Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New to the forums, few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forums, few questions.

Hello everyone, new to the forum, not COMPLETELY new to honda's but I don't know nearly enough.

2 days ago I got a 92' EG with a GSR bottom end/trans and a B16A2 top end.

It was recently rebuilt and has around 1,500 miles on the engine. Problem is, I don't believe the kid who had it before me let it break in.

When I start it up in the morning, it ticks for a bit. After I drive it a bit then it stops, doesn't need oil.

Also, when I start it up, a little bit of smoke comes out, but if I rev. it just a little bit, the rest of the smoke comes out, and doesn't smoke anymore.

So basically,

1.) What could that ticking be? I'm assuming the valves, but why would they do that?

2.) What could that smoke be? I have no clue why it would do that, considering after that initial start up it doesn't do it anymore. It also does it every time I start up.

3.) What could that kid of ****ed up by not breaking it in? I've never had a rebuilt engine but I know that it needs breaking in. However I don't know what could happen if it wasn't broken in properly.

Either way, I'm really happy to have a Honda again. I miss driving back roads.
Went from a welded diff 240sx to this, so it's a pretty big jump hah.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to the forums, few questions.

assuming he didn't adjust the valves correctly

probably the piston rings weren't seated properly due to not breaking in the motor before smashing off

not using the right oil for the first 4-500 miles that needed to be used when you first rebuild a motor for the breaking in process and smashing away on it

BTW WELCOME TO H-T!
Old 09-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New to the forums, few questions.

Haha, thanks?

Changed the oil today. Got some stock tail lights, thank god.

I put some dry start stuff in there, so hopefully that will take care of the ticking in the morning.

As far as the piston rings, hard to tell until I drive it a bit more, like I said it only smokes for litterally 2seconds then stops.