Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new cams for vtece

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new cams for vtece

Hey Yall
Long time reader here, just got my first honda!!!! its a mighty d15b vtece? eg4 civic. It goes fairly hard when vtec kicks in but I was wanting to make it faster.
I was talking to a mate of mine who thinks the intake cam from a b16a integra will fit in it and work good and make it go harder so im going to do that.

But also I had a thought after watching how vtec works here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcT_ZyY3F0k
that all I need to do to make more air go into engine is have bigger cams so what im going to do is wrap my cams bump things in tape afew times to make the bumps about 4mm or so higher so that it pushes the cam spring open longer and lets more air in. the tape will wear out after 10000+miles so will have to redo it once a year.

But I think it will make my car go way harder and keep with typeR integras on the highway.

What do you think? How much power will I make?
Old 08-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new cams for vtece

That doesn't sound like a good idea. It's like a half-*** way of doing things. Honestly if you want bigger cams best thing to do is wait... and save up the money for a new set. It's much better to wait and buy quality parts and do it right the first time instead of doing something like that. That's just my 2 cents but do as you will.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You need to use teflon tape so you dont wear down the tappets face. Done it a few times myself for 1/4 mile runs and it really bumps up the power. Also be sure to re-do your valve lash other wise youll be left with them open a little bit.

Another way to do it more permantly is to re-grind them with a die grinder. Remove all the bits around the bump then re do the valve lash.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by majinsoftware
You need to use teflon tape so you dont wear down the tappets face. Done it a few times myself for 1/4 mile runs and it really bumps up the power. Also be sure to re-do your valve lash other wise youll be left with them open a little bit.

Another way to do it more permantly is to re-grind them with a die grinder. Remove all the bits around the bump then re do the valve lash.
Why would I want to grind my cams down? that would have to opposite effect on what im doing.

Ok will make sure I get some Teflon tape, Will be doing this next weekend so can post up how it goes. Dont know what a valve lash is. Will google it otherwise will go see my friend as he should know how to adjust it.
Thanks for your help.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You grind down the bits that arnt the bump so then the bump is bigger in perspective.
Also makes the cams lighter so you can rev higher.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This guy majin has no idea what hes talking about do not listen to him. And no, you cannot use the b16 cam it will not fit in the sc. Putting tape on the cam is seriously the dumbest thing ive ever heard!! No you will not keep up with type Rs are you serious and i can almost garauntee the tape will not last 10000 miles this thread is a joke!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

virgineg6: There's some fine trolling going on in this thread buddy. No need to stress.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by DSMAddicted
virgineg6: There's some fine trolling going on in this thread buddy. No need to stress.
yeah, this one's a good laugh.

great quotes too!

"Why would I want to grind my cams down? that would have to opposite effect on what im doing."

"Dont know what a valve lash is. Will google it..."

"...makes the cams lighter so you can rev higher."

"You need to use teflon tape so you dont wear down the tappets face."

because the "tappets" (what tappets?) are made out of chalk? oh wait, no. they are made out of high wear-resistant hardened steel.

haha awesome!