Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new civic owner, need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new civic owner, need opinions

been lurking here for the past month, finally decided to register.

bought a used 96 civic si to use for work, the previous owner told me that the engine was replaced and have about 115,000 kms on it, body is 195,000kms, engine is d16y8

i only owned the civic for about 3 weeks and already put 14,000kms on it (all highway) and i get an average of 33MPG and 41MPG driving 90kph.

anyways, i found a shop here that can swap a b18c/trans gsr for $4200CAD
the civic right now is all stock, now im looking for more power, not sure if turbo will be good specially if 99% of the time is all highway driving.
I also dunno how good the fuel economy on b18/16.

i need some of your opinions if i should;
a) turbo the d
b) swap a gsr
c) just add i/h/e on the d
d) keep it stock for fuel economy

thanks
Old 01-13-2009, 09:12 PM

Default Re: new civic owner, need opinions

turbo the d, all you have to do is get a DX tranny, because it has longer gears, so that you could cruise on the hightway at low RPM's....and a 96 si? ive never seen one lol
Old 01-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redracerk20
turbo the d, all you have to do is get a DX tranny, because it has longer gears, so that you could cruise on the hightway at low RPM's....and a 96 si? ive never seen one lol
96 si canada only.

will a dx trans bolt on si d-series?
when im at 110kph, rpm is at 3K

how does b-series trans do on highway cruising? i heard around 4K on 70mph? if so not so good on fuel economy consider it needs premium too
Old 01-13-2009, 10:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redracerk20
ive never seen one lol
canada's version of our EX. to the op your dx's trans would be long enough geared to still probably keep the car out of boost on the highway unless you are always ripping it

i don't know how the b18/gsr set up would work but i know in my b16a/b16 trans i am averaging 36 when its dry and i'm not driving like an a-hole in the snow.

all these motor's are pretty good on economy plus the gsr trans i believe is a little bit longer geared.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An Si in Canada is an EX in the US
Old 01-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think all d's except for the sole dohc zc are direct bolt on for most of the parts, transmission included, i have a z6 in my lx and i ran the d15b7 tranny for a while before i eventually switched to the z6 tranny.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and yes all d-series tran's are interchangable except old EF cable tran's because they are cable driven and hasport does not make a conversion kit for d-series like that.

the dx tran's will make your car noticably slower, but yes it will fit. might get better mpg with it though
Old 01-13-2009, 10:35 PM
quicchatch253

why you gonn waste ya money on a civic lolzzzz
keep it stocccc
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 01-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

D
Old 01-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Personally I drive a 96 with a GSR and it gets decent gas milage but you are looking a quite a bit of money and acura parts cost almost double of honda parts. Having said that and as much as I would hate to say it, clean up the engine you have, add a good intake, header, and a better exhaust. Change out the shocks an springs and add strut bars to front and rear. I'd say you could do all the for roughly 2K and every article I have read in the past states that they are the best things you can do to you daily to make it more fuel efficient and it is easy.

Also I have seen some decent boosted d-series. Keep in mind that to do a swap takes quite a bit of money, and a solid free weekend, not to mention all the things that go with it. You'll save yourself a hassle; however, if you are into that sort of thing then go for it and I can tell you other than the price of parts you won't go wrong the a B18C1 or if you are feeling a little more ballsy the B18C5.

It all depends on you really there are options for whatever you want your car to be. It just depends on how deep your pockets are
Old 01-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

turbo the d.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all your suggestions (except quicchatch253)
the car doesn't cost many, it makes money

infinitypro12, thats a good suggestion. what kind of decent gas mileage you're talking about? i saw 29MPG on fuelgov on 96 integra gsr on highway.

i think i will go and do i/h/e and low/coilovers/wheels. and the rest on maintenance.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bonjoey

bought a used 96 civic si to use for work, the previous owner told me that the engine was replaced and have about 115,000 kms on it, body is 195,000kms, engine is d16y8

i only owned the civic for about 3 weeks and already put 14,000kms on it (all highway) and i get an average of 33MPG and 41MPG driving 90kph.

the civic right now is all stock, now im looking for more power, not sure if turbo will be good specially if 99% of the time is all highway driving.

a) turbo the d
b) swap a gsr

thanks
a) is rice
b) is a great idea
c) couldn't get more rice than that
d) thats thinking smart

...So I'm gonna have to go with option (b)
Old 01-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my buddys boosted z6 4 door gets 30 or so (easy driving/highway)
so if you stay out of boost you should be still getting great mileage

turbo d's are not rice only someone that got his a$$ handed to him by a turbo d would say that and to anyone else who thinks d's are rice need to GTFO
Old 01-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A turbo d is far from being rice. A ricey car is one modified for appearance (usually poorly) and nothing else. Although a turbo d would be alot of fun, there would be increased maintenance and lessened (sometimes) reliability. If I had to choose between a mild turbo d and a GSR making similar power, I would take the stock engine any day.

Your initial decision of a GSR will be reasonable on gas and I doubt the RPM will be high enough at 110kmph with a GSR transmission to cause trouble (I'm sure someone can give you the exact RPM at that speed). My B16 screams on the highway but because it is making more power, it has to work less and as a result the mileage is almost identical to that of my old d16a6.

$4200 sounds reasonable if they change the timing belt/water pump and other maintenance issues before the install. It will save a pile of trouble later on.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL@ rice, thats 10-12yrs ago man!... my old crapalier was considered a rice. but i do love rice, can't eat without it!

black4thgenef, now you make me think about swapping a gsr motor.

$4200 for everything installed, including t-belt, not sure about w-pump.
engine has 40,000kms.

the only thing thats holding me on gsr swap is, i will be putting at least 3-5K kms/week on it
Old 01-14-2009, 04:41 PM

First off, Don't listen to T3KNiQe. His posts are ALWAYS based on opinions regarding DOHC > SOHC SOHC = RICE. Most pointless poster IMHO.

It all depends on what you are looking to do with your car. Are you looking for just a bit more pep out of your car? A GSR is actually quite the jump from a d series. If you like that nice all motor feel then I would try the GSR. Turbo D series put out great numbers when built correctly. But regarding fuel economy you would be better off with the GSR. People had good suggestions on getting a longer geared tranny. IMO DX transmission would be perfect. CX is just whack. Second gear to like 80 MPH [not accurate, but I have ridden in a car with a cx tranny! x] ]. As for going i/h/e on the D series, its both a good idea and not so much. D series motors do not respond very well to bolt ons. But having a nice intake header and exhaust for your future swap sets you up!

I personally miss getting 38 MPG in my d16z6, but I love the power change with a swap. Again its all in preference!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:07 PM

Save your money in the mean time go into force induction pages start researching and do a lot of researching... THEN BOOST THE HELL OUTTA IT MAN lol
Old 01-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a) turbo the d
b) swap a gsr

thanks
turbo the d
Old 01-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mrmatt3465
First off, Don't listen to T3KNiQe. His posts are ALWAYS based on opinions regarding DOHC > SOHC SOHC = RICE. Most pointless poster IMHO.
Sorry I've just never wasted my time with modifying single cam engines & transmissions designed only for low emissions & fuel efficiency, to me its kinda like an oxymoron if you will.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all your suggestions (except quicchatch253)
the car doesn't cost many, it makes money

infinitypro12, thats a good suggestion. what kind of decent gas mileage you're talking about? i saw 29MPG on fuelgov on 96 integra gsr on highway.

i think i will go and do i/h/e and low/coilovers/wheels. and the rest on maintenance.
I'd say roughly a little over 300 miles on a tank of gas but that is driving like an occasional a$$ so I would round up to 30 but I did calculate it a few times and came up with 32 31 and 29 so in that area. I wouldn't think that it is "rice" per se to do i/h/e and low/coilovers/wheels as long as you keep it tasteful and practical. Take my advice, don't go too low on your care, sure slammed is hella cool but your ride becomes not so forgiving and speed bumps are a pain. Again, just a suggestion but I do speak from knowing first hand.

As far as rice really goes, we all drive hondas guys accept that if you do anything to it that makes it louder, lower, or "cooler" people will think it is rice, ha ha. As far as my definition, crooked exhaust, underglow, huge vinyl decals, and RC car wings are pretty ricey. But then again that is my opinion and I realize that people put a lot of work into something like that, so that is commendable, just not my cup of tea...or rice, ha ha.

So, bonjoey I would say do what you want as long as it makes you happy. Doing what I stated earlier will save you time, money, and will be easy enough to become exposed to how the car is put together. This way you can get use to the car and if you want more power later, build up a B-series in your garage piece by piece so you know it is done right and not a junkyard POS that ended up there because some 16 year old thought he was cool and crashed his car.

In closing, this is my opinion and ultimately you can decide for yourself.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do the GS-R swap.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a) turbo the d
b) swap a gsr

thanks
Turbo the D but dont swap on a DX tranny thats just dumb.
A turbo D will get almost the same MPG as your getting now if you lay off the boost when you dont need it =P.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL im getting 50/50 on gsr swap and turbo the d.....

I have about 5G to spend, d16y8 on it still runs and pulls good. i can turbo it and when it blows, just swap another one or build a bullet proof d16.

on the other hand, having a N/A b18c will be a great sleeper and less maintenance than turbo-d.

hmmmmmm
Old 01-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL im getting 50/50 on gsr swap and turbo the d.....

I have about 5G to spend, d16y8 on it still runs and pulls good. i can turbo it and when it blows, just swap another one or build a bullet proof d16.

on the other hand, having a N/A b18c will be a great sleeper and less maintenance than turbo-d.

hmmmmmm
Glad that your thinking about it, you need to do A LOT of research.

None of us here can tell you what you want, only you know.

We can give you are opinions, but our opinions are biased (like mine).

But you need to be sure about what you really really want becasue once you spent your money, you've spent the money.

Is this waht you want?

http://image.superstreetonline.com/f...da-civic-1.jpg

Or is this what you want?

http://members.***.net/tbone327/crx/...20P9230001.JPG