Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New Honda with a nightmare of a wire harness...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Honda with a nightmare of a wire harness...

Bought a clapped out 2000 civic ex coupe as a work beater/project. When I bought the car I could tell it was gonna be a hassle, body panels show its been in an accident, springs are chopped, brakes are shot, interior was disgustingly dirty, anything fabric was shredding, speaker wires cut from previous system, no radio just a loose radio cluster and a whole host of other issues.

My issue is the wire harness situation. It should have a d16y8 in it, it has a d16y7 with an undisclosed amount of miles on it instead. No big deal right? Nope, there are tons of plugs in the engine bay jumped, ports plugged, wires exposed, twist connectors everywhere. The dash gauges work, the blinkers work and thats it, no CEL, no headlight indicator nothing. The harness in the dash and on the floor is almost worst than the engine, twist connectors and open/cut wires everywhere. I want nothing to do with the previous owners attempts, its FUBAR. Tried to match it up with a 99-00 ex and/or dx wire diagram and it looks like the previous owner spliced the y7 harness into the y8 along with a shitty security system and his amp/sub/speaker.

My plan is a fun car for the track and weekend cruises, with ac and a stereo. Going to put a b18 in it soon using a rywire engine harness. My question is on the dash/floor/chassis harness. I've found tons of names and conflicting info for the harnesses that aren't the engine harness. Front harness, rear harness, dash harness, floor harness, chassis harness, cabin harness. I want to replace every bit of wiring in the dash, what else do I need from the engine harness back? Sorry if this has been asked before, but with all the misinformation/conflicting info on this and other honda forums its hard to decipher all that against the rats nest I have right now
Old 08-07-2019, 07:19 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 222 Likes on 199 Posts
Default Re: New Honda with a nightmare of a wire harness...

if that car has that much of a wiring headache, I wouldn't even bother. Going after someone's shotty work isn't worth the hassle, most of the time. By the time you're halfway done figuring it out, you likely already had second thoughts/buyer's remorse about the purchase. Been there, done that. People that do halfass work shouldn't even touch cars.
Old 08-07-2019, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by NVturbo
if that car has that much of a wiring headache, I wouldn't even bother. Going after someone's shotty work isn't worth the hassle, most of the time. By the time you're halfway done figuring it out, you likely already had second thoughts/buyer's remorse about the purchase. Been there, done that. People that do halfass work shouldn't even touch cars.
Stop talking about me, mang.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:16 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 222 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Freedo_Civegra
Stop talking about me, mang.
haha...my bad.