Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New distributor, adjusted timing, still stuttering! (d15b7)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New distributor, adjusted timing, still stuttering! (d15b7)

My brother's civic (92 4-door EX d15b7) died one day and it wouldn't start, it would just crank. We bought a brand new distributor and put it on, the car started but it was stuttering like no tommorrow everytime we accelerated. We jumped the safety connector thingy and adjusted the timing to line the marks on the crank pulley, but it still stutters, even more so when full throttle. Any ideas? Prior to the car dying none of these symptoms were present so we're pointing fingers at the distributor, but it's brand new..

Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: New distributor, adjusted timing, still stuttering! (rayzian)

with the new dist, did you get new cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires?
Old 12-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do a compression test and see if there are any codes stored in the ecu.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:51 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New distributor, adjusted timing, still stuttering! (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with the new dist, did you get new cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires? </TD></TR></TABLE>
ditto.
If you did.. Then i would say double check that Cam timing.. and put a timing gun on it, and make sure the dizzy is ligned up correctly.
Also if u got an ex.. With the orginal motor it would be a d16z6, not a d15b7.
Thats a motor out of a dx or Lx
Good luck
Old 12-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with the new dist, did you get new cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires? </TD></TR></TABLE>

We got new sparkplugs which helped abit (didn't stutter as much), I assumed since the distributor was brand new we wouldn't need a new cap and rotor?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by POE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ditto.
If you did.. Then i would say double check that Cam timing.. and put a timing gun on it, and make sure the dizzy is ligned up correctly.
Also if u got an ex.. With the orginal motor it would be a d16z6, not a d15b7.
Thats a motor out of a dx or Lx
Good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah we used a timing gun to line the marks on the pulley by moving the distributor.

It's a Canadian EX so it has the b7 instead of the z6.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:05 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

hmm.. i didnt know that.. wierd.
And was the dizzy from a autozone or somthing.. Maybe it was a defect.. take it back and try a nother one. Double check the timing marks though on the cam timing.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (POE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by POE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm.. i didnt know that.. wierd.
And was the dizzy from a autozone or somthing.. Maybe it was a defect.. take it back and try a nother one. Double check the timing marks though on the cam timing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, when my brother first got the car and I heard it was an EX i went crazy because i thought it'd have the z6...

The dizzy was straight from a Honda dealership...

the timing, you're suppose to line up the middle of the 3 marks or the 1 mark that's further?
Old 12-17-2006, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rayzian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We got new sparkplugs which helped abit (didn't stutter as much), I assumed since the distributor was brand new we wouldn't need a new cap and rotor?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you used the cap and rotor from the old dist then you would want to pick up a new set.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you used the cap and rotor from the old dist then you would want to pick up a new set. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Naw, the new distributor already had a brand new cap and rotor (I assume since the distributor was also new). We tried using the old cap and still it stutters like crazy.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How old is the fuel filter? Did you try changing that out?
Old 12-18-2006, 12:01 AM

Timing gun??.. I've never used one of those to install a distributor.. I usually just do it the old fashion way, works like a charm.. As for the spark plugs and plug wires.. Are they OEM, you said new plugs, cap, rotor, dist, but nothing about the wires.. Nothing works better on Honda's than OEM ignition parts, especially wires and plugs since everyone likes to put in their own champion plugs and nology plug wires.. NGK plugs and OEM wires..
Old 12-18-2006, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New distributor, adjusted timing, still stuttering! (PnX-R)

u might have gotten a vtec dizzy. i did a ls swap this week and tried starting it up. finding out that the dizzy wsa bad. so i tried a gsr just to fire it up. and it was stuttering like crazy. so i got a ls dizzy the next day and put it on and fired it up and runs like a champ now. just try returning the dizzy for another one and hopefully that will solve your problem
Old 12-18-2006, 06:53 AM

Default Re: New distributor, adjusted timing, still stuttering! (mixxxwell)

i have a canadian ex, and mines the d16z6?
Old 12-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New distributor, adjusted timing, still stuttering! (PnX-R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PnX-R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Timing gun??.. I've never used one of those to install a distributor.. I usually just do it the old fashion way, works like a charm.. As for the spark plugs and plug wires.. Are they OEM, you said new plugs, cap, rotor, dist, but nothing about the wires.. Nothing works better on Honda's than OEM ignition parts, especially wires and plugs since everyone likes to put in their own champion plugs and nology plug wires.. NGK plugs and OEM wires..</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, we used the timing gun to adjust the timing not install the distributor.. as for the plugs, everything was OEM, i bought the plugs straight from honda (NGKs) but didn't bother replacing the wires because all prior to replacing the distributor, the car ran flawlessly.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mixxxwell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u might have gotten a vtec dizzy. i did a ls swap this week and tried starting it up. finding out that the dizzy wsa bad. so i tried a gsr just to fire it up. and it was stuttering like crazy. so i got a ls dizzy the next day and put it on and fired it up and runs like a champ now. just try returning the dizzy for another one and hopefully that will solve your problem</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess that's a possibility, any codes or anything to check on the dist to tell if it's for a z6 vs a b7?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondacivic995 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a canadian ex, and mines the d16z6?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Strange..... what year?