same frontal size (so you don't have to remove ac), but it is thicker thus holding more coolant. If you replace your radiator w/ the del sol vtec model (1" core) you will have better cooling capacity. Depending on the price, this radiator http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...33602 will be even better since it has an aluminum core (w/ plastic end tanks), and you cannot beat the price. It also holds more fluid since it is a 1" single core instead of a 1" dual core. This is more than enough cooling for any Normally Aspirated motor you swap in.

As for the arm rest, you can get the honda factory option part shown here in black http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=WDVW . I don't know if you need blue, but it was made in blue also. You could also find it at the dealership or http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

Door panels must be 92-95 coupe or hatchback w/ the same matching power accessories as your own. You don't want ones for crank windows if you have power ones.

If you want the car to be louder, but not much, get an intake instead of an exhaust. The intake will only make a lot of noise when you really open the throttle. If you must get an exhaust, make sure it has a good resonator or two on the piping underneath the car (after the catalytic convertor). This will keep it sounding nice, not rice.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the car has a homeade intake on it right now which im sure once my civic is running will sound nice. the exhaust on it right now is falling apart. my friend sold my a muffler for $5 off his crx and i know a guy who knows a guy so i can get my exhaust done for like $20. with the del sol radiator, i know where i could get a hold of one, but does it have to be the vtec model? because the one i know of in a jyard is a sohc noTec . btw thanks for all the helpful tips keep em coming..
Old 12-08-2004, 06:34 PM

Congrats on the new coupe! I have the 96 ex sedan front seats in my 92 cx. I can answer most of your questions, sinve I've recently researched most of this.

I would recommend 2-2 1/4" exhaust piping back, unless you plan to upgrade your engine and drive train in the future. If that is the case you should consider 2 1/4-2 1/2". I run a Greddy Exhaust which is 2 3/8" on a b18c1 1.8L platform. Its not too loud, but it definitely makes noise up towards vtec launch. The website kteller.com sells excellent, plain looking mandrel bent piping made sepecifically for you car's body style. I would recommend matching with an equal sized catalytic converter (if the cat is smaller than the rest of the piping performance will suffer).

Rear seats from any 96 will not fit. you need the seats from 92-5 coupe, or research applications with Integra rear seats. You'll need door panels from a 92-5 coupe or hatchback model, these are identical. Sedan door panels will not fit.

Armrests and upgraded audio consoles that fitsbetween the cup holder and the onsole may be purchased on eBay. I'm not certain if Honda Dealerships still sell these items, but one such as Majestic Honda might have a few around. Both of these items however, are quite expensive.

I would recommend a radiator from an si if you plan to do a swap. These aren't terribly expensive. If you don't plan to make significant performance modifications, just buy a nice one designed for your particular engine.

good luck
Old 12-08-2004, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new owner of an eg coupe.... couple ?'s (jlsmi2)

for one thing its not called an eg coupe. its an EJ. with the seats...i say you should get del sol seats. you will love them
Old 12-08-2004, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new owner of an eg coupe.... couple ?'s (JayDieM_ej1)

^ i agree, even though its an upgrade to EK seats, they are not comfortable at all. To me at least, they have no support. I had del sol seats for awhile, and they are awesome