Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New to forum/New to hondas...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum/New to hondas...

Hello... I am a long-standing member of BimmerForums, where I have heard on many occasions that Honda-Tech is the best Honda forum out there (with the least rice as well). My name is Aren, and I'm here because I am looking to buy a Honda Civic in the near future. I currently own a 97 M3. I drive maybe 20-30k miles a year, and I would hate to do that to my M3, as well as my wallet.

Looking around on edmunds.com, and various other websites, I found that the Civic in CX trim and VX trim are very fuel efficient... Extremely fuel efficient, like SICK hybrid car status!

It would be much appreciated if any owners of these two trim-model Civics can speak up about their own experiences. I would also like any other valuable information. I am not looking to modify the car. I am looking for a great daily driver that I can pick up for under $2000. Preferably around $1000, but if worth it, I'm willing to pay more.

TIA
Old 05-05-2005, 12:11 PM

Default Re: New to forum/New to hondas... (CrotchMonster)

Hahahaha dude civic's in general save you a gang of gas esp. with a stock d-series motor. I don't think it's just cx, vx, but every other civic model as well just saves gas extremely well. I've had a CX but now I own a DX and they were exactly the same in my opinion. But good luck with your civic and welcome to the family!
Old 05-05-2005, 12:13 PM

Default Re: New to forum/New to hondas... (Cboy1-EG6)

yeah I was worried that maybe these websites have numbers that are off, or do not reflect accurately the real deal...

can you guys maybe give me some averages you see on your own cars? Whether they be cx, vx, dx, etc..?
Old 05-05-2005, 12:14 PM
cute little bastard

Before the swap I had a Z1 (VX) motor. Great on gas but slow as hell. Almost dangerously slow because you can't speed up if/when necessary. Consumer guide says the VX was to get 45mpg but I average about 35 I think. My friend had a DX trim which was not bad on gas either but that extra 14hsp made a difference lol
Old 05-05-2005, 08:55 PM

Can anyone tell me about the late 80s CRX's? I'm also considering them.
Also, what's the difference between the Civic Hatch, and the CRX?
Old 05-06-2005, 05:17 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: (CrotchMonster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CrotchMonster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can anyone tell me about the late 80s CRX's? I'm also considering them.
Also, what's the difference between the Civic Hatch, and the CRX?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I assume you mean 92-95 Civic Hatchs. I never had a CRX but some differences (besides looks obviously) are cable tranny and OBD0 as opposed to OBD1.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:28 AM

Welcome! I was on bimmerforums as well when I had my 95 M3.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:50 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CrotchMonster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can anyone tell me about the late 80s CRX's? I'm also considering them.
Also, what's the difference between the Civic Hatch, and the CRX?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am a former crx owner. They are GREAT cars, absolutly love em'. If your looking for gas mileage, the 88-91 Crx HF is the way to go. Make sure its stock though. I believe the mpg rating is in the 50's if the engine is in a decent condition. Thats about what my friend was getting before he went turbo zc. I would reccomend crx hf, but its only a 2 seater....only downfall if you want to ride more than two people around...i give the hf
Old 05-06-2005, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DSM2fastEG2clean)

I have been getting around 32-33 mpg on my DX hatch, but it's not completely stock. One way or another, a cheap, basic Honda that's in good condition and kept in good condition will be good for you.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (******)

Im between 38-42 mpg in a boosted D16y7 (1997 DX) Civic hatchback.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:18 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CrotchMonster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am not looking to modify the car. I am looking for a great daily driver that I can pick up for under $2000. Preferably around $1000, but if worth it, I'm willing to pay more.

TIA</TD></TR></TABLE>

They all say that. Trust us, you'll modify it even a little bit, lol. GL!
Old 05-06-2005, 12:20 PM

thanks...
i might look for a crx. I'm not really worried about safety, as there is some level of risk driving in any car. My gf on the otherhand wont get off my *** about it being a "coffin on wheels"

I dont care really, as long as i get good mileage :lol

Do any of you know anyone in CA getting rid of one of these little monsters?
Old 05-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CrotchMonster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hello... I am a long-standing member of BimmerForums,

&lt;SNIP&gt;
Looking around on edmunds.com, and various other websites, I found that the Civic in CX trim and VX trim are very fuel efficient... Extremely fuel efficient, like SICK hybrid car status!

TIA</TD></TR></TABLE>

Welcome welcome.

I bumped some recent threads about gas mileage for you. They can be somewhat informative.

Here are there links

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1205005

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1212244

Bump them if you like them.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CrotchMonster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks...
i might look for a crx. I'm not really worried about safety, as there is some level of risk driving in any car. My gf on the otherhand wont get off my *** about it being a "coffin on wheels"

I dont care really, as long as i get good mileage :lol

Do any of you know anyone in CA getting rid of one of these little monsters?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can only say to check:

autotrader.com
thepartstrader.com
recycler.com
honda-tech.com
jdmcivic.com

Those are the main ones I go to.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CrotchMonster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am looking to buy a Honda Civic in the near future. I currently own a 97 M3. I drive maybe 20-30k miles a year, and I would hate to do that to my M3, as well as my wallet.
It would be much appreciated if any owners of these two trim-model Civics can speak up about their own experiences. I would also like any other valuable information. I am not looking to modify the car. I am looking for a great daily driver that I can pick up for under $2000. Preferably around $1000, but if worth it, I'm willing to pay more.
TIA</TD></TR></TABLE>

If all you care about is gas mileage, and low sticker price, why not just get a KIA or a Hyundai? The newer models get good gas mileage and seem to last well. A Honda is a bit pricey if you only care about those two things.

After all.. Hondaś are really designed for spanking Bimmer's..
Old 05-06-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: New to forum/New to hondas... (hondapwr)

lol... i'd get a kia or hyundai, but hondas are much more fun to drive, more reliable, safer, and hold their value better than the others.

I will say with confidence that Honda is one of the top 5 most reliable and well built cars in the world., There's no competition in the japanese market but the Toyota imo... and toyota makes some ugly cars. Ie, competition being the tercel or corola
Old 05-06-2005, 03:14 PM

my 97 civic sedan dx averages about 300 to the tank. me personally i like to keep my gas tank full and with a week's worth of driving from work to home, home to work and a little more i only spend about $10 a week to keep it full meaning that as soon as im about at half tank i go and fill her up. dont have mpg average
Old 05-11-2005, 03:36 PM

Get a 86-88 BMW 325e.

Gets 35 MPG.

It's RWD.

I might be a bit biased though....
Old 05-11-2005, 04:06 PM

welcome
Honda are amazing, i must say i do have a thing for the M3 (especially Dado's) but i drive a 95 honda cx(canadian edition) i get about 300-400 miles on a tank but i also "drive" so im sure it could be much better. Sometimes i get only 15 but other times ive got 40-50 mpg all on how u drive. Only down side is its got a speed limiter at 123mph so u cant go anywhere with it HONDAS are all around good cars though, i have convinced 5 ppl now to get a honda over anything else.