Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New to imports have an issue with top speed on a 2000 Si

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 New to imports have an issue with top speed on a 2000 Si

Well its not an Si but a hatch that had the full conversion carbon fiber hood,AC stuff all gone very very light car.Nice conversion as well never had thought of 4 cyl as being fast well i have a new respect for Hondas now.
This issue its 22 out and im looking at an empty hi-way so i dig in and at in 4th gear im at about 112 and pulling hard ,i shift hit about 118 4200 rpm and the car goes to sleep..Whhha..?..it Sloooolwy got close to 120 but just stopped pulling.
A honda guy at the shop i run thought it was funny as hell,told me i have a fuel cut off at 118 mph....Help the new guy out this thing has Soooo much more to offer how in the heck can i get around the dang fuel cut off..
Its like being on a date and she keeps her hand in your pocket all night and then gives a kiss on the cheek.You know theres a lot more fun there but you just cant get to it.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to imports have an issue with top speed on a 2000 Si

Need more info. Is the N/A or boosted? What mods are done? All things aside shifting @ 4200 rpm is way too low. You need to ride it through v-tec in every gear. If it's boosted, then that doesn't matter as much but you still want to go higher. An easy way to get more fuel is the injectors. Buy some that fit your build. N/A guys usually go with 370cc to a 550cc, In some cases bigger. Boosted guys are running 550cc all the way up to 1600cc injectors. Also get a fuel pressure regulator. FYI, the fuel pump and the rail are usually the last things to need upgraded on the system. Once all these areas are addressed, then you will more than likely need a tune to get the car running optimally. Good luck!
Old 12-05-2009, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, why anyone would take a modded civic over 100 on public roads is beyond me.

You're not on the salt flats, keep it too speed limits.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:58 AM

Icon2 Re: New to imports have an issue with top speed on a 2000 Si

well it has a full B16A2 swap aftermarket intake..throttle plate,fuel injs,header,MSD coil,6al.Fresh air intake..perf exh..adjustable pressure reg..
lots of weight taken out of a hatch 2156lbs. wo me.carbon fiber hood..new CXT flywheel..clutch...dropped about an inch with eibach springs and poly busings everywhere
I understand your concern about triple digits on the hi way but the only person that could have got hurt was me..i dont do these things lightly.
And im 50 and have been driveing cars that were a great deal faster than this little civic for over 30 years.No it doesnt make it legal,but it is what i make a living at.Dont want argue so please dont.
Im here trying to see if there is a work around on this thing rev limiter.Buick
regal turbo's had them as well in 87' and there was a way to get around it.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:06 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

You will need to have your ECU chipped/tuned to remove the factory speed limiter. Its as simple has desoldering a chip, adding a socket and then popping a custom burned chip into your ECU. Heres a link for a little more info...

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...ing/index.html
Old 12-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is something wrong with your speedometer, at 118mph, you should be at around 6800rpm not 4200rpm. It doesnt compute, look into putting another speedometer in your car first!!! what year is your hatch?
Old 12-05-2009, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, btw, Im pretty sure everyone in this forum swaps out their engines to put a B or a K engine in their car to drive it to the max legal speed limit... 55mph.... Oh, make sure you slam on your brakes immediately once you exit the highway, cause the new speed limit is 25mph or even 15mph at some exits....
Old 12-05-2009, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B16aEk4drbeater
Oh, btw, Im pretty sure everyone in this forum swaps out their engines to put a B or a K engine in their car to drive it to the max legal speed limit... 55mph.... Oh, make sure you slam on your brakes immediately once you exit the highway, cause the new speed limit is 25mph or even 15mph at some exits....

That is exactly what I was thinking. Who the hell drives a Honda just to get to the speed limits quickly. We have high rev reaction cars, not torque monsters. Even so, who wants to race to 55mph; although I personally don't like to drive at really high speeds for excess amounts of time, we do have to break the limit in order to have a fun race every now and then.

I really like what you said about the freeway exits too. Good stuff! LOL!
Old 12-05-2009, 07:47 AM

maybe i said it incorrectly in 5th gear at about 118 it was about 4200 that im sure of as it rann up to this limit very very quickly this car pulled hard.
Have done some reading and talking to the Honda guy and he said the ECU has a fuel cut off on the SI at 118 mph.Its a 2000 Hatch with full coverson,rear disc,dash cluster,etc.A very well done little car.Has Eibach springs and it sit well ride good to boot.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep pushing your luck man and you'll be out of a car and possibly your life. If you want to go fast hit the salt flats or track and use safety gear. Sounds lame but you'll thank it all when you can still walk away from a horrible crash. In addition, if you want to go faster and extended your speedo, buy a hondata and spend the money on stand alone. It is expensive but you will get what you are looking for and every map is your oyster.

Just be careful, you can't drive without legs or a head, remember that.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya just get it tuned. It will fix your issue with the fuel, and make it a few hp faster as well. With some internal mods and a good tuner, I've seen a 10-15 horse increase on b series motors pretty easily.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:32 AM

Icon3 Re: New to imports have an issue with top speed on a 2000 Si

okay guys i know about all the dont speed stuff...please stop..im 50 and have driven so much faster than 118 on the hi way- i never do it in traffic i always do it with an empty road.So stop your not as old as my kids,no one said i would survive 100+ mph crash.Less than 1/10 th of 1% do.I accept that as part of the deal of owning a non stock car,its like skydiveing,or bungie jumping ,huge rush and as long as you use common sense you will most times come out okay.
If someone can help me get around the fuel cut off im all ears,is there anything i can piggyback really all i want at this point is to get rid of the factory fuel cut off to give myself a baseline.So when i do put a hairdryer (turbo for you yung uns') on it i will see what gains i get.
And ps thats what i enjoy,in my day we called it top ending
Old 12-05-2009, 08:40 AM
New User

it also depends on the transmission check your codes on it that my be a problem as well
Old 12-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

4200 rpm @ 118mph in 5th gear is way too low on a b16 trans. You should be close to that at around 80-85 mph.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by quikcivic92
it also depends on the transmission check your codes on it that my be a problem as well
Manual transmission = no codes, they are obviously not computer controlled.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vtechjunkie
That is exactly what I was thinking. Who the hell drives a Honda just to get to the speed limits quickly. We have high rev reaction cars, not torque monsters. Even so, who wants to race to 55mph; although I personally don't like to drive at really high speeds for excess amounts of time, we do have to break the limit in order to have a fun race every now and then.

I really like what you said about the freeway exits too. Good stuff! LOL!
haha!!! Im in the Lexus IsF forum too and those bunch of pussies in there say the same bullshit," Why are you driving that fast on public roads? 25mph over the speed limit is ridiculous fast" Yeah, Im sure you bunch of ***s bought a 400+hp car to drive 5mph over the speed limit..... ****ing hate these type of ppl, I see soccer moms doing 30+ over the speed limit in their minivans all the time..... Driving fast doesnt kill,,,, its the moron thats doing the speed limit cutting you off that kills, Yeah its true that if you werent driving fast, you might have been able to avoid the accident, but why dont they just tell the moron thats driving "so called safe and sound at the speed limit" to watch where the **** he's cutting over to?? lol I see dumbass ppl driving speed limit thinking they are obeying the law but yet at the same time they are swerving around trying to text while driving, but yet, speeders like me get blamed for ALL accident!!!!
Old 12-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh and btw, all these ppl talk like you cant get killed when you drive the speed limit and crash......... I've seen cars flip over at 20mph, not trying to promote speeding or anything, but didnt you guys read that he did it on a open highway with nobody around??? I've driven cross country before from Philly to Cali and on some roads, you can see like 2 miles ahead of you on a nice flat 4-5 lane highway and you can probably blow by at 100mph+ for 15mins before you see the next car in front of you... Amtrak goes 90mph, why dont you go tell them if they go 50mph, the next time they de-rail, the accident wont be as horrific?
Old 12-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

subject at hand.. chip ur ecu. done and done
Old 12-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm a member of my local fire department and I've seen plenty of low speed accidents with fatalities. If you think because you're going slow then you'll survive then you're a moron. Kind of like people giving me **** for smoking, they're bad for me and ill die... I'm going to die anyways, and then the health nuts that drink all water, eat well and run 5 miles every morning, get hit by a bus on their morning run...I'm still alive and smoking and you're not.. GTFO!
Old 12-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FearTheH
I'm a member of my local fire department and I've seen plenty of low speed accidents with fatalities. If you think because you're going slow then you'll survive then you're a moron. Kind of like people giving me **** for smoking, they're bad for me and ill die... I'm going to die anyways, and then the health nuts that drink all water, eat well and run 5 miles every morning, get hit by a bus on their morning run...I'm still alive and smoking and you're not.. GTFO!
LOL!!!!!!:thum bup:
Old 12-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B16aEk4drbeater
haha!!! Im in the Lexus IsF forum too and those bunch of pussies in there say the same bullshit," Why are you driving that fast on public roads? 25mph over the speed limit is ridiculous fast" Yeah, Im sure you bunch of ***s bought a 400+hp car to drive 5mph over the speed limit..... ****ing hate these type of ppl, I see soccer moms doing 30+ over the speed limit in their minivans all the time..... Driving fast doesnt kill,,,, its the moron thats doing the speed limit cutting you off that kills, Yeah its true that if you werent driving fast, you might have been able to avoid the accident, but why dont they just tell the moron thats driving "so called safe and sound at the speed limit" to watch where the **** he's cutting over to?? lol I see dumbass ppl driving speed limit thinking they are obeying the law but yet at the same time they are swerving around trying to text while driving, but yet, speeders like me get blamed for ALL accident!!!!
By far one of the best posts I've seen! I couldn't agree with you more man...I feel the same.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IF you plan on building the motor even more with other mods, just get Hondata and reprogram your ECU to however you like. They are worth your money.

As for the speeding issue, you guys know going over the speed limit is illegal and you shouldn't be doing that kind of stuff on the streets anyway. You are attracting attention to the cops and further reinforcing in the COPS mind that all fixed up hondas are trouble. Plus, you are possibly going to kill not only yourself, but others...possibly people like me minding my own business. The point is, it's illegal, you aren't suppose to do it anyway. Major difference between speeding and other accidents?

1. SPEEDING: YOU are upping the percentage of causing the accident
2. All other scenarios (minus texting or anything that might distract you) was not intentional and was an accident due to bad odds or other people hitting you.

By speeding or racing, you are increasing your chances and other peopel's chances INTENTIONALLY, all the other ways are just freak accidents or just plain unlucky to other people not paying attention. Let's not add to the chances of killing people or ruining other lives...whatever you argue, you can't deny the fact that racing or speeding on public roads will increase chances of getting hurt...even if it's empty and you hit a guard rail...you are wasting my tax dollars to have to fix that thing, but I'm sure they'll fine you for that. For the post above me...I'm lumping those a-holes who text and talk on the phone with the speeders, people who up the chances of others getting hurt. You are just the same as they are.

I build my car for track use at button willow, simple as that, and to compete with others on that same level. If you speed or race, hey your own deal, but you are making Hondas look bad and possibly killing a mother or a father and ruining a family. Whatever, your choice, natural selection.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought the USDM engines didn't have a speed limiter? Do you know if your ECU is from a JDM engine? My JDM GSR swap topped out at about 120 mph, but I had it removed when the engine was rebuilt and tuned with Hondata. Also, My buddy has '99 Si with the stock engine and there's no speed limiter on it either.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your private messages.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Weifast
IF you plan on building the motor even more with other mods, just get Hondata and reprogram your ECU to however you like. They are worth your money.

As for the speeding issue, you guys know going over the speed limit is illegal and you shouldn't be doing that kind of stuff on the streets anyway. You are attracting attention to the cops and further reinforcing in the COPS mind that all fixed up hondas are trouble. Plus, you are possibly going to kill not only yourself, but others...possibly people like me minding my own business. The point is, it's illegal, you aren't suppose to do it anyway. Major difference between speeding and other accidents?

1. SPEEDING: YOU are upping the percentage of causing the accident
2. All other scenarios (minus texting or anything that might distract you) was not intentional and was an accident due to bad odds or other people hitting you.

By speeding or racing, you are increasing your chances and other peopel's chances INTENTIONALLY, all the other ways are just freak accidents or just plain unlucky to other people not paying attention. Let's not add to the chances of killing people or ruining other lives...whatever you argue, you can't deny the fact that racing or speeding on public roads will increase chances of getting hurt...even if it's empty and you hit a guard rail...you are wasting my tax dollars to have to fix that thing, but I'm sure they'll fine you for that. For the post above me...I'm lumping those a-holes who text and talk on the phone with the speeders, people who up the chances of others getting hurt. You are just the same as they are.

I build my car for track use at button willow, simple as that, and to compete with others on that same level. If you speed or race, hey your own deal, but you are making Hondas look bad and possibly killing a mother or a father and ruining a family. Whatever, your choice, natural selection.

Well not all of us are able to make it to a track on a regular occasion. Besides, if you tell me that you never tap v-tec on the streets, then I would have to call you a liar. Furthermore, What you are speaking of(us giving honda drivers a bad name) is profiling, and it's as illegal as breaking the speed limit. So if you are being pulled over for our poor driving, then I think yo were either doing something you weren't supposed to do, or...... maybe you have a case of profiling on your hands. Either way it's not our fault, so get over it. I'm going to speed extra tomorrow just for this thread. LOL!

Quick Reply: New to imports have an issue with top speed on a 2000 Si