Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New to building! '99 Civic DX

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 New to building! '99 Civic DX

Hey guys I am completely clueless when it comes to doing much with cars, but I have figured it's time to fix up my civic. Ive had it for almost 3 years and I haven't don't anything to it other then change out the bulbs for the headlights. I know I know... not the best way to maintain a car, I did do all the necessary regular maintenance of course. Anyways im looking to get started in a major way, and also if so, i'd like to do most of the work myself. When I have time il post pics, but to be honest I have no clue on much of the specifics of what im dealing with, so give me some time to hit the ground running. Its a 99 civic dx, needs a paint job, passenger side mirror (thanks to my wife), and what I would imagine to be quite a bit of body work. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:54 PM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Default Re: New to building! '99 Civic DX

Read the FAQs
Old 03-31-2013, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

well if you're going for looks(in the sense of body repair) take a trip down to the body shop in you're area. but if you'r looking for/into an engine swap B18's or B16's fit with relative ease into you'r civic. Don't waste you'r money on a d-series what's your budget btw
Old 03-31-2013, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First figure out what you want to do first cosmetics or motor them begin your build the way you want.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a decent cash flow, aside from bills not to much comes home, but I mean if I find something specific to fix one piece at a time then I can always save. I got a part time job but they give full time hours, and that's on the side of my military pay. But im thinking of working on the engine and all that first. I think its better to have a good engine first before the outside looks nice but sounds and feels like **** haha.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So Swapped, I did a little bit of searching on the b18 and b16. I personally like the specs on the JDM B18C Type R. But is there any insight that you could lend on how that would play out? Or where to get something like that?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AoS_Enigma
So Swapped, I did a little bit of searching on the b18 and b16. I personally like the specs on the JDM B18C Type R. But is there any insight that you could lend on how that would play out? Or where to get something like that?
The type R is rather expensive 4k to 5k(for what you get) the b18C1(2.5K-3K) is a great engine to boost(trubo). in short and if done/tuned right a Boosted b18c1 will walk a Type r with bolt on's(will cost more but the gain over the type r is worth it). but if you're set on a JDM type R HMO(hondamotorsonline) is a great place to get either.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok well that info right there is extremely helpful. As you know my car gets roughly 106 hp, so I can see the b18c1 being a significant increase as its specs say its at 170 hp. Now on the side of you saying something about a turbo. I heard that those can mess your engine up, like I said earlier im no pro so I really wouldn't know about the effects on the engine.
Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
The type R is rather expensive 4k to 5k(for what you get) the b18C1(2.5K-3K) is a great engine to boost(trubo). in short and if done/tuned right a Boosted b18c1 will walk a Type r with bolt on's(will cost more but the gain over the type r is worth it). but if you're set on a JDM type R HMO(hondamotorsonline) is a great place to get either.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is the car manual or automatic?
Old 04-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RT_NEWYORK
is the car manual or automatic?
Its Manual, 5 speed.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok my second question for you, have you driven a car with more horsepower than what you have now?
Old 04-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouln't try turboing you'r own car. It can mess you'r egine up if mistakes are made talk to a shop/tuner in you'r area. The B18C1 is a great engine(i've got a semi built one) the nice thing is you notice the gain with each bolt on more than you would with a type r(its alllready really good). bolt on B18C1 w/turbo you could see 300+/- hp.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok my second question for you, have you driven a car with more horsepower than what you have now?
It really depends on that aspect of the question, because technically yes. Im in the army so vehicles with more hp yes, but everyday drivers ive only driven my buddies Trans Am once, and I have a cbr600 f4i but in the most specific way. No I haven't had much practice with a car of more Horsepower.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouln't try turboing you'r own car. It can mess you'r egine up if mistakes are made talk to a shop/tuner in you'r area. The B18C1 is a great engine(i've got a semi built one) the nice thing is you notice the gain with each bolt on more than you would with a type r(its alllready really good). bolt on B18C1 w/turbo you could see 300+/- hp.
What do you mean each "bolt on?"
Old 04-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok all the hondas i've owned before my 2000 Si all had low horses like 127 tops maybe, the 2000 Si has the B16a2 which makes roughly 160 horses, so 160 is the most Ive driven and when I made the jump from the single cams to the B16 I felt the difference soooooooo much (even though in reality the b16 isnt that fast) My vote is you drop in a GSR (b18c1) you will feel a significant power increase and will instantly make your car fun to drive. I say forget about turbos. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok all the hondas i've owned before my 2000 Si all had low horses like 127 tops maybe, the 2000 Si has the B16a2 which makes roughly 160 horses, so 160 is the most Ive driven and when I made the jump from the single cams to the B16 I felt the difference soooooooo much (even though in reality the b16 isnt that fast) My vote is you drop in a GSR (b18c1) you will feel a significant power increase and will instantly make your car fun to drive. I say forget about turbos. Just my 2 cents.
just a mildly built B18C1 it LOTS of fun ! the TQ of the b18 over the 16 is what you'll like imo. if you HAVE the money on hand boost is easy HP/TQ but if not there's always later down the road.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well if you're going for looks(in the sense of body repair) take a trip down to the body shop in you're area. but if you'r looking for/into an engine swap B18's or B16's fit with relative ease into you'r civic. Don't waste you'r money on a d-series what's your budget btw
this is the most crock of shyt ive ever heard... a boosted D will walk a swapped gsr motor for the same price it would cost for a b18c1.dont knock it till you try it!.....Anyway...

Boost or swap and there is alot of info on both either way...
Im personally running the Edelbrock turbo kit with a ball bearing Garret T28 turbo and make full boost by 2800rpms. You can spend less on a journal bearing turbo and hit full boost more near 4-5k. a boosted d can put down 200hp easily. and your not going to get that from any swap but a b18c5 which cost 5k alone along with any k20a1/z1 swap. Putting bolt ons on a LS b18 is just as ballless as putting them on a d16. There is nothing fabolous about an LS swap it still has NO *****! A B16 isnt nothing to go run home and tell mom EITHER even they are gutless. Without Boost your not getting much from your honda... You can say Forget about turbos but that extra 30hp is nothing. Even a GSR motor isnt going to be amazingly fast. after all the money u spend making that GSR 200hp which throwing a header and intake on is not gonna give u anywhere near 200hp to the wheels like you would boosting your D(correctly)...... Nothing is more fun then having a boosted car that could walk any bolt on swapped honda and have the luxury to listen to the turbo spool and Blow off valve and still get 28mpg... Your already going to be running premium gass with any B16 or b18C1 swap. These small motors dont make alot of TQ if u want TQ buy a mustang or boost .
Old 04-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
this is the most crock of shyt ive ever heard... a boosted D will walk a swapped gsr motor for the same price it would cost for a b18c1.dont knock it till you try it!.....Anyway...

Im personally running the Edelbrock turbo kit with a ball bearing Garret T28 turbo and make full boost by 2800rpms. You can spend less on a journal bearing turbo and hit full boost more near 4-5k. a boosted d can put down 200hp easily. and your not going to get that from any swap but a b18c5 which cost 5k alone along with any k20a1/z1 swap. Putting bolt ons on a LS b18 is just as ballless as putting them on a d16. There is nothing fabolous about an LS swap it still has NO *****! A B16 isnt nothing to go run home and tell mom EITHER about there its even gutless. Without Boost your not getting much from your honda
From a DIY/limited know how stand point a swap is easier than DIY turboing no douting that. Maybe not for you or me but in OP's case i'd say so that's why i suggested it off the bat.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From a DIY/limited know how stand point a swap is easier than DIY turboing no douting that. Maybe not for you or me but in OP's case i'd say so that's why i suggested it off the bat.
that was my reasoning behind just dropping in a gsr and calling it a day also.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Turbos are not that complicated... alil more involved to them yes but once u understand the system its cake. mounting and clocking the turbo,manifold,and downpipe and getting a sandwich adapter to run the oil feed line. mounting the intercooler and intercooler piping. running two vacumm lines to the BOV and wastegate. Tapping the oil pan for the drain. Most turbos do not require coolant lines to be ran which isnt hard either. I think installing a turbo install is Easier then any swap. Getting a decent basemap for a boosted stock D series is not hard to get. I recomend Phearable.net ive never had a problem with his basemaps were conservative and almost spot on. If you had any problems with your install thats what we are here for.... even people that do swaps come into problems....
Old 04-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Turbos are not that complicated... alil more involved to them yes but once u understand the system its cake. mounting and clocking the turbo,manifold,and downpipe and getting a sandwich adapter to run the oil feed line. mounting the intercooler and intercooler piping. running two vacumm lines to the BOV and wastegate. Tapping the oil pan for the drain. Most turbos do not require coolant lines to be ran which isnt hard either. I think installing a turbo install is Easier then any swap. Getting a decent basemap for a boosted stock D series is not hard to get. I recomend Phearable.net ive never had a problem with his basemaps were conservative and almost spot on. If you had any problems with your install thats what we are here for.... even people that do swaps come into problems....
nothing about that sounds cake than taking one engine out and putting another one that you buy as a whole NA swap.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im personally running the Edelbrock turbo kit with a ball bearing Garret T28 turbo and make full boost by 2800rpms. You can spend less on a journal bearing turbo and hit full boost more near 4-5k. a boosted d can put down 200hp easily. and your not going to get that from any swap but a b18c5 which cost 5k alone along with any k20a1/z1 swap. Putting bolt ons on a LS b18 is just as ballless as putting them on a d16. There is nothing fabolous about an LS swap it still has NO *****! A B16 isnt nothing to go run home and tell mom EITHER even they are gutless. Without Boost your not getting much from your honda... You can say Forget about turbos but that extra 30hp is nothing. Even a GSR motor isnt going to be amazingly fast. after all the money u spend making that GSR 200hp which throwing a header and intake on is not gonna give u anywhere near 200hp to the wheels like you would boosting your D(correctly)...... Nothing is more fun then having a boosted car that could walk any bolt on swapped honda and have the luxury to listen to the turbo spool and Blow off valve and still get 28mpg... Your already going to be running premium gass with any B16 or b18C1 swap. These small motors dont make alot of TQ if u want TQ buy a mustang or boost .
So basically your saying that dropping in a D16 would basically be the same as the other engines, but the only difference would be having the ability to kinda grow with the D16 instead of just having a b18c1-c5 dropped in. Right? If that's so then that kinda sounds good. It also sounds like its much cheaper in comparison but with the right amount of time and money it can be just as good as the GSR or better from the point of view as in getting to really hear my engine and turbo get off. NOW! one weird thing that I should let you guys know, is that My gauges are strictly Temp/mph-kph/Fuel... I have no gauge that tells me my rpm's which I figured was weird because its a manual car. Is there anything abnormal about that?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No all DX civics came with no TACH.... If you do plan on boosting i would atleast get a boost and oil pressure gauge. As for the Tach you can swap in any civic cluster from 96-00 even the si cluster is plug and play... I personally have 97-01 CRV cluster which also fits Plug and play... No there is a downfall to the Stock D series motor. the stock rods are toothpicks and can only take so much... the limit of thumb is 200hp some people make alil more. The B series blocks can take up to about 300hp on a stock block.. I was just Noting that if u have a D series and all u have to do is buy a turbo kit you have the potential to make 200hp and daily drive it. For the price of a good turbo kit u would spend atleast that much to swap just a B18c1 in. The parts for d series are half the price. By the time u buy a turbo kit for your B18c1 to make 300+hp. You could have rebuilt your D series with eagle rods and pistons to make 300+hp with the right turbo. Im just saying that if u stay with the hand ur delt ( d series) then u stay ahead of the game. A built D series Block i feel would be more reliable then a GSR boosted on a stock block. You blow a GSR motor ur in the hole 3k but if you blow a stock D16 up your out maybe 500 bux as they are a dime a dozen. Only Bad part about D series is thier transmissions dont like to hold up with alot of power but not many do. LoL You could always swap an LS motor in for cheap and boost it. they can make more power then a D16 Stock for stock. In stock form a LS B18 lacks loads of power like the D16 and needs boost to get it rolling.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No all DX civics came with no TACH.... If you do plan on boosting i would atleast get a boost and oil pressure gauge. As for the Tach you can swap in any civic cluster from 96-00 even the si cluster is plug and play... I personally have 97-01 CRV cluster which also fits Plug and play... No there is a downfall to the Stock D series motor. the stock rods are toothpicks and can only take so much... the limit of thumb is 200hp some people make alil more. The B series blocks can take up to about 300hp on a stock block.. I was just Noting that if u have a D series and all u have to do is buy a turbo kit you have the potential to make 200hp and daily drive it. For the price of a good turbo kit u would spend atleast that much to swap just a B18c1 in. The parts for d series are half the price. By the time u buy a turbo kit for your B18c1 to make 300+hp. You could have rebuilt your D series with eagle rods and pistons to make 300+hp with the right turbo. Im just saying that if u stay with the hand ur delt ( d series) then u stay ahead of the game. A built D series Block i feel would be more reliable then a GSR boosted on a stock block. You blow a GSR motor ur in the hole 3k but if you blow a stock D16 up your out maybe 500 bux as they are a dime a dozen. Only Bad part about D series is thier transmissions dont like to hold up with alot of power but not many do. LoL You could always swap an LS motor in for cheap and boost it. they can make more power then a D16 Stock for stock. In stock form a LS B18 lacks loads of power like the D16 and needs boost to get it rolling.
I appreciate the info. Any amount of money I can save when having to swap out engines, is a good thing! so if the D series can be boosted to roughly 200 hp then I might have to look into that. Now if I was to do that, what size turbo or anything that's sort of specific that I should look for? I ask because you seem like you know a lot about the D series engines.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I personally have a gt28rs ball bearing turbo off a S14 Silvia they also came off of the Nissan 300zx TT. They full spool at 3k.... or you can get a journal bearing turbo NO BIGGER then 57 Trim which is as big as u want to go. I got my last turbo for 700 new straight out the nissan box. If your ok with just making 200hp a 14b turbo off an RX7 would be perfect and it is a small turbo that will spool quickly.... just remember any turbo u get u will need to get the turbo manifold to match the flange of the turbo. But idealy You want a T3 50 trim turbo with a .48 A/R which the turbo should be good for 400hp. Room to breathe if u ever do build the motor. Even if u swap to an LS down the road any turbo will be universal and all you would need to buy is a Turbo manifold for the b18 everything else would work.

Quick Reply: New to building! '99 Civic DX