Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new to honda tech

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to honda tech

hey guys i'm a truck guy but i'm now just gettin in to hondas my girlfriend has a 95 honda civic ex and i want to do some stuff to it but i dont know enough about hondas to know what is good....i'll take any advice on what to do i'm mechanically inclined so i can do about any thing any help would be appriciated
Old 07-02-2006, 05:03 PM

Default Re: new to honda tech (slide150)

depends on what you want to do. all motor,boost,swap. the possibilities are endless. boost is probly the cheapest way to get lots of power the cheapest. if you blow the motor on boost , you can get another d16z6 pretty cheap. if you go all motor with the stock motor, get ready to dish out some money because it will cost to make your motor put down strong numbers. b series swap would be the ideal swap. just look at the top of the fourm in the facts section and use the red search button top right before you post a question. for best results look for archived topics and you wont go wrong. i hope this helps. also you can download a complete manual for you car at http://www.hondahookup.com. for free. good luck
Old 07-02-2006, 05:15 PM

Default Re: new to honda tech (SRd240sx)

altezzas, muffler, obx intake? these sound like most stupid suggestions i ever heard. dont do this or you might turn into a big grain of rice. keep your car looking as stock as possible. dont waste money on stupid mods like this. if you want to go with body kits, dont go half *** or it will look stupid. get a real intake not an obx. all these mods are cheap ebay bullshit. dont get performence parts on ebay because 90% of the suck(no name headers,springs.ecu chips) you will be sorry. and dont take advice about your car from nissan owners who shop ebay.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SRd240sx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">altezzas, muffler, obx intake.. all good starter mods for your girl's 95 civic</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahahahahahahahaehahahahaehhahahah
Old 07-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new to honda tech (DSRxNATE)

if youre down.

slam the car. get some "JDM" rims haha. take out that junky *** motor and put a k20 motor in. get all your suspensions bars and some carbon fiber. then take some pictures. then end. good luck.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new to honda tech (IVAN93EG)

Listen to this guy ^^^ he seems to know what he is talking about!
"dont take advice about your car from nissan owners who shop ebay." that **** was to funny, but true....LOL
Old 07-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SRd240sx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">altezzas, muffler, obx intake.. all good starter mods for your girl's 95 civic</TD></TR></TABLE>
What hell, I would like to see this guys car...LOL...RICE MACHINE! hahahahaha!
Old 07-02-2006, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blah, don't listen to either one of them...you don't need ur aztella taillights (the Rx-8 style) on ur civic and you don't have to worry about boost... Sadly, without a turbo (or some form of FI, whether it be turbo or supercharger) the D16Y8 has very little potential - You will read about some people that have all motor D16Z6's and D16Y8 (basicaly the same engine) putting out like 200hp, but you'll have to drop some $$$ into this to get to that level on an all motor D16 - If you really want to get more power out of the setup, you can do the basics, intake/headers/exhaust (probably about $300 if you spend about 50-75 on headers, 40 or so on intake, and 200 or so on a catback exhaust system..

From there you'll have to work up the internals before you can do anything else.. You can try to go boost (forced induction) using your stock internals (pistons/rods, valves, etc.) but I give the engine 2 months before she goes to pass somebody and throws a rod - which is the good thing about that motor - it's cheap as hell (whole long block motor/tranny is like $400 with low miles...).. So after basic intakes/headers/exhaust it'll probably be putting about 115 down at the wheels :-\... Yea, from there you'll have to start on internals in my personal opinion, seen too many people throw rods or spin bearings running turbos w/ low boost and good tunes on stock, low mileage internals..but then again there's lots of pple who run 5lbs of boost on a daily driver and their engine is absolutely fine..but in my opinion that's pushing the limits, I rather run 10lbs on a well built setup that doesn't cost you much..

You said you're a truck guy..I'm more of a V8 enthusiast (trans ams and camaros) myself (and rather new to hondas and 4 bangers ) so I'm probably in a similiar boat as you - Basically if you want more power out of that motor ur looking at internal work, and you know how that rolls, forged rods, aftermarket bearings, high compression pistons, high compression valves, aftermarket valve setups, aftermarket cam and camgear, replace those, headgasket, & timing belt and you can easily run a decent ammount of boost on that engine... I don't know much about making that engine do **** all 300 hp without a turbo so you'll have to turn to somebody else for that - probably bore and stroke it...

Good Luck, theyr'e hard to get power out of - start with the intake/header/exhaust and see how it feels from there..
Old 07-02-2006, 05:34 PM

Default Re: new to honda tech (jdm_bones)

bet he drives a big grain of rice with wheels and alteezas. oh and a muffler
Old 07-02-2006, 06:18 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

hey syndicate he has a z6 not a y8 and both have tons of potental. i was not getting into details of how to build a turbo motor, just giving him options. other than that i agree with everything you said. with a few mods to the compression and intake manifold/exhaust/cams and tuning. 150whp is not impossible for way less than a b16.ls rods and zc pistons , maybey a little port n polish and you could have a pretty stout little d series. im sure you know all this but he might not.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:42 PM

Hey what up im lokking through the post and i see you know your stuff give me some advice im trying to hook up my 1997 honda civc where i should look for parts and whats good and whats not
Old 07-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (IVAN93EG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IVAN93EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey syndicate he has a z6 not a y8 and both have tons of potental. i was not getting into details of how to build a turbo motor, just giving him options. other than that i agree with everything you said. with a few mods to the compression and intake manifold/exhaust/cams and tuning. 150whp is not impossible for way less than a b16.ls rods and zc pistons , maybey a little port n polish and you could have a pretty stout little d series. im sure you know all this but he might not.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I wouldn't know - I know very little about all motoring a D16, guess I should spend some time in the all motor forum to find out..but I have a feeling i"m just gonna find a lot of GSR's and B16's there..

HOw much do you pay to get it port and polished? Last time I tooka big block 440 to a machine shop (because I didn't (and still don't) know how to do it myself) they wanted to charge me up the *** for it - I was like "fuckkkkk that, just bore it"

EDIT:
PS: I consider the D16Z6 and the D16Y8 the same, as well as the B18a and the B18b, very low hp differences, same block, basically same head (bit diff) basically same engine..., that's just my opinion on them..

I still like the Z6 better opposed to the Y8 because of the way the IM flows
Old 07-02-2006, 08:05 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

wow syndicate. i see you have been around for a while on h-t. have you ever read spades sohc upgrade in the faq section. he seems to think the exact opposite of what you think as far as intake manifolds are concerned. i belive he calls the y8 intake manifold "THE TYPE R MANIFOLD"of the d series. everything i said is in the faq section in this forum.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (IVAN93EG)

i stopped reading at the first comment welcome to h-t
Old 07-02-2006, 10:00 PM

Default Re: new to honda tech (DSRxNATE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DSRxNATE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if youre down.

slam the car. get some "JDM" rims haha. take out that junky *** motor and put a k20 motor in. get all your suspensions bars and some carbon fiber. then take some pictures. then end. good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

k20's blow
Old 07-02-2006, 10:09 PM

Default Re: new to honda tech

just read the posts sticked to the top of this board

then, take a good look around and look what could suit your or your girl's needs and desires .

btw: what you see here is a perfect conflict between
"hell, my car's gotta be jdm, [no matter if those rims look like my trashcan's cover, they're from japan!!!11!" &lt;-&gt; "your steeenky car doesn't have a biiig air intake, not even biiiiig mighty bumpers. eeek!! your lights shine the same color they originally did ! get some pink bulb covers"

no disrespect
Old 07-02-2006, 10:26 PM

god damn altezzas? wtf, lets not turn him into a ricer.. if you want looks go to password jdm.com and they have all kinds of stuff but i would start with a motor swap and then move on to wheels and such.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:29 PM

Default Re: (Vtec4me)

i would start with brakes and suspension first so you can handle the power.just my own opinion.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:44 PM

Location: riCk jAmes BitCh 415 fRisKo 2 cAstRo yAy aREa, CA, usa
Default Re: new to honda tech (slide150)

welcome aboard, i'm new here too, i was bored at home n decided to make a honda-tech account kool dude
Old 07-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new to honda tech (mustangsrule)

slide150: I got where your coming from. I just got into tuning civics a lil less than a year ago. I was tired of seeing them and just didn't want one. well luck have be, i needed a car after a year with my 96 cavalier. and the 93 eg I have now was cheap, AC, and MPG was the treat I liked. Well, I love tuning, I had bored and did motor work to my Chevy, and this was my 1st honda, and NOT my last. But NO, NO, NO altezza, i had mine for a week and I had to re-silicone them and they look like crap. muffler, that's your choice, I have full exhaust on mine, but everyone has the muffler going, so why not you, lol. headers, NO, they don't give you but like 4 more hp, and alot of quick d-series I have seen have stock headers. D-series are cheap, good on gas, and turboed can kick some azz. I'm a big on power guy too, but when my uncles rebuilt, full drag race car ALMOST loss to a dam turbod16, I felt like just giving up with all motor building. plus when he said under $5k got him the whole thing, car, turbo, slicks, roll cage, everything. swaps are old, too much money for other things to buy.

puertoroc7976: ebay is where I get my simple crap from. like rear view mirrors, some OEM used parts(cuz honda will rip you off, new is just as good as used, it's Honda, lol). but like motors, performance, coilovers and all. there's plenty. I have picked up alot of my stuff used from local tuners for cheap, some going back to stock or going to a new format on their rides and all. check around the local tuner network, hondacivicforums.com has classifieds and all. maybe something there. ram intakes, ECUs, and stuff that is made to last or not for show, go used. save the money for other upgrades that need to be new, or for GAS, lol. if you need more sites, someone or I will send some more your way.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new to honda tech (y2kferari)

oh, whoever said k20s blow, get the hell otu of h-t, k20s are the swap to get now, hello. k20s are not NEEDED for great performance, and I wouldn't just throw one in any car(cuz the work and order of special parts, reverse headers and stuff). but k20s are the DOHC engine I recommend, and so does everyone else that knows what potential means. good luck figuring out why.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:57 AM

hey whatup im arod i have a question i have a honda civic 1997 d16y7 im wondering if its a vtec and if it isnt can i install a vtec solenoid
Old 07-04-2006, 09:00 AM

Default Re: (EkSi)

hi do you know anything about a vtec engine can i install a vtec solenoid i have a 1997 honda civic d16y7 sohc
Old 07-04-2006, 09:01 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IVAN93EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">altezzas, muffler, obx intake? these sound like most stupid suggestions i ever heard. : </TD></TR></TABLE>
He was being sarcastic...but he was also being much less than helpful.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new to honda tech (George Knighton)

what do you want to do man.. performance, appearance? that's like going to the gym without a goal. lose weight? gain mass?

tell us your goal. u wanna be the fastest guy on the block, u wanna be able to keep up with stock GSRs, what's your goal?

Quick Reply: new to honda tech