Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

NEW TO HONDA!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW TO HONDA!!!

Hey everyone

I just picked up my very first Honda. it is a 1995 DX Coupe. I found it here in CA from and original owner who bought it new in 1995. Here are some pics. i do have questions to anyone who has installed a NR-G Quick release kit. HOW DO U GUYS/GIRLS LIKE UM?? Hope to hear from you all. Thanks.

ZEK

Old 05-27-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Re: NEW TO HONDA!!! (latinJDM)

welcome, looks like you got a good base, also smart idea installing security first.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:26 PM

Congrats and welcome to the Honda family. Car looks really clean, throw some wheels on and it will look great.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Red94Sol)

welcome to the honda Family!! now security is a good thing.. you may want to add this to your security list...

Slim quick release Hub
Quick release
Quick release Lock
Decent 2 way pager alarm with back up siren
Jimmy Jammer
Auto Club
Kill switches
un-hook and relocate your hood latch cable
Sleep in your car
Old 05-28-2007, 12:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks better than 99.99999999% of the coupes I see around FL. PLEASE do not rice it out.....k?
Old 05-28-2007, 03:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

car looks good
Old 05-28-2007, 03:41 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: (jdmbotnik.)

welcome bro, first things first.. your on the right track.. secuirty and installing your own ****.

Your ahead of the game.. as far as the steering wheel, goto autozone/etc and rent a steering wheel puller, remove the column around the steering wheel, you will see everything needed bolt wise, you remove the airbag, and then the steering wheel nut, then pop the column with the tool.. its on there hard so you gotta get on it.. watch out for your windshield. Also make sure you disconnect your battery and unplug all the yellow srs connectors,

then putting the wheel on is the hub, the qucik release, and then the steering wheel itself, just bolts, really simple.. you get hung up or unsure give me a pm

good luck bro,
whats the plans for the car...

&&

and a note on mods.. it's your car, you have every right to do what you want, yet it's not a trick of the magi that everyone here that has been nodding for years and years general has the same mind track when it comes to mods.

clean
effective
wall balanced

Old 05-28-2007, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GarageAlchemist)

Don't know if this was mentioned or not, but you should cover up your license plate in pics you place online.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:02 AM

Default Re: (solbrothers)

Welcome to the honda world and welcome to h-t.... as for the quick release... whats more important to you.... the saftey of your car... or your safety? its true its a good security measure.. but unless you have a cage and harnessess i dont really see why you would have to take off your airbags... but thats only my opinion...
Old 05-28-2007, 08:42 AM

I hear the 3 point safety belt system w/o airbag is safer than just an airbag and stock seatbelt. So maybe, do the steering wheel delete mod and get some cheap race seats from this forums classifieds.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:03 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: (RighteousMidwest)

racing seats and a harness only work if you have a WELL built roll cage. The reason being is when you flip your car, the factory system is designed to let you be crushed without dying. I harness type system the roof collapses but you don't.

that kinda kills you.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:23 AM

I guess that would suck. But still the harness would still be better for side or head on collisions with out rolling right?
Old 05-28-2007, 10:06 AM
SlowCivic29

how many rolled civics have you seen?

He also didnt come in here asking what the best shot of nos is to run on his new whip, that he baught 4 minutes ago, and he'll be online in a few hours after he figures out how to mount the wing and where he wants the APC sticker to go. So i'm sure hes not gunna be one of those "special cases of a rollover."
Old 05-28-2007, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SlowCivic29)

welcome, buying from the original user is <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GarageAlchemist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

clean
effective
wall balanced

</TD></TR></TABLE>

good way to put it. What are your plans? Update us.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Re: (Boost_V)

welcome and goodluck on hookin it up.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks great.

I wish 95's looked that clean in Upstate NY.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you should block the plates out. ;]
Old 05-28-2007, 03:20 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GarageAlchemist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">goto autozone/etc and rent a steering wheel puller</TD></TR></TABLE>
You definitely don't need to waste money on that.

I have pulled about 20 steering wheels, both with and without airbags, and have never needed one. It takes 30 seconds to pull a non-SRS wheel, and 2 minutes to pull an SRS wheel
Old 05-29-2007, 06:54 AM

Not understanding the schematics of how a steering wheel is held on to the column. Any details? One guy says its so very easy while others say its a pita. I have never even thought about doing it, so I never studied how it was assembled. Why is it supposedly so hard or easy?
Old 05-29-2007, 06:58 AM

after the security drop in a bseries engine and get a good set of rims and tires and your ready for the track
Old 05-29-2007, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEW TO HONDA!!! (latinJDM)

To the OP,

Invest in security first, since Honda's are the #1 steal for thieves. Lock it up with all the necessary security systems. Then when your satisfied, start making plans on what you want to do with your car, doing mods and etc. Good find and clean
Old 05-29-2007, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEW TO HONDA!!! (VTECth1s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECth1s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... start making plans on what you want to do with your car, doing mods and etc. Good find and clean </TD></TR></TABLE>

^^ and be sure that those "mods" include a USDM motor if you choose to go that route or a CARB certified turbo kit or you will be in a world of hurt with smog emission drama.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEW TO HONDA!!! (95ProjectEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

^^ and be sure that those "mods" include a USDM motor if you choose to go that route or a CARB certified turbo kit or you will be in a world of hurt with smog emission drama. </TD></TR></TABLE>

x2, either way JDM or USDM get it bar'd legal if your in CA, not sure how emission laws are in other states. Greddy and Edelbrock have carb certified turbo kits I think, but orrect me if I'm wrong. USDM motor's are a less hassle to have bar'd legal, but JDM motors are a bit of a headache and takes some $$ to get it bar'd legal. GL
Old 05-29-2007, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: NEW TO HONDA!!! (VTECth1s)

... reminds me of my first civic coupe... bought it from the first owner for 550 dollars! condition as good as the one posted... bone stock.. same year... same color... same model... man i miss that baby! i went mini me turbo! it was tons-o-fun.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:42 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RighteousMidwest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not understanding the schematics of how a steering wheel is held on to the column. Any details? One guy says its so very easy while others say its a pita. I have never even thought about doing it, so I never studied how it was assembled. Why is it supposedly so hard or easy?</TD></TR></TABLE>
The steering wheel is physically held to the column by a single 19mm Nylock nut. Once you remove the nut, there is nothing holding it down. The wheel occasionally sticks to the splined hub when removing it, but I have never pulled a wheel from a Honda that didn't either come right off, or require a tap from a mallet to loosen. If you have trouble, just leave the nut on but loose - that way if you have to yank at it, it wont come off and smack you in the face.

Make sure to disconnect your battery terminals and allow a few minutes for residual power to discharge before messing with the SRS. Getting hit in the face unexpectedly with an exploding airbag is going to hurt.

First off, center the steering wheel so that you will be putting the new wheel/hub on in the same orientation. Try not to turn it too much while you're working so that you don't end up losing the center and installing the new hub a few splines off (if you do though, it's no big deal to pull the new hub and re-orient it).

To remove an SRS wheel without cruise control, you just pry off the cover on either side of the wheel to expose the two T-30 Torx bolts that hold the airbag. On some wheels there is also a cover held by screws on the bottom of the wheel where you can access the yellow airbag connector and a red short-out plug to disable the bag while it is disconnected. Once you have the Torx bolts out and the bag unplugged, it will pull right off of the wheel.

Now you just undo the 19mm Nylock nut, and pull the wheel off - it will still be connected to the SRS cable reel, which must be unscrewed from the steering column and unplugged under the dash.

Edit: Look here, someone already has an article with photos: http://importnut.net/civicsteeringswap.htm

Quick Reply: NEW TO HONDA!!!