Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new here. getting a 95 si. new to honda yrs later

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new here. getting a 95 si. new to honda yrs later

sup folks. names jason. from jersey
looking to buy a 95 civic si. unfortunately i dont know much bout the honda game.
had a 95 ex back in the day.
now im looking a 95 buble with b16 swap
unfortunately i dont know what that means, or whats in the engine bay or what kinda power im looking at.
hopefully its decent.
never liked the way the civics made much noise with muffler but didnt really move too fast.
i been in vw world for a while. vr6 and turbo
but now im coming back.
forgive the lack of knowledge.
hopefully i can learn as i go...
Old 02-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new here. getting a 95 si. new to honda yrs later

Originally Posted by slitterman
unfortunately i dont know what that means, or whats in the engine bay or what kinda power im looking at.
b16 swaps are one of the most common swaps, dohc vtec heres a quote from the FAQ for you:

B16
These can be found in the JDM SIR and SIRII (among other JDM cars, which I don't claim to know all of which it came in) as well as the USDM 99-00 SI (EM1) and the 99-00 Canadian SIR. They can also be found in the Del Sol VTEC (thanks NinetySevenDC2 and Syndacate).

Pros
160 hp stock
High RPM power
Fairly inexpensive
Good transmission
DOHC VTEC

Cons
113ft/lbs torque (very little more than a D16z6 stock)
Without knowing what you're looking for you can end up with a high mileage JDM model
Under 4k or so it feels just like a D16
and really, a quality exhaust will seperate you from the rest of the bumblebees. look into an apexi ws2 system.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for reply bud.
i kinda figured it was a common swap cuz i see alot of em with the b16 swap
guessn the d16 is a slow stock engine? so mine will be little quicker than stock?
ill def be checking into exhaust. i like power over noise. no power, dont need noise. some power, id like a little sound, not soo much noise.
but as a noob, who am i to want right...
thanks again for reply
Old 02-08-2010, 12:54 PM

do an h22 swap
Old 02-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, anything D series that isnt turbo is usually pretty slow. B series has much more potential IMO, better technology and makes quite a bit more horsepower stock. and you mentioned a turbo vr6 from the vw world, just a thought- b16s have been proven to be quite stout under boost, check out the forced induction forum. im beginning to build my own b16 turbo as well.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eatsleephonda90
do an h22 swap
those are fun swaps, but if he already has a b16 in his car it wouldnt be very cost effective. always an option though i guess.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:41 PM

welcome to the game, enjoy your "bubble," I sure do mine!
Old 02-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

post pics as soon as you get her/him!
Old 02-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

will do
Old 02-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

B16 DOHC VTEC. If the swap is legit then you got a clean hatch. S**T B16 swap, got the expensive stuff done already.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

? question?
owner said check engine light is on because of a stock p28 computer???
that i need to take car to get chipped cuz of the stock computer not reading the new motor???
does this make sense?
do i buy and then look for a guy to chip it, and check engine goes away??
thanks for any help here
Old 02-09-2010, 02:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

? question?
owner said check engine light is on because of a stock p28 computer???
that i need to take car to get chipped cuz of the stock computer not reading the new motor???
does this make sense?
do i buy and then look for a guy to chip it, and check engine goes away??
thanks for any help here
a stock p28 comes in the 92-95 civic with d16z6 (vtec) so the cel is on because the ecu isnt equipped to run dohc vtec but its capable to do it.. if you dont want to buy a chipped ecu then just throw a stock p72 (acura integra gsr) ecu make sure its odb1 and u should have no problems. how much does he want for the car??

and the bubble is a 92-95 civic hatchback
Old 02-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by noremorseracing
a stock p28 comes in the 92-95 civic with d16z6 (vtec) so the cel is on because the ecu isnt equipped to run dohc vtec but its capable to do it..
A P28 wont throw a CEL just by using it to run a B16, it wont really run right due to incorrect fuel and timing maps, but it wont throw a CEL, theres something else going on, see what CEL is being thrown then go from there.

if you dont want to buy a chipped ecu then just throw a stock p72 (acura integra gsr) ecu make sure its odb1 and u should have no problems.
Or he could just run a P30 from a '94 - '95 Del Sol VTEC, you know, the one that actually goes with the engine.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright, well i passed on the 95. that one had check engine, bad shocks, funny clutch, motor tied down with some straps??? body looked good but the rest was questionable.
so i did buy, a 94.
WHITE HATCH , WHITE DUCKBILL , STOCK JDM B16 2000 ENGINE ,DC HEADERS, APEXI MUFFLER, ICEMAN PLASTIC INTAKE, HASPORT MOTOR MOUNTS ,JDM 2000 TYPE R TRANNY 4.785 FINAL DRIVE , SKUNK 2 SPRINGS ON TOKIKOS SHOCKS , 1996 GSR INTEGRA FRONT SEATS, INTEGRA TYPE R REAR SEATS, SI RIMS MINT
this is whats in my driveway now. just beat the snow...
anyway, this is the one dude said needs chip to clear light and get the comp to read the motor right. he seemed to know alot about hondas. i am new and do not know much, but this engine had motor mounts...much better then the string..
so i have check engine and srs lights on
need to change interior, id like integra leathers.
need to find out why horn dont work
need a little body work....rear passenger side has quarter or so size of rot.
need little black molding on driver side fender
NEED ignition and plastic that should be there. apparentley they tried to steal the car. so now it looks like i stole it.
guess i should give it a tune up too.
once these are done and fixed, i will order some coilovers
hope i can get these things fixed so i can pass jersey inspection
Old 02-10-2010, 02:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Or he could just run a P30 from a '94 - '95 Del Sol VTEC, you know, the one that actually goes with the engine.
the p72 is a lil easier to find
Old 02-10-2010, 02:48 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

alright, well i passed on the 95. that one had check engine, bad shocks, funny clutch, motor tied down with some straps??? body looked good but the rest was questionable.
so i did buy, a 94.
WHITE HATCH , WHITE DUCKBILL , STOCK JDM B16 2000 ENGINE ,DC HEADERS, APEXI MUFFLER, ICEMAN PLASTIC INTAKE, HASPORT MOTOR MOUNTS ,JDM 2000 TYPE R TRANNY 4.785 FINAL DRIVE , SKUNK 2 SPRINGS ON TOKIKOS SHOCKS , 1996 GSR INTEGRA FRONT SEATS, INTEGRA TYPE R REAR SEATS, SI RIMS MINT
this is whats in my driveway now. just beat the snow...
anyway, this is the one dude said needs chip to clear light and get the comp to read the motor right. he seemed to know alot about hondas. i am new and do not know much, but this engine had motor mounts...much better then the string..
so i have check engine and srs lights on
need to change interior, id like integra leathers.
need to find out why horn dont work
need a little body work....rear passenger side has quarter or so size of rot.
need little black molding on driver side fender
NEED ignition and plastic that should be there. apparentley they tried to steal the car. so now it looks like i stole it.
guess i should give it a tune up too.
once these are done and fixed, i will order some coilovers
hope i can get these things fixed so i can pass jersey inspection
srs is air bag... and check to see what the number is on your ecu (the middle of the top letters starts with a P ). autozone can check your CEL(check engine light) also does it have A/C if not then id double check on them leathers your gonna hate it in the dead of the summer
Old 02-10-2010, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for reply. i appreciate any and all help.
ill check the ecu when snow stops looks like we are gettin 20+
thanks for the heads up on the leather and summer time. didnt think about that. no air, so it would probley suck when its hot.

as for the chip or ecu. is it easier to find a p72, put it in and be good
or should i try and and find the p30 because its what should be with motor
or should i have a shop put a chip in my ecu?

kid said they sell a spoon chip or another name i dont remember, that a shop would sodder into my ecu?
just looking for whats best to do in this situation..
when i get the car on the road ill head to autozone and have them scan it and see what comes back

thanks again for help folks
Old 02-10-2010, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get yourself a jdm p30, I found a couple 6-7 months agao for $100-150, which is around what you would find a P28, they are pretty reasonable and made for the jdm b16a engine. Usually the swaps I have seen with a CEL, is because nobody likes to take the time to run wire for and hookup knock sensor on back of block.
Check the FAQ section here to find out how to read the codes yourself from home, I am pretty sure its because the knock sensor is not hookedup.
And the SRS light on combined with no horn, my bet would be a bad clockspring behind the steering wheel.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My friend, do what everyone is saying and go with the P30 ecu. You can either get one from a USDM B16 Del Sol which makes it a long box. Or you could find one that is JDM which would be considered a short box. Only difference is a physical difference one is obviously shorted then the other. Also, correct me if i am wrong, but my JDM P30 has a higher rev limiter of 8200 RPMs. The Usdm may only be 7200-7500. which also goes with the P72 (GSR ECU) The B16 motor was made to rev a lot higher then the GSR/LS motor etc, due to the reason they have lighter skinnier rods and no bottom end cradle.

As for the spoon chips they are JUNK! Your dude was just saying that to make it sound easier for him to sell the car. They have garbage fuel maps and make your 4 banger guzzle gas like a Fu**ing Suburban.

I regards to the Check engine light. Under the dash on the passenger side (usually on the right side of the glove box right under the "A" pillar) you will see two blue plugs. If un-tampered with they will still be in a little green boot thing. Take these out and use a "Paperclip" to jump across the blue clip with 2 slots. Between the 2 plugs, there is plug with "3" slots and one with "2" slots. Jump the paperclip between the two slots on the "2" slotted plug. This will take you constant "check engine light" and make it flash. you will have to count the number of flashes.

Not it gets trickier.

there are 2 sets of flashes.

A long flash and a short flash

The long flash = 10

The short flash = 1

Simply count and add the flashes and go to the manual or online and check out Obd-1 ecu codes. and it will tell you what is wrong.

http://www.hondahookup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=115614

http://www.hondata.com/techecucodes.html

Because I am nice, I did your homework for you.

the plugs may be blue or gray. Have fun and let us know what your problem was, so we get the scooop on what the lazy kids are doing these days.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:40 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

thanks for reply. i appreciate any and all help.
ill check the ecu when snow stops looks like we are gettin 20+
thanks for the heads up on the leather and summer time. didnt think about that. no air, so it would probley suck when its hot.

as for the chip or ecu. is it easier to find a p72, put it in and be good
or should i try and and find the p30 because its what should be with motor
or should i have a shop put a chip in my ecu?

kid said they sell a spoon chip or another name i dont remember, that a shop would sodder into my ecu?
just looking for whats best to do in this situation..
when i get the car on the road ill head to autozone and have them scan it and see what comes back

thanks again for help folks
if u want go on ebay they have chipped ecu's look for one with a datalog port so u can tune it yourself u can add a 2 step and change where the vtec hits and your rev limiter, get rid of every sensor, all that **** ... if u trust sum one with a soldering iron then buy a chip off ebay and chip the p28 but my advice would b find one with a datalog..

if u get the p30 its only stock for the b16 if u want a little bit more umph get the datalog one its anywhere from $175-$250 vs $125-$150 for a p30- p72

plus u can sell the p28 when your done with it for $75-$150
Old 02-10-2010, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ys1civicsi
My friend, do what everyone is saying and go with the P30 ecu. You can either get one from a USDM B16 Del Sol which makes it a long box. Or you could find one that is JDM which would be considered a short box. Only difference is a physical difference one is obviously shorted then the other. Also, correct me if i am wrong, but my JDM P30 has a higher rev limiter of 8200 RPMs. The Usdm may only be 7200-7500. which also goes with the P72 (GSR ECU) The B16 motor was made to rev a lot higher then the GSR/LS motor etc, due to the reason they have lighter skinnier rods and no bottom end cradle.

As for the spoon chips they are JUNK! Your dude was just saying that to make it sound easier for him to sell the car. They have garbage fuel maps and make your 4 banger guzzle gas like a Fu**ing Suburban.

I regards to the Check engine light. Under the dash on the passenger side (usually on the right side of the glove box right under the "A" pillar) you will see two blue plugs. If un-tampered with they will still be in a little green boot thing. Take these out and use a "Paperclip" to jump across the blue clip with 2 slots. Between the 2 plugs, there is plug with "3" slots and one with "2" slots. Jump the paperclip between the two slots on the "2" slotted plug. This will take you constant "check engine light" and make it flash. you will have to count the number of flashes.

Not it gets trickier.

there are 2 sets of flashes.

A long flash and a short flash

The long flash = 10

The short flash = 1

Simply count and add the flashes and go to the manual or online and check out Obd-1 ecu codes. and it will tell you what is wrong.

http://www.hondahookup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=115614

http://www.hondata.com/techecucodes.html

Because I am nice, I did your homework for you.

the plugs may be blue or gray. Have fun and let us know what your problem was, so we get the scooop on what the lazy kids are doing these days.

damn dude. thanks. very helpfull info. due to the amounts of snow falling, ill have to wait till weekend to try playing with the paper clip.
i appreciate the help. and i just sold 82 chevy with 350 for a civic.. dont wanna eat gas in this like i did in that.
thanks again.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if u want go on ebay they have chipped ecu's look for one with a datalog port so u can tune it yourself u can add a 2 step and change where the vtec hits and your rev limiter, get rid of every sensor, all that **** ... if u trust sum one with a soldering iron then buy a chip off ebay and chip the p28 but my advice would b find one with a datalog..

if u get the p30 its only stock for the b16 if u want a little bit more umph get the datalog one its anywhere from $175-$250 vs $125-$150 for a p30- p72

plus u can sell the p28 when your done with it for $75-$150

i guess ill have to start the hunt for a datalog ecu.
now i may sound dumb, but i dont know, so il ask, am i looking for a datalog p30 ecu? or just a datalog ecu for a 94 civic? or a datalog ecu for b16??
guess it would help if i knew what im looking for...
forgive my lack of knowledge here folks...

anyone know what the ignition will cost me?
mines got no plastic down low and the parts where key goes in is hanging..
so i guess id need the plastic that should be there and new ignition..
i tried to look it up. saw 200+ for the whole thing and then like 80 bucks just for ignition.
dont know

Last edited by slitterman; 02-10-2010 at 05:56 AM. Reason: forgot a question
Old 02-10-2010, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The info I posted was from Hondata, you do not need datalog anything. You NEED a Completely Stock P30 ECU VIRGIN

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/jdm-p...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBD1-...Q5fAccessories

Yes I know it is Ebay. but you can offer the dude on the Best offer like 130 and i'm sure he will take it.

As for the ignition, go to the junk yard and look for one with keys.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:05 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i guess ill have to start the hunt for a datalog ecu.
now i may sound dumb, but i dont know, so il ask, am i looking for a datalog p30 ecu? or just a datalog ecu for a 94 civic? or a datalog ecu for b16??
guess it would help if i knew what im looking for...
forgive my lack of knowledge here folks...

anyone know what the ignition will cost me?
mines got no plastic down low and the parts where key goes in is hanging..
so i guess id need the plastic that should be there and new ignition..
i tried to look it up. saw 200+ for the whole thing and then like 80 bucks just for ignition.
dont know
once again our friends at the auto zone have the key cylinder for 54 bux roughly .. u push in a pin and that pops out... change it and u got a new key..

for the bottom plastic u can order online or goto the junk yard i say junk yard..

for the ecu search dohc vtec ecu n c wut u get

if not i found one for u.. im pretty sure its datalog if not then tell them what vtec u want n tell them u want a 2 step at around 4000 rpm..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...Q5fAccessories
Old 02-10-2010, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I have an ignition switch with keys, I will have to look again. But you can find the plastics either on H-T or ebay, they aren't that bad.
I would just get the virgin p30 ecu and call it a day, just plug and play, no time spent tying to fine tune everything. But thats just my opinion.
Spend the money you saved on replacing the ingition, plastics, etc.
PM me if you want that ignition switch.
Tim

Quick Reply: new here. getting a 95 si. new to honda yrs later