Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New Exhaust System Needed - '95 4DR

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 New Exhaust System Needed - '95 4DR

I have a 1995 Civic EX (sedan) and my cat-back exhaust has rusted up and parts of it needs to be replaced. I bought the system back in 2005 from APW and they told me I couldn't do a warranty replacement, so I'm basically left with my only option to buy a new exhaust system.

So, my car is currently on the lift without a working exhaust system and I've been looking around for a new one. I'd like to stay under $300 (OE fitment is probably fine) but I've heard both bad and good things about flowmaster and pace setter systems. The car is probably only worth about $2000 at this point so there's no reason to spend top dollar on a Apexi or DC sports kit. So, I just wanted a little feedback and perhaps an idea of where and what to look at.

The only other aftermarket exhaust component I have installed is a two-piece edelbrock header, which is in good condition and doesn't have to be replaced at this time. I would appreciate and suggestions or advice, thanks!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:42 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: New Exhaust System Needed - '95 4DR

Yonaka.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like I can get a Yonaka cat back on ebay for around $250, so that's an option I suppose. Reading up on them it seems people like them and I like the way they sound too. My magnaflow was really loud with the edelbrock header so this would probably be better. My only concern is build quality, but if it's stainless it should last at least as long as the MF did...

thx for the input!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:09 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Depending on the cost of fabrication, you could also get some pipes bent and welded, and get a Thrush muffler from Advance Auto. I went that route to get rid of an old rice can, and cost less than $150 total.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd like to avoid welding as much as possible, but I'd also need a test pipe which I can't remember if the MagnaFlow kit included one. MF sells direct fit cats but the tubing would be too small (OE) so I need a test pipe instead. Not sure if Yonaka kits include it and if I order without one I'm just going to be in the same place... with no cat or test pipe.

EDIT: looks like all the test pipes/straight cats are basically the same thing (direct fit), so i think im gonna try one of those plus a new cat back. i can get both shipped for around $275. not bad...

Last edited by EXCellR8; 01-03-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added info
Old 01-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can also vouch for the yonaka. Pretty quiet and it bolts right up. I have a 1993 sedan.

I would suggest painting the tip and back of the muffler black. It has a huge like 4" tip...only thing I don't like about it.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just wanted to follow up as I did make a decision.

I ended up buying the Yonaka CB system and a 16.5" test pipe. I was really worried about the quality of the welds but upon inspection they all look pretty good. There's one near the tip that has some excessive material but i'd rather that then too little. I put stress on all the hangers and the tip and there's no give whatsoever so I think it will be fine. The finish is actually really nice too and the branding is a nice touch.

Due to the inclement weather in the area I decided to have the new test pipe bolted up to the existing MagnaFlow with minor repairs... just to get through the winter months. I figured I would give the Yonaka a fighting chance starting in the spring and then buy another test pipe (only $30) to use with it.

Looking forward to installing it, thanks guys!