Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new exhaust, got pulled over, 1st day

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 05:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new exhaust, got pulled over, 1st day

yo, i just got my Vision exhaust put on Saturday. so yea, im driving in Pasadena at night and i get yanked off the street by some bike cop saying my exhaust is over 95db or 92 (can't remember). okay so heres the deal, i know its not correctable anymore and i dont want to pay one-hundred and some odd dollars for this ticket. how would i go about getting papers or even passing the exhaust at a local ref station? tia

ps. i recall a thread on here on "how to pass a exhaust test" but can't seem to find it. that would help alot.

btw: its not even that loud w/ a straight pipe and w/out a resonator
Old 08-16-2004, 05:25 PM

Default Re: new exhaust, got pulled over, 1st day (EJcoupe)

Read this months issue of Super Street....Very informative on the same issue.....Ricky Chu did a pretty good job that month....
Old 08-16-2004, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">btw: its not even that loud w/ a straight pipe and w/out a resonator </TD></TR></TABLE>

hmmmm did the cop notice these?
Old 08-16-2004, 05:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: new exhaust, got pulled over, 1st day (handa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by handa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hmmmm did the cop notice these?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no he didn't, THANK GOD
Old 08-16-2004, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: new exhaust, got pulled over, 1st day (MNEJ1GUY)

Yup I've read it! Funny that I just saw a guy with I believe is a n1 style who got pulled over, then a guy with a loud *** deafening motorcycle (dunno what it was) came passing by and got away with it.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:32 PM

Default Re: new exhaust, got pulled over, 1st day (BrokeAssPinoy)

When I got pulled over for my exhaust way back in the day, a new mustang drove right by the cop giving me a ticket. It was about 20x louder than mine
Old 08-16-2004, 05:32 PM

those damn harley davidson are damn louder than a full straight 3" all the way back...and they don't even get fucked over for being loud...COPS...profiling...
Old 08-16-2004, 05:42 PM

**** YEA cops are dicks. I got pulled over because the 'community watch' kept calling the cops on me saying i was speeding. WHEN I WASN'T, NOT EVEN ONCE! the cop harrased me didn't once look under my car to see that there was NO MUFFLER and no cat just straight header. he just told me to 'pull your head out of your ***' ******* bullshit i tell you straight up!. Its profiling

kent
Old 08-16-2004, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MI KENT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MI KENT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">**** YEA cops are dicks. I got pulled over because the 'community watch' kept calling the cops on me saying i was speeding. WHEN I WASN'T, NOT EVEN ONCE! the cop harrased me didn't once look under my car to see that there was NO MUFFLER and no cat just straight header. he just told me to 'pull your head out of your ***' ******* bullshit i tell you straight up!. Its profiling

kent</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok Cops are dicks but you're the one running around with no cat, or muffler...
Old 08-16-2004, 05:57 PM

Default Re: (T-RO)

Quit breakin' the law, *******!
Old 08-16-2004, 07:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

okay, i know about the profiling and everything and yes choppers are louder than **** but lets stay on topic please.

TTT
Old 08-16-2004, 07:09 PM

Default Re: (rentacop)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rentacop &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Quit breakin' the law, *******!</TD></TR></TABLE>
breaking the law? *******? cops will target an import with mods, but when your getting raped or robbed their no where in site. how is having an a/m exhaust 'breaking the law'? i don't understand. if having any modification to an exhaust, or to a car in that matter is so bad, we should all be in jail right now. boo to you.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just what the first guy said... read this months issue of Super Street.

Its 95 db's in cali i believe. But a Decible detector, they are like 60-70 bucks, follow instructions and find out how loud your exhaust is. Then go from there.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (slow fkn hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow fkn hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
how is having an a/m exhaust 'breaking the law'? i don't understand. </TD></TR></TABLE>

In PA, as long as you have a stock Cat, you are fine. By law that is the minimal. Oh and under 95 db's. You dont need a res or a muffler, but no service station will pass you for inspection. Just put a res and muffler on it. Its not that hard.

Old 08-16-2004, 07:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: new exhaust, got pulled over, 1st day (dohcdelsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just what the first guy said... read this months issue of Super Street.

Its 95 db's in cali i believe. But a Decible detector, they are like 60-70 bucks, follow instructions and find out how loud your exhaust is. Then go from there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh yea, i read that issue. i will get a decible ditector but they said they reved the car to 3k and i believe that one post on how to legalize your exhaust says the ref rev's it to 5k so theres a risk cause it gets louder as the rpm varies obviously. im thinking on putting on my stock cat and gsr muffler just to be sure but i dont know.

bump for that link on how to legalize your muffler. its a very informative post with pics and everything i need to know cause chances are im gonna try to pass this "test" which is the only way im getting out of paying for the ticket, or not?
Old 08-16-2004, 10:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

bump
Old 08-16-2004, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

rofl how did you get pulled over by a bike cop?
Old 08-16-2004, 11:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

no help
Old 08-16-2004, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJcoupe)

i would just put my stock on and got to the chp and say u fixed it....
Old 08-16-2004, 11:55 PM

Default Re: (EJcoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJcoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no help</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here you go my friend

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=867722

I got pulled over last time before i new about this thread and i paid about $113 hundered i think and i dont want you to have pay this because i also think it is bullshit when muscle cars are lounder than imports
Old 08-17-2004, 01:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

THANK, YOU! thats the exact thread i was looking for, which helped me a great deal.

i guess ima try to do a pretest tomorrow and see how loud it turns out on the db meter w/out a cat and resonator. if worse comes to worse, ill have to put on my stock cat.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:03 AM

haha i do now have a muffler on my car but no cat. cops are still inconsistent in their attempts to reduce noise pollution. yes a chopper is loud BUT A COP WON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT! why ? why will a cop do nothing about a 68 vette that is loud as F*** or a chopper (or harley) but the same cop will pull you over and harrass you.

Kent
Old 08-18-2004, 03:58 PM

Default Re: (MI KENT)

older cars are carb exempt so im not sure if the exhaust noise law applies to them
Old 08-18-2004, 04:01 PM

Default Re: (deviant1)

noise laws apply to all cars - btw

unless that cop had a portable decible meter and followed the testing procedures set out in the lastest super street he is inncorrect and any decent muffler shop like speedway can give you a certificate to pass

take that to the judge and you should be fine

it really sickens me that cops know better and don't care because many people will just pay it
Old 08-18-2004, 04:05 PM

off topic, but i was told by an officer here in virginia that motorcycles are allowed to make a lot of noise for safety, since the profile of a bike is a lot smaller than a car and more likely to be missed in the "blind spot".. say you are about to get over on the highway and dont see a bike thats right next to your quarter panel, the guy on the bike can blip his throttle a little to let you know he's there.

Quick Reply: new exhaust, got pulled over, 1st day